What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

15 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Archie Shepp, Parisian Concert Volume 1 (Impro)

From about what period is it, late 70´s ? I don´t have that but have one from that mini-label "Impro" which is dedicated to Bird "Bird Fire" with his working quartet he had then: German-French pianist Siegfried Kessler, Bob Cunningham and Clifford Jarvis. (Lover Man, Au Privave, Parker´s Mood, Now´s the Time). 

I saw that group in spring 1979 and it was one of the greatest live concerts I saw. Something I still remember 40 years later. 

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

From about what period is it, late 70´s ? I don´t have that but have one from that mini-label "Impro" which is dedicated to Bird "Bird Fire" with his working quartet he had then: German-French pianist Siegfried Kessler, Bob Cunningham and Clifford Jarvis. (Lover Man, Au Privave, Parker´s Mood, Now´s the Time). 

I saw that group in spring 1979 and it was one of the greatest live concerts I saw. Something I still remember 40 years later. 

October 18, 1977 at the Palais de Glaces. Cameron Brown on bass, Clifford Jarvis on drums, and Siegfried Kessler on piano. An excellent recording.

This was a classic when I was at high School. Those Italian LPs were legendary , "Here is Miles Davis at his rare of all rarest Performances" (Kings of Jazz Series). 

Actually it´s a very boppish Miles from 1951 at Birdland, on Side 1 with J.J.Johnson, Sonny Rollins, Kenny Drew, Tommy Potter and Art Blaker (really an All Star Band), and on Side 2 also an Allstar Band Miles with Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Big Nick Nicholas (on the Album cover wrong: Sonny Rollins), Billie Taylor, Charles Mingus, Art Blakey. 

The tunes is: "Half Nelson"  "Mike´s Blues" (wrong title, the tune is "Down"), "The Squirrel" and "Move". 

This is Miles playing very high Register and fast. Like Diz or Fats. I think, he is really very strong here and this is first class be bop. 

The Album...….. then more than 40 years ago we just said "The Red Miles Davis Album"...…. Play that "Red Miles Davis Album" again…..

R-7437583-1441589533-2789.jpeg.jpg

35 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

This was a classic when I was at high School. Those Italian LPs were legendary , "Here is Miles Davis at his rare of all rarest Performances" (Kings of Jazz Series). 

Actually it´s a very boppish Miles from 1951 at Birdland, on Side 1 with J.J.Johnson, Sonny Rollins, Kenny Drew, Tommy Potter and Art Blaker (really an All Star Band), and on Side 2 also an Allstar Band Miles with Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Big Nick Nicholas (on the Album cover wrong: Sonny Rollins), Billie Taylor, Charles Mingus, Art Blakey. 

The tunes is: "Half Nelson"  "Mike´s Blues" (wrong title, the tune is "Down"), "The Squirrel" and "Move". 

This is Miles playing very high Register and fast. Like Diz or Fats. I think, he is really very strong here and this is first class be bop. 

The Album...….. then more than 40 years ago we just said "The Red Miles Davis Album"...…. Play that "Red Miles Davis Album" again…..

35 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

It looks like this was all released on cd by Blue Note as "Birdland 1951" (Blue Note 41779) along with a previously unreleased date from Feb 17, 1951-- my 8th Birthday.  

@medjuck: You are Right: Now the best way to listen to it is the Blue Note CD, because it also has a second unreleased set from the first band, and the unreleased "Lady Bird" with the Big Nicholas-Lockjaw Tenor Tandem. 

But for nostalgic reasons I still spin sometimes the "Red Miles Davis Album". If I want to listen the the whole Music, I listen to the CD. 

Hey, here´s another one from that series: Miles with Stan Getz from february 1950, also at Birdland, featuring also J.J. Johnson, Tadd Dameron, Gene Ramey and of Course Art Blakey. I don´t know if this set was issued on CD also. Anyway, this is  an LP from the same obscure Italian Label "Kings of Jazz" and the title is "Here are Miles Davis and Stan Getz at their rare of all rarest Performances". We called this "The Grey Miles DAvis Album". So, you had to listen to the red and the gray Miles DAvis album:D

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Gheorghe

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Hey, here´s another one from that series: Miles with Stan Getz from february 1950, also at Birdland, featuring also J.J. Johnson, Tadd Dameron, Gene Ramey and of Course Art Blakey. I don´t know if this set was issued on CD also. Anyway, this is  an LP from the same obscure Italian Label "Kings of Jazz" and the title is "Here are Miles Davis and Stan Getz at their rare of all rarest Performances". We called this "The Grey Miles DAvis Album". So, you had to listen to the red and the gray Miles DAvis album:D

Unbenannt.png

It's a little hard to tell, but Birdland Days features Getz and Miles at Birdland in 1950.  Perhaps most of that LP can be found on this compilation.

R-2304616-1468125898-8009.jpeg.jpg

Then there is another PD variant called Move, which also has a lot of the same material.

Edited by ejp626

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

It's a little hard to tell, but Birdland Days features Getz and Miles at Birdland in 1950.  Perhaps most of that LP can be found on this compilation.

R-2304616-1468125898-8009.jpeg.jpg

Then there is another PD variant called Move, which also has a lot of the same material.

Oh thank you. I´m sure this must be the same session I have on the italian LP. Those live sessions from Miles from the early 50´s all are really treasures and it´s completly different to the "Birth of the Cool", it´s pure be-bop. I have the Juni 1950 sessions with J.J. Johnson and Brew Moore, the Miles-Stan Getz also 1950, the 1951 stuff and one CD which has 2 sessions one from 1948 with Lee Konitz at the Roost and 1952 with Jackie McLean from Birdland. A lot of Hours of early Miles live. Not to Forget the 1949 Paris stuff. 

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

We called this "The Grey Miles DAvis Album". So, you had to listen to the red and the gray Miles DAvis album:D

:D  Even when listening to nothing but jazz, you all were obviously influenced heavily by the typical Beatles record "lingo" of the day. :lol:
(Those were the - 70s - days ...)

58 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

:D  Even when listening to nothing but jazz, you all were obviously influenced heavily by the typical Beatles record "lingo" of the day. :lol:
(Those were the - 70s - days ...)

Since Im absolutly an ignorant with all what´s not jazz , I don´t really know what it was with the Beatles, but I think what you want to explain to me is how we boys in highschool swapped records or someone borrowed you the record and you made a cassete recording out of it.

During intermissions when we went down in the school court to smoke (yeah that´s how it was) this guy and that guy came to you and asked "Do you already have ....... this, that ?

I´ll never forget about "Filles de Kilimanjaro". I thought that means "Vieles vom Kilimanjaro" . And our no knowlegde of french and mixed with that "terrible Viennese Slang" they said "hast Du schon die Fil-les de Killi-Mann-Tscharo" ? 

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

And our non-knowlegde of french and mixed with that "terrible Viennese Slang" they said "hast Du schon die Fil-les de Killi-Mann-Tscharo" ? 

"Jo host aaa scho dä Fiees of Kiliman-dscha-roh ghööärt?":D (or something like this ;))

No, what I alluded to was that two of the seminal Beatles albums released by EMI in the 70s were the "Red Album" and the "Blue Album" (both twofers) that chronicled as a sort of in-depth "Best-Of " the earlier and later periods of the Beatles. Basically they were compilations or "samplers" but in fact their status elevated them more to full-blown, almost "cult" Beatles releases among teenage fans. Known anywhere, by anybody, even beyond hardcore Beatles fandom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962%E2%80%931966

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967%E2%80%931970

(Incidentally, EMI cashed in on that "red" and "blue" album idea for other reissues in that period too)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

@medjuck: You are Right: Now the best way to listen to it is the Blue Note CD, because it also has a second unreleased set from the first band, and the unreleased "Lady Bird" with the Big Nicholas-Lockjaw Tenor Tandem. 

But for nostalgic reasons I still spin sometimes the "Red Miles Davis Album". If I want to listen the the whole Music, I listen to the CD. 

Unbenannt.png

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh thank you. I´m sure this must be the same session I have on the italian LP. Those live sessions from Miles from the early 50´s all are really treasures and it´s completly different to the "Birth of the Cool", it´s pure be-bop. I have the Juni 1950 sessions with J.J. Johnson and Brew Moore, the Miles-Stan Getz also 1950, the 1951 stuff and one CD which has 2 sessions one from 1948 with Lee Konitz at the Roost and 1952 with Jackie McLean from Birdland. A lot of Hours of early Miles live. Not to Forget the 1949 Paris stuff. 

It is available via Amazon but at more than $70.  Anyone know a more reasonable way to get it? (Maybe the only Miles I don't have. ) 

Just found it and ordered it from Discogs.

Edited by medjuck
News

R-5043729-1391451650-5383.jpeg.jpg

Clare Fischer Orchestra - America the Beauiful (Discovery)

This is Fischer's "easy-listening" LP, recorded in '67 and originally released on Columbia.  I recently found it in a record store dollar bin, and I'm giving it a first spin right now. ... I suppose the arrangements are more interesting than your run-of-the-mill E-Z listening record, but I prefer Fischer's work in the Latin & jazz genres. 

Another "treasure" from the old days: The famous "Musidisc Series", also a cheap way to purchase some good stuff, mostly bop live.

This Bud Powell recording is completly mistitled, it tells us "From Birdland 1956 with Paul Chambers and Art Taylor" but actually it´s from february 1953 at Birdland with Oscar Pettiford and Roy Haynes. Now you might find it on ESP as "Winter Sessions". 

images.jpg

And here is another one from Musidisc: Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Fats Navarro, mistitled as Birdland 1949 while it actually was 1950. I also have the double Album CBS with the whole concert, but my copy must have a fabrication failure since it sounds too sharp, almost painful for the ears. I have to turn the basses completly up and the treble completly down and it still sounds sharp. 

So the musidisc has a better Sound Quality. On the Musidisc are only four titles: "Move" "Streetbeat" "Out of Nowhere" and "Cool Blues". It´s remarkable that Fats leads the Proceedings on Move and Streetbeat. I think those are among the best of Fats, even so late in his Career. Bird is very lyrical here, it´s remarkable how relaxed he starts his solos. Bud is Wonderful. I rate this higher than his trio Recordings, Bud who Always had the highest Level of playing Standards got even more inspired if he played with other horn Players. 

And especially for @Big Beat Steve: Me and my Frieds called this one the "orange Album" :D. It was our late night stuff . Especially on vacation when we stayed in a small wooden house in the mountains and came home after fishing trouts in the lake. So this was our "after Hours" live Music Party. 

Unbenannt1.png

Edited by Gheorghe

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Another "treasure" from the old days: The famous "Musidisc Series", also a cheap way to purchase some good stuff, mostly bop live.

Yes - those Musidisc LPs were a good source to get some interesting stuff at a decent price back in the 70s and were a great way to familiarize yourself at a budget price with artists that are "new!" to you (IMO they sometimes are even worth a look in the secondhand bins today for vinylites). And it wasn't just bop, they also had a huge range of swing and classic jazz recordings.
Sometimes thier presentation is galling - like you say, the lineups and recordings dates sometimes are way off - for no apaprent reason at all because the stuff had been released elsewhere with correct credits.
I wonder how and by what criteria they souced their material anyway - quite a few of the live recordings had been reissued on Alamac and on Jazz Archives in the USA (and on other small collector's labels) but others seem to have come straight from studio recordings, particularly from the Savoy label IIRC (e.g. the John Coltrane/Wilbur Harden dates).

@Big Beat Steve: A very good Point: I also Questions from what Sources they had their material. And yes. The Coltrane Album I have from that label "Tanganyika Strut" is the sessions with Wilbur Harden for Savoy. It´s the only Studio Musidisc I have, the others a live Albums and Maybe the gave them other Dates and other personnel just to make People believe it´s something they didn´t have allready.

In my case, the "Bird Fats Bud" stuff, because datet as "1949" and with Tommy Potter and Max Roach  (instead of 1950 and Curley Russel and Art Blakey) got me "trapped". I purchase it in spite of the fact that I already had the "A Night at Birdland 1950" from the CBS double Album (the one with the Beautiful painting of bird with the Saxophone.

Musidisc, Kings of Jazz, and Bellaphone were the cheaper LPs , very easy for us to purchase. Do you remember those Brown LPs on Bellaphone "Jazz Tracks". I had the one of Bird, it has the Sides at Carnegie Hall with Diz (but with some of Diz soloes edited), then some from the 1947 Dials with Miles and J.J., and the last three tracks is Maybe the last time Bird was recorded live. Autumn 1954 with John Lewis, Percy Heath and Kenny Clark, doing "My Funny Valentine", "The Song is You" and "Cool Blues". This is almost Bird´s "swan song". 

53 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Musidisc, Kings of Jazz, and Bellaphone were the cheaper LPs , very easy for us to purchase. Do you remember those Brown LPs on Bellaphone "Jazz Tracks". I had the one of Bird ...

A brown series of LPs with that "series" title? No, I don't remember that. Maybe if I saw the covers.
FWIW, Bellaphon was not really "cheaper", at least not always. I remember them as mid-price LPs and decently pressed and presented, particularly the items they licensed from Prestige and Milestone. They were good value for money.

19 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

A brown series of LPs with that "series" title? No, I don't remember that. Maybe if I saw the covers.
FWIW, Bellaphon was not really "cheaper", at least not always. I remember them as mid-price LPs and decently pressed and presented, particularly the items they licensed from Prestige and Milestone. They were good value for money.

19 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

This is the LP I mentioned. There were others from that series, one was Dizzy Gillespie, and one was Brubeck live from some College or University, I think with a fast and strong Version of "Lullaby in Rhythm". I´m not really a Brubeck-fan, that was not so much part of our tastes, but I liked that Brown record since it was quite Swinging and an exiting live atmosphere.

This was a cheap Bellaphone series. I think on Album was About 101 Shillings, like Musidisk, it was 101 Shillings, while the normal Price of an LP (let´s say labels like CBS) was 163 Shillings. 

Unbenannt.png

Yeah, coming to think of it, now I remember. I probably passed them up at the time because of that extremely nondescript cover (there were sooo many reissues with BAD, ugly, boring, totally "out of tune" artwork in the 70s that you really had to be a fanatic with money to spare to work your way through to the track listings in every case). Much later on I bought the Buck Clayton LP (secondhand) from that series, only to find when I got home from the shop that I already had all of the contents on a Vogue double LP. (This and others from that series came from Vogue masters from the 50s, and Discogs shows they also reissued Roulette masters) It still sits in my box of duplicates for the fleamarket.
If I remember correctly, at that time there were 7 Schillings to one DM - an exchange rate that remained constant for a very long time. So 101 Schillings was not cheap for an LP by German standards but mid-price. And 163 Schillings would have been considered decidedly expensive - about the price (22 DM) that one shop charged here on almost all items (except for special offers or introductory promo items). That price would have been tolerable (although it hurt this student's purse ...) for rare US imports (which this shop carried in a selection that was larger than with many other shops) but not for run of the mill stuff that would otherwise be priced at the equivalent of 90 to 100 ÖS. Full-price would have been about 120 ÖS, budget LPs would have cost something like 60 to 70 ÖS.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

@Big Beat Steve: Yes I was sure if you see the hidous cover art you will remember those records. Well, it seems in Austria LPs were more expensive. 

Once in the 70´s I went as far as making a trip on Train to Köln, because during ski week I kissed a German Girl and she didn´t slap me like Austrian Girls would do. So I made the trip up North to see her only to find out that she got another friend. 

But I was consoled by the fact that I got a whole Batch of in Austria hard to find LPs at "Saturn" in Köln. And actually they were cheaper than in Austria.

Back to the "Jazz Track" series: If you say the word "Jazz Track" in a sloppy Austrian manner it sounds like if you say "Scheissdreck". I remember we later said "the Scheissdreck Serie", but nevertheless bought them since they were cheap and had some Music we "needed".....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

@Big Beat Steve: Yes I was sure if you see the hidous cover art you will remember those records. Well, it seems in Austria LPs were more expensive. 

... But I was consoled by the fact that I got a whole Batch of in Austria hard to find LPs at "Saturn" in Köln. And actually they were cheaper than in Austria.

Back to the "Jazz Track" series: If you say the word "Jazz Track" in a sloppy Austrian manner it sounds like if you say "Scheissdreck". I remember we later said "the Scheissdreck Serie", but nevertheless bought them since they were cheap and had some Music we "needed".....

Yes, Saturn was EXCELLENT, particularly the one in Cologne! They had stuff we never saw down here (and we had a LOT). I remember in 1985 or so I asked a friend (who was never into anything even remotely connected to jazz or blues) to get me over a dozen R&B reissue LPs from a particular Saturn shop in his hometown I had visited a few days before (when I was in town for some studies-related matter) but had run out of funds to purchase them. He dutifully obliged and worked off my shopping list one by one ... ;)

As for "Jazz Tracks" in "Viennese" German - excellent! You made my day ... :D And you weren't far off the mark for the cover "art"work.

Edited by Big Beat Steve