What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Yes, Saturn was EXCELLENT, particularly the one in Cologne! They had stuff we never saw down here (and we had a LOT).

I left a lot of money at the Cologne store the few times I was there. The Frankfurt branch was good, too, as the jazz department was run by a real fan. He let collectors like me reserve LPs on a shelf back in his office. Bad for my bank account .....

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

I left a lot of money at the Cologne store the few times I was there. The Frankfurt branch was good, too, as the jazz department was run by a real fan. He let collectors like me reserve LPs on a shelf back in his office. Bad for my bank account .....

I only got to know the Cologne and Hannover shops in the vinyl era. The Hannover shop was the one mentioned above where I had my friend do my shopping. ;)

20 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Back to the "Jazz Track" series: If you say the word "Jazz Track" in a sloppy Austrian manner it sounds like if you say "Scheissdreck". I remember we later said "the Scheissdreck Serie", but nevertheless bought them since they were cheap and had some Music we "needed".....

🤣 ....

9 hours ago, aparxa said:

Supergrass ‎– I Should Coco

Art Farmer ‎– Brass Shout (London)

Jackie McLean ‎– A Fickle Sonance

Randy Weston ‎– Highlife (Roulette Jazz)

Very nice line-up :tup ....

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

5126uHayVYL._SY495_.jpg

Roland Hanna Trio - Time for the Dancers (Progressive, 1977)
with George Mraz (b) and Richard Pratt (d)

An outstanding LP, one of my favorites by Sir Roland. 

Basically the New York Jazz Quartet, minus Frank Wess. Haven't heard this but "Blues for Sarka" and "Surge" were great albums.

12 hours ago, BFrank said:

Basically the New York Jazz Quartet, minus Frank Wess. Haven't heard this but "Blues for Sarka" and "Surge" were great albums.

Yep!  If you like those NYJQ records, you should check out Time for the Dancers.  I think it's an overlooked gem.

Another fine NYJQ-sans-Wess record is This Must Be Love on the Audiophile label -- with Ben Riley in the drummer's chair instead of Pratt.  It's nearly as good as Time for the Dancers.  (I slightly prefer Time for the Dancers because it features more compositions by Sir Roland, whereas This Must Be Love focuses on Rodgers & Hart tunes.)

NP:

R-12426633-1539552442-1623.jpeg.jpg

Here's to one of the undisputed GIANTS of jazz, Kenny Burrell.  May all of his current troubles soon be behind him.

Edited by HutchFan

Here another of my early treasures. 

You will find most of the material on the Milestone CD "Fats Navarro" but not all: The vocals, listed on that Musidisc done by an "unknown" actually are by Kenny Hagood, anyway he is one of the most easy recognizable vocalists. 

"Pennies from Heaven" is done in a slow manner, and "The Kitchenette Across the Hall" is a rare Dameron song with the lyrics also by Dameron.

All Play great here. Fats is in top form and Plays some of the best bop trumpet I ever heard, Allen Eager is beautifully relaxed, and you can hear some short piano solos by Dameron. 

On the last track "Wahoo" there´s no Fats, it´s Kai Winding and Allen Eager…..

We called this "the blue Tadd Dameron-Fats Navarro Album"...…..

Unbenannt3.png

21 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Don’t have the Esquire of that one but I do have the later Stateside Vols 1 and 2 with the Ray Avery photos on the cover.

Confession - I don't have it either, but I used to borrow it from a record library around 1960 and I love the cover design and illustration - not forgetting the sublime music, of course. ^_^

I must have been something like "the Musidisc Man" since I purchase so many of them. While the former postet Tadd Dameron-Fats Navarro was live material from the Royal Roost, this one is studio material from Savoy records. Mostly it has the 1946 stuff featuring also Sonny Stitt and Kenny Dorham (Boppin a Riff Part 1 and 2, Everything´s Cool Part 1 and 2 etc ). 

R-3466248-1331480472.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I must have been something like "the Musidisc Man" since I purchase so many of them. While the former postet Tadd Dameron-Fats Navarro was live material from the Royal Roost, this one is studio material from Savoy records. Mostly it has the 1946 stuff featuring also Sonny Stitt and Kenny Dorham (Boppin a Riff Part 1 and 2, Everything´s Cool Part 1 and 2 etc ). 

R-3466248-1331480472.jpeg.jpg

I have a copy of that one somewhere. At the time it was about the only vinyl I could afford !