Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 14/7/2019 at 0:16 PM, porcy62 said:

At last I'm spinning Rendell/Carr' records, now:

JMANLP111X.jpg

A great one!

Johnny Clegg & Savuka ‎- Shadow Man

Copy%20of%20JOHNNY_C.gif

I have fond memories of seing this band in the late 80s and the late 90s.

Quincy Jones ‎– Go West, Man!

Fine Music, but weird to see the producer honored as the leader.

Ben Webster, Georges Arvanitas ‎- Autumn Leaves (Futura)

I´ll never Forget how I purchased this: It was the day after I first had seen live the Max Roach Quartet and the next day I hurried to my record dealer (Radio Kratz, Mariahilferstrasse) and asked if they have some Max Roach and Mr. Kratz gave me this one.

Though it´s done some 15 years earlier then my first live concert of Max Roach, I was quite astonished to hear very similar Things in his drumming, mostly on his Extended drum solo on "Speak Brother Speak" which is a Variation of "the drum also waltzes". 

Great tune also "Variation" . 

And since I was a really Mingus man, I had all the Mingus stuff on that "America" label, I was pleased to see that Cliff Jordan and Mal Waldron also were Mingus Alumni. Not to Mention Max Roach who had recorded with Mingus not only on Massey Hall, but also on the Bohemia stuff "Mingus Quintet plus Max Roach"...….

imagesTXXDKALF.jpg

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Gheorghe

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I´ll never Forget how I purchased this: It was the day after I first had seen live the Max Roach Quartet and the next day I hurried to my record dealer (Radio Kratz, Mariahilferstrasse) and asked if they have some Max Roach and Mr. Kratz gave me this one.

Though it´s done some 15 years earlier then my first live concert of Max Roach, I was quite astonished to hear very similar Things in his drumming, mostly on his Extended drum solo on "Speak Brother Speak" which is a Variation of "the drum also waltzes". 

Great tune also "Variation" . 

And since I was a really Mingus man, I had all the Mingus stuff on that "America" label, I was pleased to see that Cliff Jordan and Mal Waldron also were Mingus Alumni. Not to Mention Max Roach who had recorded with Mingus not only on Massey Hall, but also on the Bohemia stuff "Mingus Quintet plus Max Roach"...….

imagesTXXDKALF.jpg

Unbenannt.png

Those were the days 😎 ....

I think this one was my first LP of the Messengers. It was the RCA "Black and White" Series.

Really nice with Bill Hardman and Johnny Griffin, and the way how they played stuff like "I could have danced all that night" , otherwise rarely played by jazzmusicians…...

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Gheorghe

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think this one was my first LP of the Messengers. It was the RCA "Black and White" Series.

Really nice with Bill Hardman and Johnny Griffin, and the way how they played stuff like "I could have danced all that night" , otherwise rarely played by jazzmusicians…...

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Unbenannt.png

Very fond of this version of the Messengers

16 hours ago, soulpope said:

Prototypical late 70's cover art when seemingly everything was about Disco ....

You see disco, I see coke, I think we're both seeing the same thing, actually...

11 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

The_Golden_Number.jpg

Yeah but why is Billie Jean King on the cover?

Because Bobby Riggs couldn't hang with Archie Shepp?

I thought it is Charlie Haden painted. I remember this Album, it was around in the late 70´s. The only strange Thing in this combination is Hampton Hawes, he doesn´t necessarly fit into that Group of free jazz pioneers. 

But the idea to Play Duos with his former emplyoees was very interesting. 

Wasn´t "Soapsuds" also a Ornette - Haden duo ? I don´t have it.

I don´t know who Billy Jean King and Bobby Riggs are.

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I thought it is Charlie Haden painted. I remember this Album, it was around in the late 70´s. The only strange Thing in this combination is Hampton Hawes, he doesn´t necessarly fit into that Group of free jazz pioneers. 

But the idea to Play Duos with his former emplyoees was very interesting. 

Wasn´t "Soapsuds" also a Ornette - Haden duo ? I don´t have it.

I don´t know who Billy Jean King and Bobby Riggs are.

Tennis players of yesteryear.

3 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

R-1231517-1505686749-2599.jpeg.jpg

BEST CUTS: TRACK TWO's ON EACH SIDE (the ones w. george duke coincendently)

George was on most of her albums back then.

Her daughter's recent album is pretty good. She sounds a lot like Flora on a few cuts, too.

Many Bodies One Mind

R-4006575-1363976743-6475.jpeg.jpg

Original Jazz Classics LP reissue - flawless pressing.

R-6742994-1527777640-1435.jpeg.jpg

Japanese LP reissue.

Newborn is a monster pianist on these! 

Each time I listen to a Contemporary label LP I can't help but think how much better, more natural they sound like all the Rudy Van Gelder recordings.

R-7288314-1460809293-1879.jpeg.jpg

Zutty Singleton rocks on side one of this LP!

Edited by mikeweil

9 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Newborn is a monster pianist on these! 

Each time I listen to a Contemporary label LP I can't help but think how much better, more natural they sound like all the Rudy Van Gelder recordings.

Yes. So true. On both counts. :) 

Edited by HutchFan