Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-1910465-1551030435-6953.jpeg.jpg

IIRC, this is Jaco Pastorius' debut recording.  Oddly, they managed to misspell both his names in the credits: "Joco Pastorious."

R-4702335-1372825521-6045.jpeg.jpg

Harold Mabern, baby!  And Frank Strozier!  Yeah.

R-3584937-1336276061.jpeg.jpg

Paul McCandless' presence makes this music sound very Oregon-y -- if you could imagine Oregon with a vibraphonist & cellist. 

In any case, I like it.

Eek! Some mono LPs.

One album that HAS to be vinyl, for me, is "Time Out". This is partly for sentimental reasons, that having been one of the first LPs that I bought (and ooh, the excitement: it was stereo). But the main reason is the beautifully clear sound from the combination of venue and engineers at 30th Street. The piano is so clear and live - intro to "Strange Meadowlark", and the "Three To Get Ready" track, for examples.

57 minutes ago, bresna said:

I've never had any luck buying Trip records. They have almost all sounded terrible to the point where I stopped buying them.

This MJT+3 set isn't terrible sound-wise. The original VeeJay LPs probably sounded better.  But the Trip vinyl is still listenable -- to me at least. ;) 

On 8/7/2019 at 9:54 AM, bresna said:

Aren't those Trip LPs just needle drops? That's about what they sounded like to me. Needle drops can sound OK, but not if they're poorly done.

I'd always assumed that they were licensed, but I'm not certain.  IIRC, I only have a couple other Trip LPs -- a Woody Herman, originally Phillips, and one of Quincy's Mercury big band records.  They struck me as sounding OK too.  (Again, maybe not as good as the originals, but I'd always ascribed that to Trip's pressing and/or vinyl quality.)

bresna, one thing to consider: I don't consider myself an "audiophile," so that may color my perceptions. I have a solid analog set-up -- and old Rega Planar 3 'table with a Dynavector 10x4 cartridge and an NAD pre-amp -- but I try my best to not focus on sound per se.  I really don't like futzing around with audio gear (or comparing versions of recordings).  Most of my audio equipment is relatively old -- because once I find something that I'm happy with I don't want to mess with it.

Also, my 51-year-old ears ain't what they used to be!  My hearing is at the very bottom of the "normal" range, and I expect that I'll be using hearing aids at some point in the future.  So take all that I'm saying with regards to sound with a grain of salt. ;) 

On 8/7/2019 at 10:15 AM, JSngry said:

Now, how would you distinguish a somewhat/extremely crappy pressing from a needle drop? Oddly enough, you might have to use an 8 Track to decide!

R-13327796-1552157045-1184.jpeg.jpg

If you're using an 8-track to determine the audio quality of ANYTHING, that is NOT a good sign!  :P

Edited by HutchFan

I know, right?!?!?! :g

The whole Trip Jazz thing began(?) issuing what was then Phonogram back-catalog, which is where the Emarcy/Mercury/Phillips stuff came from. For whatever reason, they didn't do Verve, possibly because Verve was already having its own reissue party. Pressings were not the best, but oh well. The Max catalog in particular, good freaking luck getting all of that on LP in those days, any of it. Same with most of that stuff, Phonogram/Polygram/Whoever, they were content to Let Trip Do It.

But Trip was a part of Springboard, and Springboard was Shady Grady like a big dog. so after a while, Trip started trippin'.

Well, Clifford Brown sounds so glorious on the Emarcy pressings... Those Trip LPs were everywhere in the 1970s. They were below-average pressings in an era when the average pressing was below-average compared to the 50s and 60s. I bought a fair number back then, but I would not today.  

Edited by kh1958

28 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Well, Clifford Brown sounds so glorious on the Emarcy pressings... Those Trip LPs were everywhere in the 1970s. They were below-average pressings in an era when the average pressing was below-average compared to the 50s and 60s. I bought a fair number back then, but I would not today.  

If - If -you found an OG Emarcy pressing in those days, it tended to be either plowed or was priced out the ass. That was my experience anyway.

They were useful in their time, but today, with so many other options, no. There's no need for them now, except as temporary solutions, and even then....