What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

R-1239448-1537616288-8895.jpeg.jpg

Charlie Mariano - Crystal Bells (CMP, 1980)
After buying this music on emusic.com years ago, I recently decided to upgrade to LP.  Aside from the enormous improvement in sound quality, I still enjoy collecting the "thingy" stuff, whether it's vinyl or compact discs.   

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A new favorite:

R-4301194-1461343268-1774.jpeg.jpg

Helen Merrill - Chasin' the Bird (Inner City, 1980)
Required listening for Pepper Adams aficionados.  The combination of his baritone sax and her voice is unusual, but it works really well.  I suppose some of the credit has to go to arranger Dick Katz as well.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:02 PM, aparxa said:

107280186.jpg

I've never seen that cover before. A Euro-variant???

Edited by HutchFan

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

A new favorite:

Required listening for Pepper Adams aficionados.  The combination of his baritone sax and her voice is unusual, but it works really well.  I suppose some of the credit has to go to arranger Dick Katz as well.

Never seen it in this part of Europe.

Oops, is that political? ;)

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

A new favorite:

No Fedora hat was allowed on the early French versions of Monk's Dream, only a French beret!  Great photograph by JP Leloir!

https://www.discogs.com/The-Thelonious-Monk-Quartet-Monks-Dream/release/2810778

NP:

George Russell Sextet at Beethoven Hall  (MPS Spain)

On 8/20/2019 at 7:13 PM, Larry Kart said:

Jus about to give it a spin. A Boulez maven tells me that this is by far the best recording of Le Soleil Des Eaux, and I've heard good things about Dorati's Chronochromie and Les Bander-Log.

Just hope the used LP is in decent shape. I just bought a used Odyssey LP of works by Maderna snd Schuller, and the surface noise was louder than the admittedly rather quiet music. When I contacted the bastard third-party seller on Amazon, he  said, 'Tough s---; we didn't grade it "like new."'

91aHuVuS+cL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I used to have that lp, but relinquished it in a vinyl purge.

As far as I know only Chronochomie has been reissued.

51qoOChSU6L._SX355_.jpg

Here she be. But IIRC the CD  with all three was rather pricey so I went for the much cheaper vinyl, which plays just fine. Both the Messiaen and the Boulez seem to me to be terrific performances. Special kudos to Dorati; that piece must have been a beast to conduct, especially right out of the box in 1962 or so. His performance will take the skin off your back.

81ANwIYLY0L._AC_UL320_.jpg

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

119464279.jpg119464279-2.jpg

Supraphon 10", an object of no small delight!!!

Record plays well-enough too, an extra bonus, but the object is the thing here, especially the cover painting, still a nice glossy laminate on thickass cardboard, with no wear or peel to the sheen..

Yes, they put more artwork and marketing effort into classical music records over there in Czechoslovakia (jazz records often had generic covers before things changed later in the 60s). Yet these classical music records often are almost a dime a dozen here when you find them in clearout bins. Whereas ... the one below in NM condition was a scoop at the equivalent of $1 (though quite some time ago). Eurojazz auction buyers from outside Europe (over in Asia, in particular) have been know to bid crrrraaaazy prices on such items. :lol:

36590216uo.jpg

R-8435111-1461532886-1169.jpeg.jpg

aka

R-5691600-1404565794-8401.jpeg.jpg

One of the great 20th Century American Popular Music vocal recordings, and it's all but lost as an individual entity. Yes, it is rightly included in its entirety on the Everything I Have Is Yours compilation, but it is a standalone program in concept and stands gloriously when heard as such, not surrounded on either side by diverse other things.

As far as "concept" goes, when the needle runs out on Side 1 after this, you would be well within your rights to sit there for a little bit and wonder if you just heard what you think you just heard.

You did. Now go pick that needle up and play the other side! Or this one again. Either way, stay a while.

This record can stand up against anybody's. Anybody's.

R-641810-1142234081.jpeg.jpg

Found this a few Saturdays ago, played it today (15, not a FABULOUS price, but hey, we at lunch at home that day, so the money was there), and BAM, not even 3 minutes in, there's a needle-stick? WTF??? so I find the spot on the record where the stylus is sticking, and sure enough, there's a big ol' visible piece of something. I run my finger over it and can feel it sticking out of the groove, so, you know, fuck the old-school vinyl care regimen, let me see if I can pry this loose with a fingernail. I can't. So, you know, we're already condemned to hell for mortal recordsins, you know, let's just lick a finger, get it moist, and WASH that thing outta there with a bodily fluid. THAT worked, then a little wipeover with a clean dishtowel, and on to the turntable we go, no further issues, except some near-subliminal surface noises that might well have been there when the thing was new.  But hey, Josey Records, y'all gonna profile with the prices and shit, you could maybe clean the "collectibles" up just a bit before putting them on the rack, maybe? Ya' think? I think, yeah, I do think.

I appreciated Joe Henderson on Side 1, and appreciated the Reggie Lucas effect from start to finish (go back to Get Up With It and check out "Mtume" and imagine yourself going to sleep on this record and then waking up in the other, it's a thing that doesn't necessarily involve dreaming as much as it does staying awake and going where yourself gonna go if you don't get in your own way.

But jeesus, if ever there was a record that called for Bob Belden to get hold of and de-reverb back into reality, this is it. Dammit Bob, why aren't you still here?

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Even the 10"-ers, they are still cheap and common in your nexus of the woods? (please say yes...)

As I am not into classical music I have not had a close look at what I saw in the bins at clearout sales. At the clearout days we have here at regular intervals at a local used record store all the records (thousands each time) are totally unsorted but I routinely browse through the 10" records first whenever I see any in a bin (they usually end up in stacks among the 12"). I do remember distinctly that while browsing I regularly saw Eastern European pressings there (Czech und Hungarian, i.e. Supraphon and Hungaroton, in many cases), hoping it was an occasional "Eurojazz" find. But alas no, it turned out to be "another" classical music 10-incher in 99% of the cases. However, I realize that there may be differences in "desirability" even among these, and as for what EXACTLY was in there - search me ... All I remember was that some of those classical or light classical music 10-inchers (not just Eastern European ones) had rather nice period cover artwork. But I won't get carried away that far (covers by Jim Flora would be an exception but so far I have never seen any by him there).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Is Vinyl West still open in Stuttgart, Steve?  I used to love that shop during the time I lived there.  The guy that owned it (Tom) was very knowledgeable about jazz and ECM in particular.  (I met our board colleague Sidewinder there many years ago - Hi Bob!)

I just did an online search and it appears that VInyl West appears to be an online operation based in Spain now, but still operated by Tom.

2 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Is Vinyl West still open in Stuttgart, Steve?  I used to love that shop during the time I lived there.  The guy that owned it (Tom) was very knowledgeable about jazz and ECM in particular.  (I met our board colleague Sidewinder there many years ago - Hi Bob!)

I just did an online search and it appears that VInyl West appears to be an online operation based in Spain now, but still operated by Tom.

Hi Erik - Hope all is well ! I believe that the Vinyl West store in Stuttgart closed quite a few years ago and that Tom runs it as a mail order operation from Spain. Great fun that day at the shop and some good finds !