What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Hi Erik - Hope all is well ! I believe that the Vinyl West store in Stuttgart closed quite a few years ago and that Tom runs it as a mail order operation from Spain. Great fun that day at the shop and some good finds !

Hey Bob - now that I think back, you may have already told me this previously.  I remember talking with you about Tom a few times after our get together.

Hope all's well with you!  

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Is Vinyl West still open in Stuttgart, Steve?  I used to love that shop during the time I lived there.  The guy that owned it (Tom) was very knowledgeable about jazz and ECM in particular.  (I met our board colleague Sidewinder there many years ago - Hi Bob!)

I just did an online search and it appears that VInyl West appears to be an online operation based in Spain now, but still operated by Tom.

Like you found out online ...

Which shop did you visit? A smallish semi-basement shop in a row of older brownstones or one with a fairly large glass-pane front where the entrance was a few stairs up? He moved to the latter one in the late 90s. We may have bumped into each other unknowingly in either of the two. I left a lot of money there ...

Vinyl West closed down at the later location described above in 2003 or so. Tom briefly reopened a smaller shop around the corner 1-2 years later but this was gone again before I had a chance of going there. He then concentrated on online sales (including eBay) and mail order and later moved on to Spain after some non-business related matters made him pull up stakes here, it seems.

Your VfB avatar has always had me thinking you had some connections there but during which period exactly did you live over here?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

58c66df4f562b2cadec3a42089dc3e76.jpg

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Which shop did you visit? A smallish semi-basement shop in a row of older brownstones or one with a fairly large glass-pane front where the entrance was a few stairs up? He moved to the latter one in the late 90s. We may have bumped into each other unknowingly in either of the two. I left a lot of money there ...

Vinyl West closed down at the later location described above in 2003 or so. Tom briefly reopened a smaller shop around the corner 1-2 years later but this was gone again before I had a chance of going there. He then concentrated on online sales (including eBay) and mail order and later moved on to Spain after some non-business related matters made him pull up stakes here, it seems.

Your VfB avatar has always had me thinking you had some connections there but during which period exactly did you live over here?

The place with the large glass-pane front is the one I remember.

Edited by sidewinder

14 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Yes, as sidewinder mentioned, I visited them when he was located in the place with the large glass pane front.  I loved that shop, and spoke with Tom many times.

I live in Stuttgart for 5 years, from the end of 1998 through the end of 2003.  It was a wonderful time for me, and my son was born there (at Robert Bosch Krankenhaus).

There were a number of music shops I visited - zweitausendeins, Einklang, Vinyl West, Second Hand Records, and occasionally the chain stores back then - Lerche, Media Markt, and WOM.  WOM actually had a pretty good inventory at the time, at the location near the Hauptbahnhof. I wish I lived in a city that had that number of music shops today.

Are you from Stuttgart originally?  What a wonderful place.

A wonderful record, brilliantly recorded, perhaps not so well cared for...but it's one of those LPs where the recoring is so good that the noise becomes unnoticeable once the music starts.

(mine's a mono)

R-6433742-1485788916-6653.jpeg.jpg

R-6433742-1485788938-9164.jpeg.jpg

aka

R-4441800-1450648862-9316.jpeg.jpg

Now, what I did NOT get, sadly, was this Crossroads inner sleeve:

R-6433742-1485788933-8340.jpeg.jpg

R-6433742-1485788940-1004.jpeg.jpg

What was the accounting idea behind Columbia to Epic over to Supraphon back over to Crossroads?  Was this some Cold War money diversion, or just what, exactly?

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

A wonderful record, brilliantly recorded, perhaps not so well cared for...but it's one of those LPs where the recoring is so good that the noise becomes unnoticeable once the music starts.

(mine's a mono)

R-6433742-1485788916-6653.jpeg.jpg

R-6433742-1485788938-9164.jpeg.jpg

aka

R-4441800-1450648862-9316.jpeg.jpg

Now, what I did NOT get, sadly, was this Crossroads inner sleeve:

R-6433742-1485788933-8340.jpeg.jpg

R-6433742-1485788940-1004.jpeg.jpg

What was the accounting idea behind Columbia to Epic over to Supraphon back over to Crossroads?  Was this some Cold War money diversion, or just what, exactly?

Wow--I don't remember the Crossroads label (apparently a tiny little division of Columbia) at all! I well remember their budget classical label Odyssey, which had lots of good repertoire in good performances in good sound on good pressings, but not Crossroads. I love the Seymour-Chwast-meets-Peter-Max graphics, too.

I think Odyssey was mostly for reissues?

From what I can tell, his Crossroads label appears to have existed strictly for the sole purpose of distributing Supraphon releases in the US. Since Supraphon was a Czechoslovakianka "Communist") label, I'm wondering what the impetus was for Columbia to set up this really unique sub-label and give it such a "pop" marketing look...Where EVERYBODY Meets Great Music...

Here's two I'd like to find:

R-4276723-1378759324-3244.jpeg.jpg

R-7040799-1432324422-9720.jpeg.jpg

Pretty prolific output in just 2-3 years:

https://www.discogs.com/label/76208-Crossroads-3