• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-3021544-1456329354-4540.jpeg.jpg

Dizzy Gillespie - The Giant (Prestige, 2 LP set)
Now listening to LP 2, originally released on the French America label as The Source

At first sight I was quite astonished because I never had associated Dizzy with the Prestige Label. But as you write, those were the French America Label "The Giant" and "The Source". It was from the early 70´s Right? 

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

At first sight I was quite astonished because I never had associated Dizzy with the Prestige Label. But as you write, those were the French America Label "The Giant" and "The Source". It was from the early 70´s Right? 

Yes, it was just a licensing deal between the two labels.  Per discogs, Prestige released The Giant in 1975.

However, Diddy Galippy did show up on Prestige 24000 Series once again!

R-2759904-1467308033-2393.jpeg.jpg

R-2759904-1467308033-7285.jpeg.jpg

and in fact had one of his all-time best records released on Prestige before the 2-fer Craze swept the jazz-crazy record world by storm!

R-3629650-1339424470-9803.jpeg.jpg

Here is where you went to hear Big Nick in full lo-fi glory and magnificence, so when people talked about Trane's "Big Nick", you could ask them had they ever heard the REAL Big Nick, and almost always, no, who was he anyway? and then you play them this record and they don't know what to say, because Big Nick didn't give a damn, he just want to jam, and so many people just weren't (and maybe still aren't) ready for THAT.

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-3629650-1339424470-9803.jpeg.jpg

Here is where you went to hear Big Nick in full lo-fi glory and magnificence, so when people talked about Trane's "Big Nick", you could ask them had they ever heard the REAL Big Nick, and almost always, no, who was he anyway? and then you play them this record and they don't know what to say, because Big Nick didn't give a damn, he just want to jam, and so many people just weren't (and maybe still aren't) ready for THAT.

These are (originally) Vogue recordings, right?  Also released on Inner City LPs, no?

On 5/9/2019 at 7:53 PM, sidewinder said:

‘Ensadinado’ now spinning. Wow - even better than I thought. Have updated the system quite a bit since last spin which no doubt helps.

Those Germans...

I've got some Prestige reissued on Saba and they are excellent.

Edited by porcy62

4321.JPG

4321-001.JPG

No idea why they bought it, but I was going through a stack of eceased relatives' records that I had gotten about 5 years ago. Found this empty cover right off, and then a few years later, the record that goes in it. It's a crazy combo/setting, but certainly an entertaining listen.

R-13617969-1557613689-5195.jpeg.jpg

R-13617969-1557613688-4041.jpeg.jpg

The Karl Korte piece is very engaging. Nothing is less than interesting, but that one has a real rhythmic urgency to it that sets it apart.

Apparently Korte was on the faculty of UT for a quarter century or so, from 1971 to 1997....guess I shouldn't have been so limited in taste back then, might have heard some more good stuff beyond what was already there, in the air. Air goes everywhere, ears don't, not always.

R-4093485-1355009237-3454.jpeg.jpg

R-4093485-1355009251-3599.jpeg.jpg

R-4093485-1355009257-2440.jpeg.jpg

Delightfully natural performances, down to the point of the ensembles on the Janacek piece being a bit wobbly pitch-wise..but nobody's getting uptight about it, which is indeed delightful.

This Boston Records outfit looks interesting too: https://www.discogs.com/label/351684-Boston-Records

Do I dare hope to find some of this stuff? We'll see. I ain't dead yet!

s-l500.jpg

Ao American Decca was doing DG records, if this example is any example. But English Decca was doing their American stuff on the London label.

What the hell is a Decca, anyway?

Anyway, this record has that really nice clear boxy sound that just overflows with the reek of mid 20th Century, early post-WWII classical recorda. I love it.

7 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

R-477521-1155464967.jpeg.jpg

US ECM. ‘OK’ pressing quality, no better.

In anticipation of the Bley/Swallow UK tour with Andy Sheppard next month. 25 years since I last saw them. :o

Me too. Would that have been the Carla Bley Orch with Gary Valente, Lew Soloff and Lewis Nash?