• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, this and Olduvai are pretty cool.

What do I need to know about the Olduvai? 

Actually just found I can listen to it online.

7 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Great minds think alike. Incredible sunny weather so - ideal day for perusing racks of jazz indoors..:cool:

Absolutely. Why enjoy the last days of summer outside...TMS on the earbuds, racks dutifully perused in three shops (two first visits) within half an hour of home.

Taken by the number of original Tubby Fontanas I could have bought, five at least. People off-loading before the boxset :lol:

12 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Just two weeks...I'm hoping they use Royal Mail rather than another courier with no pick-up option as it's bound to arrive on a day I'm in the office rather than working at home

As long as it arrives in one piece without dings, I’ll be happy.

Talking of Tubbs - I saw a CBS LP of that session with Clark Terry today. Not bad for £6.

419657.jpg

This 2LP set exemplifies all the good things about the Prestige 24000 series. Great, varied selection of tracks and very informative sleeve notes. A winner !

Good job this isn’t a Tone Poet otherwise the Hoffman Board would be up in arms over the Prestige piano :D

Edited by sidewinder

On 14.9.2019 at 0:09 PM, sidewinder said:

422115564-m.jpg

A major comeback for JJ at time of release. Great concert too.

I love this double album. It was around 1977 when it was presented in our then so popular Austrian Jazz Radio Show "Jazz Shop", moderated by the legendary Herwig Wurzer, who was something like an Austrian "Symphony Sid". I bought so many records after they were presented in that Saturday Radio hour of jazz. 

It´s great music and also a great rhythm section. An great tunes, the classic "Walkin´ and "Worksong" and some really interesting new J.J. compositions. This was around the time when jazz rock was still very much around, but there was a growing interest in acoustic jazz and straight ahead too. 1977 was something like a time of "transition", as I witnessed it. Older masters from the acoustic era, like Sonny Rollins and Dizzy Gillespie used Fender bass to get younger audiences, and People who got in touch with jazz "only" via "Return to Forever" "Headhunters", Electric Miles etc. slowly got interested in let´s say Dexter Gordon, and of Course J.J. Johnson.

This record is still a Beautiful Memory for me of those great times, when we were Youngsters and eager to study as much as we could About that great Music called jazz. 

On 16/09/2019 at 7:36 AM, Gheorghe said:

I love this double album. It was around 1977 when it was presented in our then so popular Austrian Jazz Radio Show "Jazz Shop", moderated by the legendary Herwig Wurzer, who was something like an Austrian "Symphony Sid". I bought so many records after they were presented in that Saturday Radio hour of jazz. 

It´s great music and also a great rhythm section. An great tunes, the classic "Walkin´ and "Worksong" and some really interesting new J.J. compositions. This was around the time when jazz rock was still very much around, but there was a growing interest in acoustic jazz and straight ahead too. 1977 was something like a time of "transition", as I witnessed it. Older masters from the acoustic era, like Sonny Rollins and Dizzy Gillespie used Fender bass to get younger audiences, and People who got in touch with jazz "only" via "Return to Forever" "Headhunters", Electric Miles etc. slowly got interested in let´s say Dexter Gordon, and of Course J.J. Johnson.

This record is still a Beautiful Memory for me of those great times, when we were Youngsters and eager to study as much as we could About that great Music called jazz. 

A very good sum-up. Previous to this JJ seems to have been buried in the Hollywood studio system so this was a very welcome return to jazz. He made a great team with Nat (who is on blistering form) and the rhythm section with his own son on drums provides a great mix of ‘the new’ with respect to tradition. Childs also unleashes some ‘Space Invaders’ riffs on his synth too, very 1977 (:D).

wow, though I´m not at all an expert in classical music (and thought that classical Music is in a special thread but now see that it´s Vinyl, any kind of music), but once or twice I heard some Gustav Mahler and it really got something. That´s deep as much as I can express it as a totally jazz only listener (and Player). But it´s got something special and if I have very much time and patience, I might listen to something like that too. Anyway it´s more probable than the 17th, 18th century classical music . 

I think Mahler is something like the Charles Mingus of classical Music, can you say it like that ? 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

(and thought that classical Music is in a special thread but now see that it´s Vinyl, any kind of music)

Yeah, in my mind, the focus of this thread is by definition what vinyl are you spinning now, the medium being the focus, not the content.

Now is a very good time (in these parts, anyway) to find all kinds of worthwhile classical music on older LPs for $3-6 dollars a pop. I've been getting a good number of deals like that lately.

And I do like the "idea" of the vinyl listening thread sorta looking like an old record store, where records of all types of music (and spoken word, and sound effects, and anything else) show up for anybody to look at. Just walk around the store and see all kinds of things and wonder hmmm....wonder what that's like? And then somebody knows, or they play it in the store, and there you go (and occasionally, you succumb to your curiosity and buy it yourself!), questions and answers, all centered around records, one thing leads to another.