• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

91X1KL5Q08L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91PhWd6-NBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91SZmpajdRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A1le65rDwKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I paid five bucks for a copy of this, one previously owned by one Melinda Lacy, who did NOT take care of her records. so...on the hunt for a cleaner copy, becuase the music is better than excellent.

Apart from that (and the psychedlic-ish cover, which Melinda DID take good enough care of) is the fine-print notation that this was "an 8-channel Dolby recording mixed under the supervision of the conductor". Horenstein would have been about 70 at the time, and he was supervising mixing of 8 track session tapes...I've only been aware of him for a few years now, but wow, his fine attention to detail went beyond "just" interpreting the scores. When the scars of Melinda's carelessness recede on occasion, the recording itself sounds really, really good.

But really, wtf? is up with that ending, did Mahler have one of those sneezes that never really goes away until, like 4-5 tries?

It takes so long...

Just finished:

R-11390096-1515449250-5317.jpeg.jpg

and I'm thinking, hmmm....something nor really right about this...and so there's a review of it by Virgil Thomson where it is called "irresponsible musicmaking" Yes, THAT!

https://academic.oup.com/mq/article-abstract/XXXIX/1/147/1080949?redirectedFrom=PDF

So hey, fuck it, there's a Barbara Hannigan record of it with just piano accompaniment, and I need to check here out some more, so ok, I will, as soon as the CD gets here.

The Esoteric record (recorded in Paris by Jerry Newman, btw) is one of those things where the "offness" of it makes the desire to hear the music a different way stronger. It's not like you hear it and say oh, that sucks, never want to hear THAT again.

R-11035465-1511807053-1962.jpeg.jpg

R-11035465-1511807054-1844.jpeg.jpg

Pretty damned nice performances of a pretty damned inconsequential set of pieces.

Whatever happened to Vivian Rivkin (then Mrs. Dean Dixon)? There seems to be a story there? Rivkin was a student of Dixon's, something like that? She made a few records anddied at 55, that I can find. And a later packaging of this record omits Dixon's photo:

$_12.JPG

She plays really well on this one too.