• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my all time favourites. I had heard Art Farmer for the first time at the end of the summer 1978 in Vienna. Max Roach came by just to say hello, the next day Max Roach was playing in town and Art Farmer came by and Max Roach announced that Art Farmer is in the house…….. those were the days. 

I think, this 1975 recording with the fantastic Cedar Walton Trio was brand new then in 1978. I purchased it just to have some album which is close to the way he plays now. It became one of my all time favourites, a Beautiful thing ! 

Unbenannt.png

13 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

One of my all time favourites. I had heard Art Farmer for the first time at the end of the summer 1978 in Vienna. Max Roach came by just to say hello, the next day Max Roach was playing in town and Art Farmer came by and Max Roach announced that Art Farmer is in the house…….. those were the days. 

I think, this 1975 recording with the fantastic Cedar Walton Trio was brand new then in 1978. I purchased it just to have some album which is close to the way he plays now. It became one of my all time favourites, a Beautiful thing ! 

Unbenannt.png

I have a US Inner City and a French East Wind of this one - think I bought the Inner City in 1979 as a Mole Jazz deletion. A gem ! - Cedar’s trio is also outstanding, as per usual.

Edited by sidewinder

13 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Unbenannt.png

❤❤❤ and more !!!

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I have a US Inner City and a French East Wind of this one - think I bought the Inner City in 1979 as a Mole Jazz deletion. A gem ! - Cedar’s trio is also outstanding, as per usual.

I have it on LP from 1978 and I got it signed by Mr. Art Farmer !!!!

And a few years ago I also bought it on CD, so I must not always spin the LP. 

R-2614001-1299314561.jpeg.jpg

Jeremy Steig & Eddie Gomez - Rain Forest (CMP, 1980)

CMP released some excellent music back in the day (including this LP). They typically featured exquisite recorded sound quality too.

Regarding Art Farmer's To Duke with Love. Nice to see it getting so much love. Couldn't agree more. It's one helluva record.

Edited by HutchFan

I saw the New Thundering Herd in the summer of 1979, they were great, and sounded quite modern, they also played some 1970´s Chick Corea material. 

Shortly after this, they were at Monterey and had stars like Diz, Woody Shaw, Stan Getz and Slide Hampton on it. The Version of "Woody´n You" is Incredible ! 

And the band without the guests also really stretches out, listen to "Countdown", not an easy tune at all even if it´s based on "Tune Up" , and rare for Woody Herman: The Mingus tune "Bettter Git It in Your Your" . 

Unbenannt.png

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw the New Thundering Herd in the summer of 1979, they were great, and sounded quite modern, they also played some 1970´s Chick Corea material. 

Yep, I remember seeing Woody’s band play ‘La Fiesta’ around that time. The band had Lyle Mays on keyboards i think.

R-2565765-1363861907-6226.jpeg.jpg

15 hours ago, Pim said:

R-12269583-1531830549-7819.jpeg.jpg

R-4965130-1464339971-8952.jpeg.jpg

Stunning music....

I´m sure it is. It´s too bad those Denon Albums are so hard to find. I have just one of them, Max Roach in Amsterdam. 

Is this also from around 1977,78 and has Cecil Bridgewater, Billie Harper and Reggie Workman? 

And is this the records, were they also Play a stunning Version of Round Midnight. 

I think, Denon was quite a label for advanced modern jazzmen during that time. I think they also did some Albums with Archie Shepp. 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I´m sure it is. It´s too bad those Denon Albums are so hard to find. I have just one of them, Max Roach in Amsterdam. 

Is this also from around 1977,78 and has Cecil Bridgewater, Billie Harper and Reggie Workman? 

And is this the records, were they also Play a stunning Version of Round Midnight. 

I think, Denon was quite a label for advanced modern jazzmen during that time. I think they also did some Albums with Archie Shepp. 

Yes it is indeed that all star group with the Uptempo version of Round Midnight. The interaction within the group is just stunning. I also can’t believe this music hasn’t been issued more. Ordered my copies for about 50 dollars incl shipping from Japan. I like these two even better than The Loadstar as the sound quality is way better.

1 hour ago, Pim said:

Yes it is indeed that all star group with the Uptempo version of Round Midnight. The interaction within the group is just stunning. I also can’t believe this music hasn’t been issued more. Ordered my copies for about 50 dollars incl shipping from Japan. I like these two even better than The Loadstar as the sound quality is way better.

Yes the live recordings are even more exciting than the HORO studio date (although still excellent) .... there was a video (which comes up now and then on Youtube) of an live gig @ Italian Jazz Club recorded around the time if the HORO session (feat a 20+ minutes version of "Nommo" and an miraculous bass solo by Reggie Workman)) mirroring all this group`s qualities .... 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think, Denon was quite a label for advanced modern jazzmen during that time. I think they also did some Albums with Archie Shep

32 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Yes the live recordings are even more exciting than the HORO studio date (although still excellent) .... there was a video (which comes up now and then on Youtube) of an live gig @ Italian Jazz Club recorded around the time if the HORO session (feat a 20+ minutes version of "Nommo" and an miraculous bass solo by Reggie Workman)) mirroring all this group`s qualities .... 

That sound awesome!

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Maybe you also saw them live in September 1978 at the legendary Kongress-Haus. Then, in May 1979 it was the Archie Shepp Quinted with Siegfried Kessler, Bob Cunningham and Clifford Jarvis, so it seems they had some "Denon-Artists" booked, since Shepp also had a batch of records on Denon...….