Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 21/10/2019 at 4:50 PM, kh1958 said:

Jimmy Smith, Softly as in a Summer Breeze (Blue Note, mono). A battered looking NY USA/ear copy, but aside for some surface noise it sounds magnificent. 

Funnily enough, my NY mono copy has pretty well the same description. Picked up for about £5 as well ! 

big-john-patton-oh-baby-1964-blue-note-4

DID I DO OK: $15 it plays fine.  heres the deal---- so at this point rvg was doing 50/50 reduction for the monos i take it?  well comparing to stereo the mono is not exactly like the stereo with the mono button pressed, as i recall hearing it put-- 

i dont know how my stereo works but basically you can CRANK the mono louder (one speaker) than the stereo lp, which feeds back if you try n max te vol out 

Ive got......... its interesting- the stereo/mono set for ORGAN lps the most---- 

SERMON

now OH BABY!

Jack McDuff live prestige, not the one w/ rock candy

so im sticking w/ both for this title.  on the stereo he centered the organ i think but its the drums which gets most of the stereo spread i think,

cover had horrible masking tape all sides for no reason (cover not damaged underneath at all)- all came off ok.  

I think the stereo is mostly in the drums, am i wrong- who knows this date well.  

oh oh and guitar--  i think grant green might come through much better on the mono- like hes playin thru an amp- 

he gets a real good solo on track2, am going to compare those 

(*in "concert mcduff" was the mcduff lp i forgot)

that settles it- i really do see where the mono lovers come from, even if the session was cut in stereo- MONO IS JUST SO MUCH MORE FOCUSED, ITS SUCH A MORE FOCUSED LISTEN.  

i got rid of my stereo search for the new land but i think im gonna still keep the stereo for this-

THATS IT-- my mind is made up- i mean the mono is so much more focused for the Grant solo "oh baby " mono version, its like hes right there--- 

did they do 50/50 reduction then compress it more than they would compress the stereo, or something different after the 50/50 reduction

track 3 sounded ok in stereo though-- will compare which version i like better later

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

I went to a house sale today and just as I was leaving spied a pile of LPs. Purchased three. Used some Discwasher on this one and sounded pretty good. However, I have a Studebaker cleaner coming tomorrow and will give it a good washing. Should sound even better.

EADCECB7-DC66-4B7B-B724-25F038677D56-L.j