• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Bird´s last album, if I´m Right. 

I have 8 LPs Charlie Parker on Verve, all japanese LP´s from the 70´s. But the strange Thing is, they are Vol 1-8, but not chronological. 

Yes, his final studio session, from December 10, 1954. Perhaps his best recorded studio session. His sound on alto is quite vividly captured. The master take of Love for Sale is the best.

49 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Yes, his final studio session, from December 10, 1954. Perhaps his best recorded studio session. His sound on alto is quite vividly captured. The master take of Love for Sale is the best.

Yes you are Right, it´s really very good recorded and very interesting for the participation of Billy Bauer on guitar. 

And Bird still was a master torwards the end, I also like the autumn 1954 live set with John Lewis, Pery Heath and Kenny Clarke ("Cool Blues" "My Funny Valentine" and "The Song is You". Very fine Bird indeed. 

The Music Improvisation Company—-1969/1970———( Incus/Honest Jon)

Honest Jon records have been busy with  Incus reissues. This release seemed a good as place as any to start with Bailey, Parker , Muir and Davies. I’m really struck by Jamie Murr’s innovative percussion. 

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

The Music Improvisation Company—-1969/1970———( Incus/Honest Jon)

Honest Jon records have been busy with  Incus reissues. This release seemed a good as place as any to start with Bailey, Parker , Muir and Davies. I’m really struck by Jamie Murr’s innovative percussion. 

I've bought two of their Company reissues. Nicely done but unconvinced that cutting them at 45rpm enhances the experience of this music very much, especially when they were sidelong pieces at 33rpm.

I sent them an email with this observation and they got very upset...

I have an original of that Music Improv Co. title. Excellent stuff, as is the ECM

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

First spin of a new-to-me LP:

hino_teruma_fuji~~~~~_101b.jpg

Terumasa Hino Sextet - Fuji (Catalyst, licensed from Victor Japan, 1972)

Earlier this evening:

51M1eLiH9nL._SY355_.jpg

Ray Barretto - The Other Road (Fania, 1973)

I saw Terumasa Hino as the featured star in a great Group Dave Liebman had in 1979 (Dave with Terumasa Hino, John Scofield, Ron McLure and Adam Nussbaum)

Edited by Gheorghe

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw Terumasa Hino as the featured star in a great Group Dave Liebman had in 1979 (Dave with Terumasa Hino, John Scofield, Ron McLure and Adam Nussbaum)

Yes, that was my first exposure to Hino as well -- but it was only on record, years after they'd been made.  ;) 

R-4383550-1363447016-1000.jpeg.jpg

My LP is actually a Verve "MPS Series" reissue.

Even though there's not a lot of room to stretch out, Lockjaw & Joe Newman are still on board as the soloists on their respective instruments. Two voices that are always good to hear. Plus, Chico O'Farrill arrangements.

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

81BjVrjHnCL._SS500_.jpg

Listened to this straight through and then started it over again for a second listen. 

Eddie "Who" Harris always is a pleasure to listen to. I think when I was a young guy, his "Compare to what" was one of the best selling albums. 

I had the imense luck to see him live almost every day for at least a week, maybe even 10 days in a then existing very very small Viennese jazz club "Spelunke". Now if I think About it, I wonder how that was possible, a world star for such an extended gig in such a small club……