What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

14 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Eddie "Who" Harris always is a pleasure to listen to. I think when I was a young guy, his "Compare to what" was one of the best selling albums. 

I had the imense luck to see him live almost every day for at least a week, maybe even 10 days in a then existing very very small Viennese jazz club "Spelunke". Now if I think About it, I wonder how that was possible, a world star for such an extended gig in such a small club……

Yeah, I've read that Swiss Movement, the LP with "Compared to What," sold more than a million copies.  

That's VERY cool that you got to see him many times. :tup 

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

guys im in a hurry rtnow ill b back later butdid i messup too bad not getting the JOHN GRAAS on the super rare rare rare ANDEX label---

art pepper, bill perkins and other wcj legends on it....but only side 2

a classical/jazz fusion suite, very composed and structured piece with sections for improv?   it was 20 bux.  i didnt get jimmy smith all day long-1 for ten 1500 series, so i didnt walk way w/ zero jazz classics, but....

On 12-11-2019 at 6:40 PM, mjazzg said:

I've bought two of their Company reissues. Nicely done but unconvinced that cutting them at 45rpm enhances the experience of this music very much, especially when they were sidelong pieces at 33rpm.

I sent them an email with this observation and they got very upset...

I have an original of that Music Improv Co. title. Excellent stuff, as is the ECM

Why were they upset?

Until now I've been very impressed by their Incus series.

2 hours ago, corto maltese said:

Why were they upset?

Until now I've been very impressed by their Incus series.

Just by me questioning the decision to cut at 45rpm and the resultant abrupt non-fades. Evidently one of those is on the original which I don't know so I was happy to stand corrected on that one.

I purchased this in the 70´s, Charles Brackeen was completely unknown to me besides the fact that he once was Joanne Brackeen´s husband. I bought it for Don Cherry , Haden, Blackwell, since I was very much into the Ornette Coleman-Don Cherry thing which was new and exiting for me. 

I was , and still am astonished how much it is in the spirit of Ornette Coleman. Charles Brackeen even phrases like Ornette, it sounds almost like "Ornette on Tenor". 

Anyway, a beautiful, relativly obscure thing, worth listening to.

Download.jpg

R-1918820-1252418999.jpeg.jpg

Larry Coryell - Toku Do (Muse, 1988)

Very enjoyable -- in no small part because of this primo rhythm section: Stanley Cowell. Oh yeah. Beaver Harris. Yessir. And Buster Williams!!!

Plus the album is named after Buster's composition "Toku Do." I'm always in favor of props for Buster. 

Larry sounds pretty good too. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan