Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2975756-1314134293.jpeg.jpgR-2975756-1415297621-9735.jpeg.jpg

I have unconditional love for Earl Coleman, but I would hesitate to recommend this record to somebody who didn't. His pitch is at times really wobbly, and the record is actually a program of Coleman vocal tracks alternating with Ted Dunbar solo tracks. That programming decision is nowhere explained in the notes (and isn't even hinted at on the cover) and one is left wondering if Coleman was in bad voice that day and Don Schlitten called the session (NP: Don Schlitten - Callin' the Session!!!) and called on Dunbar to make it a record. I'd think f it had been an actual concept that it would have been pimped as such.

But still - I have unconditional love for Earl Coleman. No matter where the notes land, the words always come out in the right place and in the right way.

41dy%2B6HvdsL.jpg

I'm enjoying this Sammy Nestico-arranged Basie record from 1971. It was released on Daybreak Records; not to be confused with the Dutch Daybreak label that released Jimmy Knepper and Ben Webster LPs, among others. No, this is the short-lived American Daybreak label based in Hollywood that also released music by Bing Crosby and Laurindo Almeida. Incidentally, the vinyl is REALLY thin, and it turns out that (the American) Daybreak was (per the small print on the cover) "manufactured and distributed by RCA Records." Makes me wonder if it's a dreaded Dyna-Flex wafer-thin platter! ... Fortunately, recorded sound quality is plenty listenable, neither terrible nor great.

Edited by HutchFan

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-2975756-1314134293.jpeg.jpgR-2975756-1415297621-9735.jpeg.jpg

I have unconditional love for Earl Coleman, but I would hesitate to recommend this record to somebody who didn't. His pitch is at times really wobbly, and the record is actually a program of Coleman vocal tracks alternating with Ted Dunbar solo tracks. That programming decision is nowhere explained in the notes (and isn't even hinted at on the cover) and one is left wondering if Coleman was in bad voice that day and Don Schlitten called the session (NP: Don Schlitten - Callin' the Session!!!) and called on Dunbar to make it a record. I'd think f it had been an actual concept that it would have been pimped as such.

But still - I have unconditional love for Earl Coleman. No matter where the notes land, the words always come out in the right place and in the right way.

I think I remember some 1977 Earl Coleman was played on our then very popular austrian Saturday night Radio Show "Jazz Shop", moderated by Herwig Wurzer (I call him the Austrian Symphony Sid), and he also commented Earl Coleman´s Deep voice and announced the record this way "Right now something for the ladies to listen to….."

Sorry to say I don´t have the late 1977 Earl Coleman stuff, but I also love his stuff from the 40´s very much, especially the sides with Fats Navarro and Don Lanphere…….

But I don´t know absolute Nothing about his life.  

On this cover photo he looks quite dapper, almost like Horace Silver…..

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I remember some 1977 Earl Coleman was played on our then very popular austrian Saturday night Radio Show "Jazz Shop", moderated by Herwig Wurzer (I call him the Austrian Symphony Sid), and he also commented Earl Coleman´s Deep voice and announced the record this way "Right now something for the ladies to listen to….."

Those were the days 😎 ....

Hutch, that must be a tasty album. You will like the album Dex and NHØP did for Blue Note. It has Donald Byrd on one track, and Arthur Taylor.

NHØP was an amazing bass player. I have the 1965 "Violin Summit", featuring four violinists, and Nils-Henning steals the show. (Not that the fiddle players are not good.)