• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, BillF said:

71Z6OxfI6zL._SX355_.jpg

The Watts Towers were a godsend to jazz album cover designers.

Took a detour once to check them out in person. Quite memorable !

The Coltrane album is a definite ‘find’ - some lovely music on there, albeit short tracks - and in RVGs superb mono sound. Vinyl version recommended !

52 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Both music and cover art 👍👍!!

Too bad about the side 2 of the pressing - clicks and pops. Without that issue, an excellent release. Probably better vinyl quality than the original A&M Horizon too (which were on the thin side, typical of that vintage).

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-1126315-1551975937-7534.jpeg.jpg

John Lewis & Svend Asmussen - European Encounter (Atlantic, 1962)
Jazzlore series reissue

Years ago, I had the cassette tape version of this release. It's long gone. But I recently found a still-sealed copy of the LP for a couple bucks. ... Nice to hear it again. :) 

Nice story about a legendary album. 

I´ll never Forget the exitement of all of us when we read that Miles would return to record Studio and tour, and how we waited to be "Man with the Horn" and "We Want..." published. 

I have listened to Miles live on almost all ocasions he was in town from his comeback until his death, but this first band was the one I like most. It was brandnew then, but even had Moments were it seems they looked back . "Back Seat Betty" reminds me of "Miles runs the Vooodoo down" from Bitches Brew. 

"My Man´s Gone Now" is great, and "Kix" even has a lot of swing rhythm for long sections. 

It was said that Miles´ trumpet still didn´t sound properly, but play he does on those sides, much more than on the more celebrated later Shows which I didn´t like that much. "Star People" still was a quite good Album, but with "Decoy" I started to loose interest and if I spinned "You Are Under Arrest" or "Tutu" or "Amandla" more than 3 times in my life, I´d be very surprised…….

Unbenannt.png

R-3765309-1343506795-1741.jpeg.jpg

I picked up this LP because Clare Fischer plays Fender Rhodes on all the cuts and arranged the non-vocal parts. ... Can't say that I love it.  But the music is interesting -- even if it doesn't approach the brilliance of Fischer's recordings as a leader from the same era. :)   

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-3765309-1343506795-1741.jpeg.jpg

I picked up this LP because Clare Fischer plays Fender Rhodes on all the cuts and arranged the non-vocal parts. ... Can't say that I love it.  But the music is interesting -- even if it doesn't approach the brilliance of Fischer's recordings as a leader from the same era. :)   

Don't know how exposed you are to the Singers Unlimited, but if you want interesting, check out the a capella sides...they did three LPs worth that are currently available on a 2 CD set. Here's a typical example:

And if you want to hear what, for me, is the apex of the Fischer/Puerling collaboration, here ya' go:

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Don't know how exposed you are to the Singers Unlimited, but if you want interesting, check out the a capella sides...they did three LPs worth that are currently available on a 2 CD set. Here's a typical example:

[video]

And if you want to hear what, for me, is the apex of the Fischer/Puerling collaboration, here ya' go:

[video]

Thanks for the recommendations, Jim.  I'm listening to them right now. 

There's a Wonder Bread aspect to the Singers Unlimited / Hi-Lo's music -- smoothly textured & exceedingly white.  Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.  Gotta say though ... I've always had a tough time grooving to the Beach Boys, and this sort of reminds me of that.