What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Thanks for the recommendations, Jim.  I'm listening to them right now. 

There's a Wonder Bread aspect to the Singers Unlimited / Hi-Lo's music -- smoothly textured & exceedingly white.  Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.  Gotta say though ... I've always had a tough time grooving to the Beach Boys, and this sort of reminds me of that. 

I get that. felt the same way for a loooooong time. It took be a while to get comfortable with that.

But I got over it. At some point, you either value honesty or you don't. And there's an honesty, a truth, even, to the aural physics of the basic space created by those harmonies, a big wide open, damn-near infinite space.

In the end, I find it hard to believe that that type of space is only for white people. Infinity is for everybody. If it's not, then it's not really infinity, is it?

Similarly, nobody can be all of infinity, so everybody plays their part, either in getting there or keeping us from getting there.

Perception is a trickster of the most insidious and vile variety. It wants us to believe that all we have now is all we can ever have. And it wants us to believe that if we can never know it all, then it's foolish to want to know more. It wants us to stay who we are, because, you know, it's hard to hit a moving target.

Gotta keep moving!

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I get that. felt the same way for a loooooong time. It took be a while to get comfortable with that.

But I got over it. At some point, you either value honesty or you don't. And there's an honesty, a truth, even, to the aural physics of the basic space created by those harmonies, a big wide open, damn-near infinite space.

In the end, I find it hard to believe that that type of space is only for white people. Infinity is for everybody. If it's not, then it's not really infinity, is it?

Similarly, nobody can be all of infinity, so everybody plays their part, either in getting there or keeping us from getting there.

Perception is a trickster of the most insidious and vile variety. It wants us to believe that all we have now is all we can ever have. And it wants us to believe that if we can never know it all, then it's foolish to want to know more. It wants us to stay who we are, because, you know, it's hard to hit a moving target.

Gotta keep moving!

Fair enough.  I dig that perspective.  Even if I don't really hear the music now, perhaps I will tomorrow:tup 

That ear-evolution thing is (hopefully!) always happening.

Edited by HutchFan

Also, I'm prone to liking musics that are "exceedingly" anything. I mean, I've never complained about music being exceedingly black, or exceeding hillbilly, or exceedingly Mexican, or...you know. Seems to me that the downside to being turned of by exceedingly something is a willingness to settle for something that is "sorta" anything.

Careful with that, now!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Also, I'm prone to liking musics that are "exceedingly" anything. I mean, I've never complained about music being exceedingly black, or exceeding hillbilly, or exceedingly Mexican, or...you know. Seems to me that the downside to being turned of by exceedingly something is a willingness to settle for something that is "sorta" anything.

Careful with that, now!

LOL. You know, you're right! 

Maybe I need to let go and FULLY EMBRACE the Wonder Bread-ness of it! 

GUEST_9d949e79-f32b-4022-9eb4-42540e8862

It is what it unapologetically is!

... I'm kidding. But only partly. I also hear what you're saying. ;) 

Ah, but Wonder Bread is chemical. Gene Puerling was organic. Nothing chemical about basic vocal harmony, even with overdubbing.

And good white bread, the kind you make from scratch, ain't nothing wrong with that! Smells good, tastes even better!

Now here's some next-level whatever that "thing" is. I saw this guys live and it's STILL fucking me up!

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

The ear-evolution will not be televised :D ....

and it DAMN sure won't be played on the radio! :g

32 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

sidewinder, who is Mr. Tanno?

Hiroshi Tanno - A wonderful jazz vinyl mail order dealer from Japan (ran a shop as well I believe). He closed shop over a decade ago now but back in the day his listings were full of gems - reasonably priced too and invariably immaculate condition. Mr Tanno is missed !

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Hiroshi Tanno - A wonderful jazz vinyl mail order dealer from Japan (ran a shop as well I believe). He closed shop over a decade ago now but back in the day his listings were full of gems - reasonably priced too and invariably immaculate condition. Mr Tanno is missed !

Ah, I see. :tup 

Very nice late 70´s issue. I bought it when it was brand new. Very fine arrangements by Sy Johnson. And I like the combination of straight ahead acoustic with some sounds more typical of the 70´s , it was a nice mixture, and the choice of Chick Corea tunes is also fine. 

Really a treasure. 

Unbenannt.png

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Very nice late 70´s issue. I bought it when it was brand new. Very fine arrangements by Sy Johnson. And I like the combination of straight ahead acoustic with some sounds more typical of the 70´s , it was a nice mixture, and the choice of Chick Corea tunes is also fine. 

Really a treasure. 

Unbenannt.png

I need to pull that LP off the shelf and give it a spin!  :tup 

My copy looks like this:

R-3359089-1327310275.jpeg.jpg

I like your cover better. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I need to pull that LP off the shelf and give it a spin!  :tup 

My copy looks like this:

R-3359089-1327310275.jpeg.jpg

I like your cover better. ;) 

wow, I never saw Lee Konitz that way. I couldn´t say, which album cover looks better. But on yours is also a soprano sax , and anyway Lee plays some fine soprano on that album also. 

The very first Lee Konitz I ever heard on Radio was Lee solo, I think from the album "Lone-Lee" , a solo version of Cherokee . 

Now spinning:

R-2545704-1388284219-6781.jpeg.jpg

Anthony Davis - Lady of the Mirrors (India Navigation, 1980)

Gripping solo piano that owes as much to Scriabin & Bartok as it does to jazz.  I suppose any artist who stakes out territory in the no-man's land between classical and jazz is unlikely to be lionized by followers of either genre and can expect to be regarded as "neither fish nor fowl." ... That's a shame because Davis has made some powerful music that deserves to be more well-known.