Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Shamek Farrah is a name that's completely new to me. 

I'm listening to this music now via YT. Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up, Pim. :tup

It’s a nice record 👍 I only know Sonelius Smith on this record and he is great here. But bassist Milton Suggs (unknown to me) is also playing very strong. Pure Pleasure’s reissue is one hell of a remaster. Spotless sound. And Strata wasn’t exactly known for good sound quality...

I knew Milton in Chicago. Fine musician and nice guy. I forgot he is gone.

On 12/29/2019 at 2:17 PM, JSngry said:

91MJsfafGGL._SX522_.jpg

R-13131984-1548612048-6296.jpeg.jpg

Not an OG, some Scorpio-WG/NRP pressing of less than perfect vinility. But good enough.

Note (fwiw) the presence of Emil Richards (RIP). And also Gary Coleman (not the actor), a name familiar if you read credits on a buttload full of LA pop records from back in the day.

This music was once deemed "exotic", "difficult", "eccentric", etc. Here in 2019 (almost 2020), it sounds so...normal. And beautiful!

That is contained in this Sony CD set:

71LQlXziiGL._AC_UY436_QL65_ML3_.jpg

and that set includes the instrument demonstrations from the Delusion of the Fury lp box. Delusion of the Fury can be heard without the clicks and pops on

this cd - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000035X6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

R-4305408-1366976149-8897.jpeg.jpg

Charlie Barnet - CB: Volume 1 (RCA Vintage Series)

First spin of an LP I plucked from a dollar bin not too long ago.  Enjoying it! 

21 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Milton Suggs is the father of a popular jazz singer by the same name. 

The only place that I've seen Milton Suggs' name before was on Mary Lou Williams' Zoning.

Edited by HutchFan

22 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

why was this cut so many times theres an original, then the 1979 which i have the white label promo of, then in 81 it comes w/ a slightly redesigned cover w/ a sticker..mastered again in 81,youll see-

chewy,

I have no idea why they remastered the music, but I'd always assumed that the later repressing with different covers were just cost-saving efforts on the part of the record label.  The early CTI pressings all had gatefold covers with super-thick cardboard sleeves.  Subsequent repressings/reissues didn't have gatefold covers and the cardstock for the covers was no heavier than standard releases.

As I said though, the cost-savings thing is just an assumption on my part. 

Edited by HutchFan

31 minutes ago, Brad said:

Hard to understand why this hasn’t been digitally released. 

Well, all the albums have, and that's probably what "they" wanted. But this focused collation of just trio tracks,,,I think it's a really good way to hear certain things about Horace as both player and composer that aren't always to the forefront of the band recordings.

Just my opinion, though. "They" don't ask me what I think.  :g

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, this is an "essential" set (musically as well as thematically), and has yet to be satisfactorily replicated digitally, afaik,

But it was released on CD, only I´m not sure if there´s also a RVG edition of it. 

I have this with the original cover: 

And the same cover photo/design is on the next BN Album "Horace Silver with Jazz Messengers", the one with "The Preacher" on it...….

I think I have all Horace Silver albums from the 50´s in cronological order but somehow actually I´m listening to other stuff. 

Unbenannt.png

Capitol  EMS 1157 George Shearing Quintet live at Santa Monica - rec. 1963

featuring  George Shearing (p) / Johnny Gray (g) / Gary Burton (vibes) / Bill Yancey (b) / Vernel Fournier (dr)

37590984hh.jpg

37590987ju.jpg

37590985zc.jpg

On 3.1.2020 at 6:43 AM, Gheorghe said:

I think I have all Horace Silver albums from the 50´s in cronological order but somehow actually I´m listening to other stuff. 

Unbenannt.png

An interesting CD box [You can't have enough "Silverr"]

;-]]

37591022lq.jpg

37591023al.jpg