• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have liked this one for 54 years now; it hasn't dated a bit. Don Friedman, Attila Zoller, Richard Davis, Joe Chambers. A pricey CD, but If you see this one used on vinyl, don't hesitate. Friedman and Zoller were a great team, as were Davis and Chambers. Too bad that Friedman and Zoller are gone.

51xIB0o5q2L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

On 1/11/2020 at 0:52 PM, JSngry said:

R-4662551-1371496773-5703.jpeg.jpg

whoa, wasn't expecting this...LieberStoller songs, Johnny Mandel arrangements, the whole thing sounds like an "updated" Lotte Lenya/Kurt Weil collaboration, without any of the myriad things that could go wrong with that going wrong.

I love that album.  As I get older, this song in particular certainly has a fuller meaning for me.

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Pim, I've never seen that LP before. 

What do you think of the music?

It is pretty damn good :) Sonny Grey is in prime form and this is of course Mal’s great period although he doesn’t get to much space. Definitely interesting and worth hearing.

13 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

My copy has an orange "stereo" sticker on a mono jacket.

51PVPrgpkRL.jpg

All CD versions I heard of The Soul Man! had way too much compression (2 recent Japanese, and also I believe 1996 Germany, except the 1992 Japanese Victor VICJ-23726 which I'm spinning now, mastered at Fantasy Studios 1991. These are the only 4 CD versions Discogs lists. Was there an early 90s US release on CD?

4cW8NW2.jpg

Edited by erwbol

2 minutes ago, erwbol said:

All CD versions I heard of The Soul Man had way too much compression (2 recent Japanese, and also I believe 1996 Germany, except the 1992 Japanese Victor VICJ-23726 which I'm spinning now, mastered at Fantasy Studios 1991. These are the only 4 CD versions Discogs lists. Was there an early 90s US release on CD?

4cW8NW2.jpg

It is included in this Prestige cd from 1994.

41JS2PDKPDL.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

It is included in this Prestige cd from 1994.

41JS2PDKPDL.jpg

That explains why I couldn't find it. The German CD was an early effort by ZYX to do the mastering in-house according to Discogs. A few years later this lead to the disastrous black border 20bit digipacks.

3 hours ago, Pim said:

It is pretty damn good :) Sonny Grey is in prime form and this is of course Mal’s great period although he doesn’t get to much space. Definitely interesting and worth hearing.

I have the original French pressing on Numera (which was apparently distributed by Futura, as it's got a big Futura logo sticker on the verso -- different cover art). It's a really nice record. Grey, Waldron, and Clarke are certainly the reasons to pick it up, as all are indeed in top form. It's a moody, somewhat avant-garde leaning post-bop date.

41 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I have the original French pressing on Numera (which was apparently distributed by Futura, as it's got a big Futura logo sticker on the verso -- different cover art). It's a really nice record. Grey, Waldron, and Clarke are certainly the reasons to pick it up, as all are indeed in top form. It's a moody, somewhat avant-garde leaning post-bop date.

Very accurate description! The version you have is quite rare and goes for quite a lot of money. But I do believe it is not the only rare thing in your collection ;)

The Japanese version on mercury is a little easier to get. Sound quality is very good.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

1 hour ago, Pim said:

Very accurate description! The version you have is quite rare and goes for quite a lot of money. But I do believe it is not the only rare thing in your collection ;)

The Japanese version on mercury is a little easier to get. Sound quality is very good.

Thanks for the additional info, gents. :tup 

R-6202913-1546709551-3309.jpeg.jpg

10 years after it came out I finally got this great Pure Pleasure release. Sonics are superb, you could almost be in the club. Didn’t catch this particular Ronnie Scott engagement but I did catch Art as part of George Wein’s London Fest that same Summer season, so it all has great personal meaning. Better late than never. :)

It blows the Mole Jazz LPs out of the water !

Edited by sidewinder