What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

10 years after it came out I finally got this great Pure Pleasure release. Sonics are superb, you could almost be in the club. Didn’t catch this particular Ronnie Scott engagement but I did catch Art as part of George Wein’s London Fest that same Summer season, so it all has great personal meaning. Better late than never. :)

It blows the Mole Jazz LPs out of the water !

:tup:tup:tup!!!

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, soulpope said:

:tup:tup:tup!!!

Delighted to see in the booklet (up to Mosaic standards) Art reminiscing about his performance at Capital LJF 1980 of ‘Over The Rainbow’ backed by John Lewis, Slam Stewart and Roy Haynes. He brought the house down - and I can recall it to this day. Freddie Hubbard preceded him with this trio and Dizzy G. took over afterwards. They don’t make concerts like that any more. :)

I think it was THIS band that made Blakey and the Messengers popular again. 

His early- and mid seventies Discography was quite thin and with Valery Ponomarev, Dave Schnitter, Bobby Watson, James Williams and Dennis Irwin he really had a band that was together and every one was a top soloist. 

I saw the band with Ponomarev, Watson, Williams still in the Group, but another Tenor Player (Billy Pierce) and another bass Player (Charles Fambrough).

Unbenannt.png

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think it was THIS band that made Blakey and the Messengers popular again. 

His early- and mid seventies Discography was quite thin and with Valery Ponomarev, Dave Schnitter, Bobby Watson, James Williams and Dennis Irwin he really had a band that was together and every one was a top soloist. 

I saw the band with Ponomarev, Watson, Williams still in the Group, but another Tenor Player (Billy Pierce) and another bass Player (Charles Fambrough).

Unbenannt.png

I have this on cd. Good Art I thought. Never saw him in concert but did get to see Ponomarev several years ago. 

Edited by Brad

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Same here - first time I saw Blakey.

We had the Blakey 5tet in Oct. 1979 in our private jazz club in Koblenz , Germany with this group

Valery Ponomarev, Dave Schnitter, Bobby Watson, James Williams and Dennis Irwin . It was a marvellous concert

Edited by jazzcorner

Interesting timing - might have been late 1979 or into 1980 that I saw the group at Ronnie’s. Not entirely sure if it was Ponamarev on trumpet or Bill Hardman on a return stint but the rest of the group were as listed. Wish I had kept a diary !  Thinking about it, I can always check the gig report in Jazz Journal.

Another nice LP from the Messengers from my Collection is "Dr. Jekyll".

I wanted to post the pic, but get the message "you are only allowed to….." and even when I made it smaller I got the same damn message. 

Anyway: It´s a live date of the mid 80´s Messengers with Terence Blanchard and Donald Harrison. 

And because we discussing our live experiences, I saw the Messengers again in 1983 with that Blanchard-Harrison Tandem plus Jean Toussaint, only it still wasn´t Mulgrew Miller on piano, it was a fine piano player named "O´Neill" if I remember right, and had a nice piano feature on a Ballad Medley also, I think he did a very original Version of the otherwise rather overplayed "Summertime".

Saw that version of the Messengers in early 1983 (Feb?) too. It was Johnny O’Neill on piano, who plays very regularly these days at SMALLS and Mezzrow. Jean Toussaint liked the UK so much that he stayed, much to the benefit of the local scene.

The lineup I saw before that had Wynton and Branford.

Edited by sidewinder

It was in 1984, I think, on two consecutive nights--Terrence Blanchard as musical director, with Jean Toussaint, Donald Harrison, Mullgrew Miller, and Lonnie Plaxico. Marchel Ivery sitting in on tenor at the end of the second set (with Donald Harrison and jean Toussaint looking taken aback that Marchel got more applause than they did).

Edited by kh1958

56 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

It was in 1984, I think, on two consecutive nights--Terrence Blanchard as musical director, with Jean Toussaint, Donald Harrison, Mullgrew Miller, and Lonnie Plaxico. Marchel Ivery sitting in on tenor at the end of the second set (with Donald Harrison and jean Toussaint looking taken aback that Marchel got more applause than they did).

Having seen Marchel Ivery live twice, I can understand the applause. He played great those two times that I saw him.

Influenced by the James Moody discussion on the thread "Reflections on the 70´s" : Listen how Moody sounds really ahead of his time. At some moments he is almost into some post Coltrane stuff ! 

Anyway that´s a fantastic Music. Miles is almost as sharp as Fats on this, and you have a good chance to hear some really strong Tadd Dameron solo piano. that´s not just "arranger´s style". His ballad solos on Don´t Blame Me and Embraceable you are beauties…...

Unbenannt.png

On 1/18/2020 at 2:01 AM, soulpope said:

Groovy Rhythm Section ....

Yup. And Dex in prime form too.

On 1/18/2020 at 0:14 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

god no wonder 1985?!?!  like right before OJC era....but on the 70s style label...weird

Recorded in 1970. Maybe that's why they went with the "old" green label?

EDIT: 
Dexter with Junior Mance At Montreux is also the subject of my post for today (Sunday, 01/19) on PLAYING FAVORITES.

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

never heard the mono, it would be nice to hear this without the seperation, I can really focus on the music better in mono, instead of it dancing around all over place with stereo imaging.   

Astonished at just how good it was - a pressing with tremendous presence and clout. Plus of course it is a stealth Hank Mobley record and Hank plays very nicely indeed.

Maybe press the mono button on your amp?

Edited by sidewinder