Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

What a pain in the ass that old analog audio equipment was. I wonder if all the hipsters buying turntables today are even aware that such maintenance is necessary.

Well, if you've still got thousands of LPs, are you going to throw them in the trash or play them? Not everything worth listening to is on CD.

6 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

What a pain in the ass that old analog audio equipment was. I wonder if all the hipsters buying turntables today are even aware that such maintenance is necessary.

Taking care of my analog equipment is a pleasure for me, few tips and it's done. Cooking or gardening is much more complicated and time consuming IMO.

Edited by porcy62

On 18.1.2020 at 8:01 AM, soulpope said:

Groovy Rhythm Section ....

Two years later there was another live at Montreux "Blues a la Suisse" with Hampton Hawes, Bob Cranshaw and Kenny Clarke. Acoustic purists critizized it because Hampton Hawes playes Electric piano, but IMHO it sound´s good and groovy, same as the Gene Ammons Album from the same date with Dexter and Cannonball sittin in, with the same Rhythm section.

1 minute ago, Gheorghe said:

Two years later there was another live at Montreux "Blues a la Suisse" with Hampton Hawes, Bob Cranshaw and Kenny Clarke. Acoustic purists critizized it because Hampton Hawes playes Electric piano, but IMHO it sound´s good and groovy, same as the Gene Ammons Album from the same date with Dexter and Cannonball sittin in, with the same Rhythm section.

Bob Cranshaw`s E-Bass (for me) a showstopper ....

This past weekend:

Lee Morgan, The Sixth Sense (Blue Note) Image result for Lee Morgan the sixth senseIt's About Time (Jimmy Hamilton album).jpgImage result for Hampton Hawes all night session vol 1

Jimmy Hamilton, It's About Time (Prestige Swingville)

Hampton Hawes, All Night Session, volume 1 (Contemporary)Image result for Sam the man taylor moodsville 34Image result for Paul Horn Carlos Lyra columbia

Sam "the Man" Taylor Plays the Bad and the Beautiful (Prestige Moodsville)

Paul Horn and Carlos Lyra, The Sound of Ipanema (Columbia)(

Edited by kh1958

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

soulpope, do you have the Waldron / Friesen duo LP on Muse? 

I've never heard it.  But I assume that it's excellent too. 

It is a nice album, although David Friesen (compared to Waldron`s bassplayers in the 80`s like Reggie Workman or Ed Schuller) remains rather on the lightweight side ....

On 22.1.2020 at 2:20 AM, HutchFan said:

R-5035909-1382743797-5041.jpeg.jpg

Last weekend, I found this Hampton Hawes LP in a local shop.  I was happy to stumble across it.  Been wanting to hear it for a long while.

From the cover photo I think this must be a later recording. As much as I know Hampton Hawes died in 1977 at 49 years only. I heard some Hampton Hawes on Electric piano from around 1973 also. I know there are a lot of acoustic purists, but he sounds good on the Electric too. 

I think, withouth that huge afro he looked better. On photos from the 60´s he really Looks smart. Like on "Green Leaves of the Summer"