• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CTI  CTX 6031/32 Don Sebesky " Giant Box" - Rec at Van Gelder Studios April / May 1973

with

Don Sebesky (p/ep/organ/clavinet/accordion) / Bob James (p/organ) / Ron Carter (b/eb/ piccolo b) / Billy Cobham (dr) /  Airto (perc) / George Benson (g) /  Margaret Ross (harp) / Paul Desmons (as) / Joe Farrell (ss) / Groov er Washington jr. (as) / Milt Jackson (vibes) / Freddie Hubbard (tp & fh) / Hubert Laws (fl /ss) / Jakie Cain (voc) +horns, woodwind section, violins  & cellos

37798111eb.jpg

37797911wz.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
typo

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

All three Don Cherry Albums are great. I think this was hard to find during my youth. I somehow could find "Complete Communion" and "Where´s Brooklyn?" but the "Improvisers" had to wait until the CD Era. 

And then came down Mosaic...

Edited by porcy62

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

All three Don Cherry Albums are great. I think this was hard to find during my youth. I somehow could find "Complete Communion" and "Where´s Brooklyn?" but the "Improvisers" had to wait until the CD Era. 

Which is why it was in the first batch of Connoisseur releases. Those first 12 Connoisseur releases were chosen specifically because of their scarcity.

R-1820374-1519511221-6318.jpeg.jpg

LP 1 of 2 - Originally released as Buck Clayton Jams Benny Goodman (Columbia, 1955)

EDIT:
Now spinning LP 2 of 2 - Originally released as Jumpin' at the Woodside (Columbia, 1955)

I never got the Buck Clayton Mosaic set, but these two LPs are Deeee-licious.  :wub:

Edited by HutchFan

Going through a pile of LPS I purchased at an estate sale probably last spring,  Lots of Duke Ellington, Ella and Satchmo were in the pile I got to first that day but probably listened to just some of the Duke stuff since then   Decided to correct that today so its Louis and Ella the rest of the day.  Currently spinning side two of a mono  6 eye of Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five Vol 1

R-1599620-1231305329.jpeg.jpg

Pat Martino ‘Joyous Lake’ (Warners). Really like this - one of today’s nice finds.

R-3406408-1494504078-5696.jpeg.jpg

Another nice find.

On 05/02/2020 at 6:20 PM, mjazzg said:

R-4657614-1371304219-1628.jpeg.jpg

The Tubby Hayes Orchestra - Tubbs' Tours [Fontana]

from 'The Fontana Albums' box set. I don't have an original to make a comparison but the sound on this is just fabulous. 

Believe it or not, I’ve still to crack my vinyl box open and do the comparison. The CDs are too good !

5 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

The only one of her LPs I have is with Mal Waldron on Japanese Victor, but I like it quite a bit.

Never even heard of that one. On my list !

Impressed with this ‘Butterfly’ reissue. On BeWithRecords - never even heard of them but apparently they are from these islands. 

Edited by sidewinder

R-179413-1291505572.jpeg.jpg

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody

This album always reminds me of West Virginia because its were I lived when I first heard it and of course the mountains on the cover. My young mind thought they we're the only other minorities in West Virginia and I felt a connection that they were singing to my family. Ahhhh to be young and naive.  

6 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

R-179413-1291505572.jpeg.jpg

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody

This album always reminds me of West Virginia because its were I lived when I first heard it and of course the mountains on the cover. My young mind thought they we're the only other minorities in West Virginia and I felt a connection that they were singing to my family. Ahhhh to be young and naive.  

Teddy Pendergrass better than ever here ....

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Do we have a thread on jazz in art?

Your cover is "Jazz Musicians" by Nicholas De Stael:

f58415166b0f0e8a4cfcbe91dcc2a6a9.jpg

:tup

3 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Do we have a thread on jazz in art?

No as far as I know as new member. Have added some David Stone Martin covers ----> cover art.

I do remember that Pacific Jazz once had some domestic artists from the west coast on their LP covers in a short lived series.

Edited by jazzcorner

32 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

:tup

No as far as I know as new member. Have added some David Stone Martin covers ----> cover art.

I do remember that Pacific Jazz once had some domestic artists from the west coast on their LP covers in a short lived series.

As far as the big names in the art world go, the only others, apart from De Stael, I can think of who refer specifically to jazz are Stuart Davis:

RV-AC683_MASTER_G_20110506003742.jpg

and of course Mondrian's Broadway Boogie Woogie

240px-Piet_Mondrian%2C_1942_-_Broadway_B

and the unfinished Victory Boogie Woogie:

piet-mondrian-victory-boogie-woogie.jpg

Edited by BillF