Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, porcy62 said:

BTW I paid a fair amount of $$$ to one of these big sellers down in LA for this one, never regret. You can't go wrong with a DuNann mono pressing.

I have an original Contemporary stereo and the Vogue mono. That will do me fine ! No interest in getting hold of the new Masserati Edition or the Craft Slices box. :D

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I have an original Contemporary stereo and the Vogue mono. That will do me fine ! No interest in getting hold of the new Masserati Edition or the Craft Slices box. :D

I agree, I am too old to loose my time looking for the best sounding of every records out there.

3 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Is it a Brinkmann?

Yes, a Brinkmann Bardo (with Jelco SA-750EB tonearm, Acoustical Systems arche headshell and Ikeda 9TS MC cartridge). Do you still have your Lagrange?

On 2/7/2020 at 6:44 AM, porcy62 said:

Inspired by this thread, original mono pressing. Can't imagine a better sounding issue.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:56 AM, sidewinder said:

I have an original Contemporary stereo and the Vogue mono. That will do me fine ! No interest in getting hold of the new Masserati Edition or the Craft Slices box.

Haha, easy to look down on reissues (Maseratis) when you have original pressings (Ferraris). I guess everyone would prefer these but they are nearly impossible to find in near mint condition. And if you find one, expect to pay $$$$.

Edited by Misterioso

7 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Haha, easy to look down on reissues (Maseratis) when you have original pressings (Ferraris). I guess everyone would prefer these but they are nearly impossible to find in near mint condition. And if you find one, expect to pay $$$$.

It was more easily done in times past. Got the Contemporary nearly 20 years ago at a quite reasonable price, pretty well mint too. The Vogue was more recent - in great nick and I got change from £30.

Misterioso - I see you are from Melbourne. I recall a really nice vinyl outlet on that long street in a trendy area, on the way out of downtown with the trolley busses (sorry, can’t recall the name of it). Not cheap but I picked up a few nice offerings when I was there.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Misterioso - I see you are from Melbourne. I recall a really nice vinyl outlet on that long street in a trendy area, on the way out of downtown with the trolley busses (sorry, can’t recall the name of it). Not cheap but I picked up a few nice offerings when I was there.

Yes, there are still some 2nd hand vinyl shops in Melbourne's trendy suburbs. But it must be a tough market. Just last month two independent record stores announced that they are going out of business, one of them after 40 years in Melbourne.

10 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Yes, a Brinkmann Bardo (with Jelco SA-750EB tonearm, Acoustical Systems arche headshell and Ikeda 9TS MC cartridge). Do you still have your Lagrange?

Haha, easy to look down on reissues (Maseratis) when you have original pressings (Ferraris). I guess everyone would prefer these but they are nearly impossible to find in near mint condition. And if you find one, expect to pay $$$

Yes, I changed few things in my system, but I stay on the Brinkmann and Linn amps and CD player.

About Ferrari and Maserati, there are a lot of nice used Toyotas and Lexus out there that is my ruote when I search records.

BTW nice rig! I really like your Ikeda, the Japs are unbeatable on cartridges.

Edited by porcy62

1 hour ago, Misterioso said:

Yes, there are still some 2nd hand vinyl shops in Melbourne's trendy suburbs. But it must be a tough market. Just last month two independent record stores announced that they are going out of business, one of them after 40 years in Melbourne.

I hope that isn’t the one I remember visiting. It was in an old building in a hip cluster of shops and I had the feeling that it had been a running concern for many years. The owner was European I recall and he had some nice SABAs on display. I picked up the Sadi ‘Ensadinado’ there and also the Neil Ardley ‘Greek Variations’ Aussie version, which was at a very reasonable price.

There was also a store I visited further out in a more suburban location which was megabucks but offered genuine rarities, mainly in the classic rock idiom.

1 hour ago, porcy62 said:

Yes, I changed few things in my system, but I stay on the Brinkmann and Linn amps and CD player.

Outnumbered by you fancy Brinkmann guys - old traditional fart here running sprung mattress Linn deck with Naim. No bass and treble controls in this household. :D

Edited by sidewinder

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I hope that isn’t the one I remember visiting. It was in an old building in a hip cluster of shops and I had the feeling that it had been a running concern for many years. The owner was European I recall and he had some nice SABAs on display. I picked up the Sadi ‘Ensadinado’ there and also the Neil Ardley ‘Greek Variations’ Aussie version, which was at a very reasonable price.

There was also a store I visited further out in a more suburban location which was megabucks but offered genuine rarities, mainly in the classic rock idiom.

Your memory about records is really impressive, I forgot even I had a record!

Edited by porcy62

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Outnumbered by you fancy Brinkmann guys - old traditional fart here running sprung mattress Linn deck with Naim. :D

Sound a part, the Brinkmann is stylish like the Linn Kilmax amps and Kontrol pre amp, I am italian. :cool:

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I always remember a good record store porcy ! My vacations are highlighted by what vinyl shops I called in at. :D

Each his own "museum".

7 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

Sound a part, the Brinkmann is stylish like the Linn Kilmax amps and Kontrol pre amp, I am italian. :cool:

Each his own "museum".

Amp-wise I switched up to Naim NAP 300 DR last year firing into big Dynaudio Contour 60s. Very happy with that,  likely my end game switch as NAP 552 with 500 DR would bankrupt me, not even considering the Statement option. :unsure:

Edited by sidewinder

In the last twenty years I traded my Audio Research pre amp with a used Linn Klimax pre amp, the tubed Manley phono with a solid state Burmester and the Wilson speakers for the Vivid Audio K1. I am done ten years ago. I had to buy a new mono cartridge one year ago because unfortunately I brooke the cantilever of the old one, the repair was too expensive.

3 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

In the last twenty years I traded my Audio Research pre amp with a used Linn Klimax pre amp, the tubed Manley phono with a solid state Burmester and the Wilson speakers for the Vivid Audio K1. I am done ten years ago. I had to buy a new mono cartridge one year ago because unfortunately I brooke the cantilever of the old one, the repair was too expensive.

Yes, if you are anything like me there is a tradeoff now between the annual deterioration of hearing and how much you are prepared to spend on future upgrades. One reason I like Dynavector cartridges is that they give you quite a good trade in discount when renewing.

I am thinking of putting IsoAcoustics Gaia isolators to replace the Contour spikes but that is probably me done !

Edited by sidewinder

4 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

Yep, and I do not have fun anymore changing components in the system, I am only playing the records I own nowadays.

Fair enough - and a very good position to be in. :)

fried-bananas.jpg

First spin for this one on Gearbox Records -  new copy picked up in a sale last week.

Edited by sidewinder