What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

16 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, it's very annoying. I very nearly purchased that last month from a certain Leicester based supplier. I have 'Bura Bura' and was intrigued by the rest of the concert.

Likewise but I thought after I’d bought! On the up side the sound is excellent but then it ought to be if it’s copied from a CD. 

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 16.5.2004 at 11:43 PM, sidewinder said:

the only way to really listen to jazz is on vinyl. It just seems so RIGHT, know what I mean? Even the little staticky parts on the vinyl :) The vinyl sounds better, more ALIVE. I love that quality, as welll as the larger art work, the record label, and all that glorious vinyl.

It depends on the pickup system you use. I have Shure V15 IV and my vinyls sound really good.

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

418787.jpg

who from my Generation wouldn´t remember those Prestige Two Record Sets, specially prized, which was very welcome for a teenie like I  was. 

We all knew those classic Things "Blue´n Boogie" "Groovin Hight" "Salt Peanuts". That´s from where I learned to Play that Music and I´m still grateful I had the possibility to get in touch with this Wonderful Music through those low prized doublealbums, this and the French laber "Musidisc" , another cheap source of Music. 

On the other Hand: Those Recordings of Course were not Prestige Studio Dates, it was for example the old "Guild" sessions. 

Dizzy never was a "Prestige" Artist like so many others (mostly hard boppers) were. 

11 hours ago, sidewinder said:

418787.jpg

Still a cult record for me.

The VERY first modern jazz record I ever bought in the mid-70s at the age of 15 (maybe going on 16) about a year after I had started buying and "collecting" jazz records. I had read about Bird and Diz (notably in Berendt's "Jazz Book") and was rather curious but preferred to ease my way chronologically into this (for me) "new territory". Regardless of what everyone had written by then about this revolutionary (and revolting) upheaval in 40s jazz, my initial listening impressions were that all this was quite a logical extension and continuation of swing (at least of whatever I had been familiar with in early 40s-style swing at that time). Intense music (not just "Things to Come") but certainly not disturbing or unsettling and quite accessible. (Eventually I even picked up a spare copy of this twofer when a clean and cheap copy came up at a fleamarket.) So the path for further explorations was set (I think one of my next bebop acquisitions were the Dial recordings by Dexter Gordon reissued on Storyville).
And @Gheorge - never mind if Diz never was a Prestige artist (well, almost ... check out that final session of 1950 on side 4. It was actually first released on Prestige): Blind Lemon Jefferson was no Milestone artist either. ;) And yes - those twofers were a godsend at the time (and I still look out for them).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

who from my Generation wouldn´t remember those Prestige Two Record Sets, specially prized, which was very welcome for a teenie like I  was.

Agree, my introduction into jazz, with the very few italian pressing of Impulse! and a weekly, and cheap, serie of Jazz Giants (I Grandi del Jazz) sold in Newspapers kiosks.

On 31.1.2020 at 11:19 PM, sidewinder said:

R-3792268-1351988918-4472.jpeg.jpg

NY mono

I love this too

2 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Agree, my introduction into jazz, with the very few italian pressing of Impulse! and a weekly, and cheap, serie of Jazz Giants (I Grandi del Jazz) sold in Newspapers kiosks.

Oh yes, italian LPs were very much on my buying list. I have a lot of those Lineatre Series, and the Kings of Jazz (for example: Here is Miles Davis at his rare of all rarest performances), they were cheap so I could afford them with my weekly pocket money, and great music ! 

On 2/9/2020 at 3:31 AM, sidewinder said:

I hope that isn’t the one I remember visiting. It was in an old building in a hip cluster of shops and I had the feeling that it had been a running concern for many years. The owner was European I recall and he had some nice SABAs on display. I picked up the Sadi ‘Ensadinado’ there and also the Neil Ardley ‘Greek Variations’ Aussie version, which was at a very reasonable price.

There was also a store I visited further out in a more suburban location which was megabucks but offered genuine rarities, mainly in the classic rock idiom.

Outnumbered by you fancy Brinkmann guys - old traditional fart here running sprung mattress Linn deck with Naim. No bass and treble controls in this household. :D

sidewinder, your description reminds me of Licorice Pie Records, though they're relative latecomers (opened in 2002 or so). 

Here's a (not) definitive guide that mentions them with a photo of the shop front

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/melbourne-best-record-shops-guide/

Used to frequent Greville Records (also in trendy Prahran) quite a lot, as well.

I do miss the record stores of yesterday, both for the music and staff but can't say I care much for the newer, hip stores that have sprung up all over Melbourne. They remind me of how much I miss the real record stores.

The outer suburban store you mentioned, could it have been Dixons? I do remember lots of rare goodies, both vinyl and cd, especially classic rock. I still go there occasionally. They had an excellent store at Camberwell, but that unfortunately closed down.

Edited by Marzz

10 minutes ago, Marzz said:

can't say I care much for the newer, hip stores that have sprung up all over Melbourne

In general, I agree. The only one I visit occasionally is Dutch Vinyl in Abbotsford. They also sell excellent inner and outer LP sleeves. Recently bought a new "Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel" CD box set from them for a fair price. Quality Records in Malvern is closing, which is a shame. They were my local source of Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure.

20 hours ago, Misterioso said:

In general, I agree. The only one I visit occasionally is Dutch Vinyl in Abbotsford. They also sell excellent inner and outer LP sleeves. Recently bought a new "Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel" CD box set from them for a fair price. Quality Records in Malvern is closing, which is a shame. They were my local source of Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure.

Do Dutch Vinyl sell cds? I haven't gone there thinking they were vinyl only - I no longer buy vinyl. Well, I did bring home a few last year just because they were cheap and in excellent condition. I already had these on CD and so didn't, um, need them, but... 

records.jpg

Edited by Marzz

7 hours ago, Marzz said:

sidewinder, your description reminds me of Licorice Pie Records, though they're relative latecomers (opened in 2002 or so). 

Here's a (not) definitive guide that mentions them with a photo of the shop front

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/melbourne-best-record-shops-guide/

Used to frequent Greville Records (also in trendy Prahran) quite a lot, as well.

I do miss the record stores of yesterday, both for the music and staff but can't say I care much for the newer, hip stores that have sprung up all over Melbourne. They remind me of how much I miss the real record stores.

The outer suburban store you mentioned, could it have been Dixons? I do remember lots of rare goodies, both vinyl and cd, especially classic rock. I still go there occasionally. They had an excellent store at Camberwell, but that unfortunately closed down.

I think it was Licorice Pie Records. With a name that daft, who can forget it ! 

Camberwell rings a bell as well so quite possibly that other store was Dixons. I remember that they had a very nice copy of Elmo Hope’s ‘Sounds From Rikers Island’ but it was very pricey.

Edited by sidewinder

A wonderful treasure , purchased in the 70´s when I was just discovering that wonderful music done by Bird, Dizzy, Bud Powell......

The first half of the record is this three great "gennulmen of modern music" (sic: Symphony Sid). 

When Sid asks Bird what they´ll do first and Bird says "Blue´n Boogie", Symphony Sid makes the odd remark "you say you WILL! Wasn´t it made with Dexter some years ago ?".

That was typical jive talk of that period. 

Great also the  one track "Groovin´High" with the Milt Buckner Trio, probably the only time when Bird recorded with an organ trio.

And not to forget the nice set from 1953 Bird on plastic alto with John Lewis, Curley Russell and Kenny Clark plus Candido on the last tune "Broadway".

A wonderful journey into the past......

Download (1).jpg

On 2/13/2020 at 11:04 PM, sidewinder said:

I think it was Licorice Pie Records. With a name that daft, who can forget it ! 

Camberwell rings a bell as well so quite possibly that other store was Dixons. I remember that they had a very nice copy of Elmo Hope’s ‘Sounds From Rikers Island’ but it was very pricey.

oops, I forgot to add that the outer suburbs store is in Blackburn - don't know if it matters, but just in case. And they're still in business.

Edited by Marzz