• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-10193541-1493172308-8096.jpeg.jpg

R-10193541-1493172868-8140.jpeg.jpg

Reiner - Iron City, not Windy City. Blue Label, not Red Seal. SURPRISE!!!

The debut recording? It says so.

My ignorance, to be sure, but I was totally unaware of this record until finding it last weekend. You bet I snapped it up, and for less than a fin. Not in the best of conditions to be sure, but those old Masterwork LPs were built for the long haul. Not matter what the noise, the music always comes out on top, loud and (more or less) clear.

It's on a few off-brand "historical label" CDs but that's it? That's a shame.

Since RCA & Columbia are all the same company now, we COULD have both on a single release, and then history, as well as music, would be well-served.

Oh well.

R-10193541-1493172301-8026.jpeg.jpgR-10193541-1493172321-9327.jpeg.jpg

13 hours ago, Michael said:

Currently spinning side one of "Spring" by Anthony Williams. Picked up this stereo copy last Friday at an amazing estate sale at a loft in downtown Pittsburgh.  There were over 2000 LPs individually priced for sale.  I'll start a thread elsewhere shortly.

a very good album !

R-6159338-1412544700-8857.jpeg.jpg

recent pick up. such a wonderful line-up. The music is interesting and the pressing is immaculate. Bought off the strength of Sabir Mateen, Salim Washington and Alex Harding. Never heard of David Durrah but quite enjoyed his playing. 

Edited by jcam_44

On 1.3.2020 at 11:07 PM, sidewinder said:

fried-bananas.jpg

I really like the tune. Based on "It could happen to you" . It´s interesting how this tune Expresses completely different moods depending wether you Play it as a slow ballad (It could happen to you) or as a brisk medium tempo (Fried Bananas). 

It´s strange but the very best Version of Fried Bananas, I mean Maybe one of the best Dex solos I ever heard is not on an LP of his own, but on that huge Montreux Summit (CBS All Stars 1977 ). Besides some grossly overproduced tunes that try to capture everything from straight ahead to funk, there is one Combo feature for Dexter, playing "Fried Bananas" and it really knocked me out..... never heard Dexter play better. 

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I really like the tune. Based on "It could happen to you" . It´s interesting how this tune Expresses completely different moods depending wether you Play it as a slow ballad (It could happen to you) or as a brisk medium tempo (Fried Bananas). 

It´s strange but the very best Version of Fried Bananas, I mean Maybe one of the best Dex solos I ever heard is not on an LP of his own, but on that huge Montreux Summit (CBS All Stars 1977 ). Besides some grossly overproduced tunes that try to capture everything from straight ahead to funk, there is one Combo feature for Dexter, playing "Fried Bananas" and it really knocked me out..... never heard Dexter play better. 

The ‘Fried Bananas’ on side 1 of this LP is very good, Dexter is in good form. My favourite version is probably on the ‘Sophisticated Giant’ LP though. Bought that one as soon as it came out, around 1980.

Earlier, it was 'Soul Bag' by Mongo Santamaria, then Sonny Boy Williamson "King Biscuit Time" on Arhoolie. 

Now I guess I am going to put on "Sophisticated Giant" next.    Picked up a nice copy for a couple bucks recently at an estate sale.  Ten boxes of vinyl and about 20 vinyl buyers and I was sixth in line so had to decide which one to go from the ones unoccuppied.  The one I picked had the Dexter, a Monk, In a Silent Way, a couple of Gil Scott-Heron's and a Nathan Davis lp, "If."  Also got a couple nice Bill Wither lps.  I think I picked the right box.

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The ‘Fried Bananas’ on side 1 of this LP is very good, Dexter is in good form. My favourite version is probably on the ‘Sophisticated Giant’ LP though. Bought that one as soon as it came out, around 1980.

I also have the "Sophisticated Giant" LP but somehow it got less spinning on my turntable. The most spinning got "Manhattan Symphony", I think I purchased "Manhattan Symphony" and "Great Encounters" on the same time when I heard Dexter in March 1980, that´s exactly 40 years ago ! We had a Festival "Vienna Jazz Spring" and the schedule was Sam Rivers, Johnny Griffin, Chet Baker, Max Roach, Sun Ra, McCoy Tyner and Dexter Gordon. It was 3 days and on each day we went to the record store to buy "what we had heard". My  "Horo Records" Sun Ra LPs are from that time, Johnny Griffin´s "Return to Griffin" etc. Chet Baker the CTI records….etc...… 

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Included also on the Mosaic Select Carmell Jones CDs. There was a UK original LP issue on Vogue as well, plus later Affinity reissue I think.

Yep, though compared to most Pacific Jazz records, it has only 9 different edition according to discogs here

Edited by porcy62