• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lesser known album of Mingus from 1965 , a year when he did not record as frequently as in 1964. This is the quintet with Charles McPherson, Lonnie Hillyer , Jakie Byard and Dannie Richmond. 

Great version of "So long Eric", a fantastic ballad medley and the funny "Cocktails for Two". 

Download (7).jpg

On 10/03/2020 at 4:47 PM, Gheorghe said:

A lesser known album of Mingus from 1965 , a year when he did not record as frequently as in 1964. This is the quintet with Charles McPherson, Lonnie Hillyer , Jakie Byard and Dannie Richmond. 

Great version of "So long Eric", a fantastic ballad medley and the funny "Cocktails for Two". 

Download (7).jpg

Is that the Charles Mingus Records version or a reissue?

R-7814554-1449341819-9665.jpeg.jpg

Spinning this one on Esquire Records. Side 1 has Jai and Kai. Side 2 Bennie Green with strings. Good stuff !

Noticed that the Bennie Green sides were recorded in Chicago - which explains John Malachi on piano. Sonics excellent.

Edited by sidewinder

16 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Is that the Charles Mingus Records version or a reissue?

R-7814554-1449341819-9665.jpeg.jpg

Spinning this one on Esquire Records. Side 1 has Jai and Kai. Side 2 Bennie Green with strings. Good stuff !

Noticed that the Bennie Green sides were recorded in Chicago - which explains John Malachi on piano. Sonics excellent.

Reissue as much as I know was only on a Mosaic Box (CDs)

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

20161202_ed56f1.jpg

Japanese Sony. Always good to spin the vinyl of this one.

oh yes, I have the same. I remember I was the first in school who purchased it. All have listened to "Aghartha" and were "imitating" Miles´ wah wah trumpet sound. And after I had purchased Pangeea some insider told me that "Dark Magus" ist the best. I eventually bought Dark Magus also.

At the time of release only ‘Agharta’ was readily available in the shops over here and ‘Pangaea’ and ‘Magus’ were mythic Japanese beasts. In fact the first time I heard ‘Pangaea’ was on a cutout North American cassette for my car. These days I have them all on vinyl and CD. :)

Talking of Miles - that documentary on TV last night was pretty good, some new to me home movie footage from Corky McCoy. Well worth catching !