Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, sidewinder said:

At the time of release only ‘Agharta’ was readily available in the shops over here and ‘Pangaea’ and ‘Magus’ were mythic Japanese beasts.

Same here, and it stayed that way for a good while.

31 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Same here, and it stayed that way for a good while.

If I remember right, the regular record shops didn´t have it, they only had Agharta, as you said. There were some hard core jazz buffs at that time. i was just a young kid and tried to get as much infos as I could and when some older, weird looking "electric Miles nerds" were tellin me things like "Aghartha....yeah you on the right trip, kid, BUT HAVE YOU LISTENED TO PANGAEA (or Dark Magus) that was a completley unknown land for me. 

Then I discovered we had a very small and fancy jazz records shop "Red Octopus" and they had all those Japan Imports at high prices. I had to work hard to be good at school to get more pocket money from my dad so I could purchase those two Japan imports. By the way, my "In Concert" 1972 is also a japan import from that time. Needless to say I got some "upgrade" among school buddys , we made parties were they came by to my place to listen together to Pangeaa, it was such a beautiful time....

IIRC, Pangea was released in Japan more or less contemporaneously (i.e, within a year's span) with Agharta. Dark Magus didn't come out in Japan until after the hiatus (not yet "retirement") hwas underway. Definitely not released close to the time it was recorded. Liebman was still on the band.

Yeah, here's the dates: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Magus

One interesting thing about Agharta is that they play a different program than the usual set list. On Pangaea it starts with that fast funk riff in Eb like on the 1974 Dark Magus and all the 1973 performances that I have heard from some sources (Vienna, Berlin, Montreux). On Aghartha they start with a medium funk in Bb and they also feature the bossa "Maisha" which is from the studio take from "Get Up with it". And one unexpected thing on Agharta is the straight ahead walking section on side C, I think......

I remember listening on my tiny transistor radio and earpiece to a French station in Normandy playing one full side of ‘Agharta’ in fade in, fade out, back in the day. It was Summer so the tropospheric scatter across the Channel was working. I think the side they played was ‘Theme From Jack Johnson’. :D

The only thing that made me aware of ‘Pangaea’ and ‘Magus’ back in the day, probably 1977, was a late-lamented Melody Maker article by either Richard Williams or Chris Welch saying how brilliant they were. Very frustrating !

At the time, the only store over here that might have stocked these would have been Collets. Mole wasn’t yet open.

Edited by sidewinder

R-11657725-1520165045-4905.jpeg.jpg

Shirley Scott with Stanley Turrentine - The Dedication Series / Vol. 3: The Great Live Sessions (Impulse, 1978)
Music originally released as Queen of the Organ -- plus a second LP of bonus cuts from the same 1964 gig.

shirley-scott21.jpg?w=768&h=425&crop=1

Edited by HutchFan

Chico Hamilton recorded the Ellington Suite twice. First in August 1958 (with Eric Dolphy), again in January 1959 (with different musicians). The first recording stayed unissued for years.

a) Pacific Jazz / World Pacific Records WP 1258 - Chico Hamilton Quintet " Ellington Suite" - rec. 1959

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

b) Pacific Jazz 7243 5 24567 2 7 - Chico Hamilton with Eric Dolphy " The Original Ellington Suite" - rec. 1958
Featuring
Eric Dolpy *(fl, cl, as) / Nathan Gershman (cello) / John Pisano (g) / Hal Gaylor (b) / Chico Hamilton (dr)
* Flute on tracks 2, 4, 7, 9 - clarinet on tracks 6, 8

[IMG]

[IMG]

Last edited: 43 minutes ago

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

More Turrentine:

R-3417781-1362941598-9249.jpeg.jpg

More Rainbow Series goodness, every bit as good or better than some stuff that was issued at the time (see the album of ST with Less McCann upthread), Alfred apparently though about issuing part of this along with part of another unissued session with Blue Mitchell and Herbie Hancock from the same period - maybe Blue Note should do exact recreations of some of these woulda/coulda/should've beens?  Must say I do prefer the rendition of "Can't Buy Me Love" from wife Shirley's live date, also pictured upthread.