Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

It never was reissued on CD. Quincy Jones arrangements, great sound, though a tad on the commercial side, musically, like Quincy's LPs of the time.

See, that's how it goes, Watkins played in Quincy's bands, Quincy got his a record date where the product would be conceivably market-friendly(ish), and everybody got paid, no doubt, as well as some profile. Basic business, survival in the system at hand.

No, it does not serve art in the least. But it's not supposed to.

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

It never was reissued on CD. Quincy Jones arrangements, great sound, though a tad on the commercial side, musically, like Quincy's LPs of the time.

Somewhat incredibly it [French Horns for My Lady] is on iTunes and Spotify.  Now whether the right people are being credited/reimbursed, that I do not know... 

But it is definitely worth a stream tonight...

R-2440946-1475912017-7582.jpeg.jpg

49 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Big Miller, Revelations and the Blues (Columbia) Image result for Big Miller Revelations and the blues

I have that and his other Columbia album on CD - nice stuff, great accompanists.

51 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Image result for Herbie MannMiddle East

Herbie Mann, Impressions of the Middle East (Atlantic)

Still have that LP. My first encounter with Turkish music, and with Roy Ayers, who had one of the greatest vibes sounds and grooviest playing conceptions ever.

6 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Image result for Howard Rumsey Lighthouse all stars double or nothin

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All Stars with Lee Morgan, Benny Golson and Wynton Kelly, Double or Nothin' (Liberty)

It looks like the mono LP has 2 more tracks than the stereo version, "Celedia" & "Wildwood". For a Fresh Sounds CD, they managed to dig up another track, "Bye Bye Blues", that must've been on some compilation over the years.

On 22.3.2020 at 2:46 PM, kh1958 said:

My mono LP has eight tracks. Oddly, Howard Rumsey does not play on the record--notes say so he could man the control room.

My  Liberty LPR 3045 [FSR reissue 1984] has also 8 tracks. Red Mitchell is the bass player. Rumsey wrote the liner notes.

Cover says" Lighthouse Series Vol one.

Vol two is  Liberty LRP 3051 " Tenors Head-On  with Bill Perkins & Richie Kamuca

Vol three is Liberty LRP 3064 " Drummin' The Blues with Max Roach & Stan Levey

The label Contemporary has also issued recordings  in a series "Lighthouse ". Have to review my stock for this one.

38127142ah.jpg

38127146eo.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
typos

41 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

My  Liberty LPR 3045 [FSR reissue 1984] has also 8 tracks. Red Mitchell is the bass player. Rumsey wrote the liner notes.

Cover says" Lighthouse Series Vol. one. What is Vol. 2?

The LP lists Wilfred Middlebrooks as the bassist on three of the tracks, Red Mitchell on the other five.