What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now:

R-2687479-1475093895-3621.png.jpg

LP 1 - originally released as Bags Meets Wes on Riverside

Oh yes, Wes with George Shearing. I still regret that I sold it when I was Young. I had purchased it a few months before, but then I was too much into more Avantgarde stuff like Dolphy and Ornette and so on, that due to lack of Money I sold it . Really sad, since I think the original George Shearing with the Montgomery Brothers is OOP. Then, during that time Maybe I was a "Snob" and it sounded to "polished" to me.....

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, bresna said:

Because of this, I found these really cool recollections about Lem: http://www.crj-online.org/v2/CRJ-LemWinchester.php

Lem Winchester and The Ramsey Lewis Trio perform " A Tribute To Clifford Brown" - rec.October 1958 - Engineers: Malcolm Chisholm & Douglas Brand

38151676js.jpg

38151677fm.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks for the inspiration porcy62.  Starting my listening day with the HMV Mono

R-8459446-1462034389-4782.jpeg.jpg

For some obscure reason I never met a nice mono original in my life, I have a stereo german audiophile reissue, Speaker Corner, as my listening copy, and the expanded cd version of course.

Edited by porcy62

2 hours ago, porcy62 said:

For some obscure reason I never met a nice mono original in my life, I have a stereo german audiophile reissue, Speaker Corner, as my listening copy, and the expanded cd version of course.

I really like the HMV issues of Trane’s Impulse catalog. I’ll have about half a dozen, all monos and all sound and feel lovely. As I understand it these were made from copy tapes sent to the UK. The ALS UK copy was used for the 2CD issue of ALS.

They’d probably survived better because they hadn’t been repeatedly used for reissue after reissue. Ultimately it doesn’t matter as the music on A Love Supreme sucks you in totally such that audio geekery becomes inconsequential...

44 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

According to Bill Birch’s book this lineup was at Free Trade Hall, Manchester in March 1960. Wonder if this was recorded there?

No doubt BillF was present. :cool:

Sadly, not. I could put it down to my absence from Manchester during the Easter university vacation, but I'm afraid it's more likely to have been the result of my shunning "West Coast" jazz in my youthful ignorance. :(