What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

50 minutes ago, Clunky said:

I really like the HMV issues of Trane’s Impulse catalog. I’ll have about half a dozen, all monos and all sound and feel lovely. As I understand it these were made from copy tapes sent to the UK. The ALS UK copy was used for the 2CD issue of ALS.

In Italy there's no such things as a real used jazz records bins, just cheap reissues, mostly collections. I bought my originals from US ages ago, so I never met HMV records. The 2CD reissue of ALS sounds fair IMO.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, BillF said:

Sadly, not. I could put it down to my absence from Manchester during the Easter university vacation, but I'm afraid it's more likely to have been the result of my shunning "West Coast" jazz in my youthful ignorance. :(

Rare lapse there, Bill ! :D

13 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

In Italy there's no such things as a real used jazz records bins, just cheap reissues, mostly collections. I bought my originals from US ages ago, so I never met HMV records. The 2CD reissue of ALS sounds fair IMO.

The HMVs used to be quite a common site in used bins and not expensive over here porcy, at least up to a few years ago. The last one I got was a mono ‘Crescent’ a few years ago and I think it was £15. Sadly, inflation has now kicked in..:(

Edited by sidewinder

10 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

The HMVs used to be quite a common site in used bins and not expensive over here porcy, at least up to a few years ago. The last one I got was a mono ‘Crescent’ a few years ago and I think it was £15.

Yeah, we pay the price for being the edge of the Empire, but we got lots of cheap operas box sets.:D

24 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

According to Bill Birch’s book this lineup was at Free Trade Hall, Manchester in March 1960. Wonder if this was recorded there?

No doubt BillF was present. 

The liner notes do not mention Manchester. Writer was Frank Gibson. But this LP is the only 'live" documentation of this group available.

Edited by jazzcorner

Just now, sidewinder said:

I hate opera ! :D

I do as well! Some times ago I bet a ridicolous amount of money on ebay for the Wagner's Ring, Decca/Solti, something like 20 € or less, I was expecting I'd lost it, instead I won so I had to spend much more for shipping these 19 LP box set. I tried to listen to it, I really did it, but definitely it's not my cup of tea. The only opera I really love it's Mozart's Don Giovanni.

R-3418989-1329673861.jpeg.jpg

Liberty issue. Lovely !

32 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

The liner notes do not mention Manchester. Writer was Frank Gibson. But this LP is the only 'live" documentation of this group available.

Looks like it was recorded at Free Trade Hall, Manchester.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/west-coast-jazz-in-england-live-at-the-free-trade-hall-march-12-1960-mw0002104129

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I hate opera ! :D

It always struck me that jazz and opera were poles apart (and I certainly don't dig both), but didn't I read somewhere that someone phoned Ben Webster (or was it Hawkins) and could hear he was listening to opera?

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

I quite like some opera Donizetti, Mozart etc

Actually I enjoyed the operas at theatre especially Mozart and Rossini I found boring listening to the whole opera at home without the acting, Don Giovanni a part.

Edited by porcy62

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Thanks for the Into. Excellent research

BTW Manchester (as you mentioned it):

Have here a Kenton Tribute from the times when BBC did  such broadchsts of  such events via Internet. Have recorded it and made my own CD cover. Here is this event. These are the drafts before I cut them for the plastic shell.  The music is really phantastic.

W.

38175583wc.jpg

38175591ji.jpg

38175584oe.jpg

10 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Thanks for the Into. Excellent research

BTW Manchester (as you mentioned it):

Have here a Kenton Tribute from the times when BBC did  such broadchsts of  such events via Internet. Have recorded it and made my own CD cover. Here is this event. These are the drafts before I cut them for the plastic shell.  The music is really phantastic.

W.

38175583wc.jpg

38175591ji.jpg

38175584oe.jpg

Yes, RNCM used to have a great jazz policy, but since the retirement last year of Mike Hall who headed that part of the college's activities, I haven't found any gigs I want to go to.:(

https://www.rncm.ac.uk/people/mike-hall/

Mike is now leading a great little band called Boplicity, which I saw at Malcom Frazer's house on March 15th, just before the great lockdown. Probably the last jazz gig for a long time. :(

Here's a clip from that gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkxbXp_iPps

Edited by BillF

8 hours ago, BillF said:

Yes, RNCM used to have a great jazz policy, but since the retirement last year of Mike Hall who headed that part of the college's activities, I haven't found any gigs I want to go to.

Here is a concert from the Free Trade Hall, Manchester [Info  for the location from Lord's] - rec. April 1959.

Did you see this concert? Must have been a great event acc. Steve Voce's notes.

38178284oj.jpg

38178285xq.jpg

38178283yf.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
typos

16 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Here is a concert from the Free Trade Hall, Manchester [Info  for the location from Lord's] - rec. April 1959.

Did you see this concert? Must have been a great event acc. Steve Voce's notes.

No, I didn't get to see Herman till the 70s, but it was in the Free Trade Hall.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I actually saw Woody at Ronnie Scotts circa 1980 when either the BBC or ITV were broadcasting half an hour of it live ! Apparently the back of my head was visible during the broadcast but I never saw it then or since.

The back of my head is visible on the Boplicity clip posted 10 hrs ago. :unsure:

Miles Davis ————Dark Magus———-( Sony Japan) 1977 issue/reissue.

had this for years but on coming back I’m stuck how dark it is, albeit not as black as Pangea etc...All the traces of funk / groove which made Bitches Brew so hummable are gone.