What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

25 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Long story shortened - Rudy's wife was ill and he was only doing sessions for Muse and CTI, no new clients. He agreed  to "audition" me so I tagged along with Fred Seibert (producer) to the session. At the end of the session Rudy pulled out his appointment book and asked me when I wanted to record. On August 7. 1978 we recorded Roscoe Mitchell's L-R-G.

I was wondering... that gorgeous picture of the percussion set-up on the inside of the gatefold of the album surely wasn't taken at Van Gelder's?

Then I noticed it was only the piece "L-R-G", not the whole album, that was recorded there. Anyway, it's a great album and it sounds terrific.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Long story shortened - Rudy's wife was ill and he was only doing sessions for Muse and CTI, no new clients. He agreed  to "audition" me so I tagged along with Fred Seibert (producer) to the session. At the end of the session Rudy pulled out his appointment book and asked me when I wanted to record. On August 7. 1978 we recorded Roscoe Mitchell's L-R-G.

Wow.  That's important music history right there.

I still think you should write a memoir, Chuck.  ... Or, at the very least, allow someone to conduct an extended interview (over multiple days), to capture your experiences as oral history.  ... I suppose you could even "interview yourself," Glenn Gould-style.  

It would be a valuable addition to the valuable contributions that you've already made to jazz as a producer and label owner.

Seriously.

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Hi-STORY hands down ....

19 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Wow.  That's important music history right there.

I still think you should write a memoir, Chuck.  ... Or, at the very least, allow someone to conduct an extended interview (over multiple days), to capture your experiences as oral history.  ... I suppose you could even "interview yourself," Glenn Gould-style.  

It would be a valuable addition to the valuable contributions that you've already made to jazz as a producer and label owner.

Seriously.

Maybe it could be done with Larry Kart. 

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

Nonesuch dit at least one other Unicorn record, maybe two? Horenstien, both, iirc?

I know that Nonesuch licensed & released Horenstein's recordings of Mahler's First and Third.  There may have been more.  His Mahler Sixth also?

Horenstein's M3 may be his most famous recording, but I think his M1 is even better. :tup 

EDIT: 
Just checked discogs.  Nonesuch also released Horenstein's M6 with the Stockholm PO.  I've never heard that one.

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Don’t have that particular one but that was a great series. My favourites - Mingus, Hubbard and Kirk.

Yes!  :tup  I'm also partial to the Milt Jackson volume.

Earlier:

R-7068680-1432983560-7424.jpeg.jpg

Buddy DeFranco - Free Sail (Choice, 1974)
I enjoyed this LP so much I played it twice.

NP:

R-5472307-1580255908-5576.jpeg.jpg

Bucky Pizzarelli - Nightwings (Flying Dutchman, 1975)
Joe Venuti sits in on half the cuts

R.I.P. Bucky Pizzarelli