What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

R-7806517-1449172298-3350.jpeg.jpg

Man, this is interesting music that I feel I could never get inside of, no matter how hard I tried. I think I'd want to, too, But unless my brain rewires at some point, it's always going to be the "look at" type love, not the "get in" type.

Still, love of any sort is as welcome as it is necessary,

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, kh1958 said:

David Newman and James Clay, The Sound of the Wide Open Spaces (Riverside)Image result for david Newman james clay wide open spacesImage result for Definitive jazz scene voluume 2

The Definitive Jazz Scene, volume 2 (Impulse)

The Sound of Wide Open Spaces is a nice album, but do locals in Dallas still play in that distinctive Texas Tenor style or have they become just like everyone else?

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

... do locals in Dallas still play in that distinctive Texas Tenor style or have they become just like everyone else?

Can you be more specific as to whom you're asking about? Dallas is no longer an isolated pocket of native tongues...not that it ever was...Houston had a say in the languages as well, as did...ah. never mind?

I guess what you really want to find out is if Dallas' African-American tenor players still have that "accent" in their playing, and the answer is, well, a few do, a few more try to, and just as many think they might, and some just don't care about that, they're hustling for the same gigs everybody else is.

It's a different world everywhere these days.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

Can you be more specific as to whom you're asking about? Dallas is no longer an isolated pocket of native tongues...not that it ever was...Houston had a say in the languages as well, as did...ah. never mind?

I guess what you really want to find out is if Dallas' African-American tenor players still have that "accent" in their playing, and the answer is, well, a few do, a few more try to, and just as many think they might, and some just don't care about that, they're hustling for the same gigs everybody else is.

It's a different world everywhere these days.

Thanks, kinda what I suspected but good to  hear from someone on the scene.

4 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

The Sound of Wide Open Spaces is a nice album, but do locals in Dallas still play in that distinctive Texas Tenor style or have they become just like everyone else?

Well, there isn't exactly a booming jazz scene here. But I would say that the two best tenor saxophonists in the area that I'm familiar with are Rachella Parks Washington (in Fort Worth) and Shelley Carrol (in Dallas), and both sound like Texas tenors to me (especially Rachella).

Cannonball Adderley - WHY AM I TREATED SO BAD?

Picked it up last summer in a garage sale in Bristol,RI. Paid a cool dollar. This was the only jazz album they had. Also bought there what I believe to be a genuine Persian rug, for $3. Anyone knows antique rugs ?

It’s an excellent, even, quality album from 1967, wish it were recorded better. CD version has 2 bonus tracks. Haven’t heard them. It still has shrink wrap plastic with a discounted price sticker, cover is hole-punched, the punch hole is inside the plastic, which wasn’t punctured. Hole- punched in the Capitol warehouse, and sold to a discounter, and wrapped later?

FireShot Capture 051 - iCloud Photos - www.icloud.com

Edited by Dmitry

Just finished: 80th Anniversary version of Art Blakey - Indestructible. Now playing: David Schnitter - Goliath (Muse)

David Schnitter - Goliath (1978, Vinyl) | Discogs

Two things... First, WTF is up with this cover? Am I missing something here? Is he supposed to be praying to his saxophone to help save him from those sheep? Second, why does bass sound so terrible from this short period of time in Jazz? McBee's bass sound is so whiny. It's like a big mosquito buzzing around my head.