• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arrived in the mail this evening:

R-1146705-1345752210-1081.jpeg.jpg

Sounds great. :D 

6 hours ago, bresna said:

Now playing: David Schnitter - Goliath (Muse)

David Schnitter - Goliath (1978, Vinyl) | Discogs

Two things... First, WTF is up with this cover? Am I missing something here? Is he supposed to be praying to his saxophone to help save him from those sheep? 

I suppose he's playing with the idea of praying over the Christ-child in a manger scene.

But, yeah, it is strange.  ... Especially considering the title of the album.  He's got the whole David & Goliath thing going with that.  But that doesn't really tie in with the "Away in a manger, no crib for a bed" angle.  Schnitter's mixing up his biblical allusions in all sorts of ways.

Edited by HutchFan

Eric Kloss - Essence (Muse). I swear that Buster Williams is playing an electric bass but it could just be the way they recorded it. Pianist Mickey Tucker is listed with "appears courtesy of Bluenote Records". Tucker never recorded as a leader for Blue Note Records that I am aware of. Was there a Bluenote Records as well? :) 

R-747604-1483171677-8498.jpeg.jpg

As I listen to this, I am reminded that I'm not a huge Marvin "Hannibal" Peterson fan. :)

1 hour ago, Pim said:

There is a thread for that too ;)

Thanks for the Info. A search brought up several. Which one do have in mind?

;-]]

2 hours ago, bresna said:

Eric Kloss - Essence (Muse). I swear that Buster Williams is playing an electric bass but it could just be the way they recorded it. Pianist Mickey Tucker is listed with "appears courtesy of Bluenote Records". Tucker never recorded as a leader for Blue Note Records that I am aware of. Was there a Bluenote Records as well? :) 

Here is another one on Muse

38258351pv.jpg

38258352ft.jpg

2 hours ago, bresna said:

Eric Kloss - Essence (Muse). I swear that Buster Williams is playing an electric bass but it could just be the way they recorded it. Pianist Mickey Tucker is listed with "appears courtesy of Bluenote Records". Tucker never recorded as a leader for Blue Note Records that I am aware of.

Tucker was the co-leader of the New Heritage Keyboard Quartet (with Sir Roland Hanna). They released one LP for Blue Note in 1973.  I bet that's why there's a BN credit for Tucker on Kloss' LP.  

I think Bodies' Warmth is O.K.  But Kloss made another record with Barry Miles, Together (Muse, 1976), that's much better, IMO.  It's more stripped down, unvarnished.  A duo LP.   

Edited by HutchFan

6 hours ago, jazzcorner said:
Volume 3 only issued in Japan (Promo)

Blue Note DY-5805-1 - The Jazz Messengers At Cafe Bohemia Vol. 3 - rec. November 23, 1955 - Engineer: Rudy Van Gelder

[IMG]

When you see this cover all blown up, you can kinda see why some people thought that there might have been something racially motivated here. It was a very weird choice to break apart "messengers" by separating it the way it was done on this cover.

Strangely enough, I never noticed it until Aric brought it up here many years ago. Now I see it every time.

55 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ha -- that's wild. I mean, now that you say it, I see it, but never would have thought to look.

I know! I bet I looked at this cover a hundred times and never saw it and then when Aric brought it up... it might've even been on the Blue Note forums... I was like, "What the heck?" Now I can't un-see it. :)

1 hour ago, bresna said:

When you see this cover all blown up, you can kinda see why some people thought that there might have been something racially motivated here. It was a very weird choice to break apart "messengers" by separating it the way it was done on this cover.

Strangely enough, I never noticed it until Aric brought it up here many years ago. Now I see it every time

There exist 3 volumes  (#1, #2, #3) with the same pictures. The interpretation above is ridiculous and artificial. There was never to my knowledge such a kind of discussion among the serious jazzfans. But it is obvious that you can bring up the strangest theories and you will find some followers. To think Blue Note has such Ideas when issueing LP's  is simply sick.

38266941mt.jpg

38266943qv.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
scans added

21 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

There exist 3 volumes  (#1, #2, #3) with the same pictures. The interpretation above is ridiculous and artificial. There was never to my knowledge such a kind of discussion among the serious jazzfans. But it is obvious that you can bring up the strangest theories and you will find some followers. To think Blue Note has such Ideas when issueing LP's  is simply sick.

It's totally stupid. Of course they were not designed with this in mind (these are the reissue covers anyway). But I guess I see what Aric was talking about, even if it's not true.