What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

4 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

There was also a Prestige 2-fer with these tracks. You might look for this one.

Johnson,J.J.         Four Trombones...The DEBUT recordings     1953          Prestige(2)  2-4097

Thank you !

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

How is it?

Nicely recorded.

From Russell's own tapes of three different live radio broadcasts. Two different bass and piano players across the sessions.

Music swings the roof off. Any Russell fan is going to like it

Edited by mjazzg

2 hours ago, bresna said:

After the head and the soprano sax solo, there's a piano solo. Near the middle of the piano solo, there are clicks and crackles that eventually break up a bit and then there's even a bit of bleed through in the left channel just as the horns start back up. The bleed through almost sounds like tape echo but I doubt that would have slipped through... unless you hear it too. :) I can see a shiny line in the track itself, which is why I'm thinking that it's underfill. I even tried wet wiping the record, which I don't much these days and it didn't help.

I had some issues too with their reissues, not the box set, the single ones, got a replacement from Jazzmen after several emails, at first they pretended I send back the faulty copy at my expense, after some emails I sent an audio file with the problems and I got the replacement, not really the best customer service I experienced.

BTW great music I am going to listen to it right now.

Edited by porcy62

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (WB). I actually have a couple of versions of this. I have a beat-up old original that somehow found it's way into my collection, a Nautilus "Super Disc" version and the one that's playing - a remaster/cut by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray from 2011 Record Store Day. It actually sounds very good.

R-2832092-1473752964-5083.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, bresna said:

It's too bad that Jazzman Records isn't backing their product. Are you saying that I'd be wasting my time trying to get them to get me another pressing, especially now that this particular title appears to out of stock?

Don't know, but after three of four emails and the audio files, I got a free replacemet, though added to another shipping so they didn't pay the shipping, only the plain record. My first copy had a couple of tracks frankly unlistenable.

Edited by porcy62

Various Artists - Eight Trails, One Path (Three Lobed Recordings). A 2011 Record Store Day release. The LP is made like a matchbook, which is kinda cool if kinda impractical. The music has an acoustic folksy/country vibe. Here's the "matchbook look". Yes, the top half folds down and tucks into the edge below like a matchbook. The sleeve is stapled in place and doesn't come out.

R-3555280-1338324787-9311.jpeg.jpg

I'd never heard of one of these guys before I picked this up but I do play it every now & then. You can "You Tube" all eight tracks here: