What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

On 5/7/2020 at 0:16 PM, bresna said:

I took a picture. The underfill is visible about an inch in from the edge right where that bright circle is.(the bright circle is a simple reflection, not underfill :) ) Actually, looking at this picture now, I can see several spots of underfill, but those others spots aren't as audible. The other spots are those dots. They may have been simple ticks that I just missed as being "normal" for vinyl.

It's too bad that Jazzman Records isn't backing their product. Are you saying that I'd be wasting my time trying to get them to get me another pressing, especially now that this particular title appears to out of stock?

Image may contain: table and indoor

Mine doesn't look like that; there are a few light poots on my copy, nothing outside of the normal range of vinyl. I did notice a blip of distortion near the end of the track that may be a pressing fault, not enough to make me try to haggle for a replacement. I guess with close to 6000 LPs I have become used to vinyl imperfections. I was a little more bummed on the low-quality scans they used for cover art. But whatever, not gonna fork over the kind of money an original goes for, so...

20 hours ago, bresna said:

Various Artists - Eight Trails, One Path (Three Lobed Recordings). A 2011 Record Store Day release. The LP is made like a matchbook, which is kinda cool if kinda impractical. The music has an acoustic folksy/country vibe. Here's the "matchbook look". Yes, the top half folds down and tucks into the edge below like a matchbook. The sleeve is stapled in place and doesn't come out.

R-3555280-1338324787-9311.jpeg.jpg

I'd never heard of one of these guys before I picked this up but I do play it every now & then. You can "You Tube" all eight tracks here:

great music, great pressing. Lee Ranaldo is probably the most well-known, having been a member of Sonic Youth.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it's a UK release. Had to get it when I found it. Actually, I like that title better, though the overall cover design looks a bit "low-budget"-y. 

5 minutes ago, bresna said:

In the many years I've been flipping through records, I've never even seen that version of "Orgasm". When did it come out? UK release?

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

👍👍👍!!!

Usually I share your enthusiasm for Albums we know both, but in this case I´m not so pleased with this record. The bass is barely audible and it´s a date from 1970 with a quite tired Mingus, the band is great but what misses is the cutting Edge of Mingus himself, his strong bass and his former fantastic bass solos. 

I have this record, it´s written it´s from 1969 in Amsterdam but I believe it was in 1970 since in 69 Mingus still was not touring , at least that´s what I believe. 

I´ve heard much better versions of "Orange" like on the 1964 tour......

Sorry to say this, but it´s not among my favourite Mingus Albums, I spinned it once, twice and that was it......

41 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Usually I share your enthusiasm for Albums we know both, but in this case I´m not so pleased with this record. The bass is barely audible and it´s a date from 1970 with a quite tired Mingus, the band is great but what misses is the cutting Edge of Mingus himself, his strong bass and his former fantastic bass solos. 

I have this record, it´s written it´s from 1969 in Amsterdam but I believe it was in 1970 since in 69 Mingus still was not touring , at least that´s what I believe. 

I´ve heard much better versions of "Orange" like on the 1964 tour......

Sorry to say this, but it´s not among my favourite Mingus Albums, I spinned it once, twice and that was it......

Get your point, nevertheless the late 60`'s/early 70`s Mingus Band was outstanding and until today being rather underappreciated .... Mingus was getting tired as soloist, but not as leader ....

46 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Get your point, nevertheless the late 60`'s/early 70`s Mingus Band was outstanding and until today being rather underappreciated .... Mingus was getting tired as soloist, but not as leader ....

Thank you. How About the two America LPs from 1970 Blue Bird and Pyticantropus Erectus ? They are also underappreciated but I think they are quite fine and as you say, the band is great. Maybe the trumpet Player is not my first choice, but Charles McPherson, Bobby Jones, Jakie Byard and Dannie is great. 

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Thank you. How About the two America LPs from 1970 Blue Bird and Pyticantropus Erectus ? They are also underappreciated but I think they are quite fine and as you say, the band is great. Maybe the trumpet Player is not my first choice, but Charles McPherson, Bobby Jones, Jakie Byard and Dannie is great. 

Those two LPs are favorites of mine, reissued in a double LP set in the U.S.Image result for Charles mingus reincarnatio of a lovebird

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

those America LPs are better than Statements, in my opinion. I have Statements on Joker; Japanese pressing. Jones was something else, really love the Enja in particular.

On 2020-05-09 at 4:26 PM, clifford_thornton said:

probably came out in the early 70s; that's the version I have as well.

BTW, did 'Orgasm' actually come out in the US in 1969? The liners on Parabolic state that it (the UK release) was the first release anywhere, but I have no idea what year it was released. It does really look like a 70s cover design. 

Edited by Daniel A

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

BTW, did 'Orgasm' actually come out in the US in 1969? The liners on Parabolic state that it (the UK release) was the first release anywhere, but I have no idea what year it was released. It does really look like a 70s cover design. 

I have a copy of the US original which was released in early 1969. However, all US copies I've ever seen were promo's and/or had a cut-out hole in the cover. I think it was withdrawn by Verve before its official release.

The UK and the Japanese reissue, both marketed by Polydor, were released in late 1973. 

9 hours ago, corto maltese said:

I have a copy of the US original which was released in early 1969. However, all US copies I've ever seen were promo's and/or had a cut-out hole in the cover. I think it was withdrawn by Verve before its official release.

The UK and the Japanese reissue, both marketed by Polydor, were released in late 1973. 

Thanks for the information!