Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Very fine 1955 recording of Donald Byrd with Frank Foster, Hank Jones, young Paul Chambers only 20 years old, and senior Kenny Clarke. 

Download (5).jpg

Chambers was pretty much young on everything - sadly only made it to 33.

Edited by jlhoots

3 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

hampton hawes is excellent on rhodes- blues for walls and northern windows.  this is not "throwaway fusion"- these are very thoughtful albums and hawes has a good rhodes sound

Agreed ! 

I love Hampton Hawes on the Gene Ammons Montreux 1973 Album, very fine rhodes Sound. He really could hold his own on Fender Rhodes and is underrated. 

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Herbie Hancock "The Prisoner", Blue Note white label promo with Van Gelder stamp (apparently for the UK market).

Prisoner.jpeg.jpg

Interesting - I have that UK issue in a blue/white Liberty. A short-lived phenomenon.

Didn’t realise they were on Mortimer St.

Edited by sidewinder

44 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting - I have that UK issue in a blue/white Liberty. A short-lived phenomenon.

I am curious to know what sets it apart from a US release. My copy is in US printed sleeve, so only the sticker reveals it as a UK release. Were these pressed in UK (though the VAN GELDER stamp maybe suggests they were not)? 

Edited by Daniel A

From my recollection the sleeve is US but the vinyl indicates made in the UK on the label. A bit like the German Liberty LPs of the vintage. I’ll have to check but I think it is ‘Van Gelder’ in the runout.

These UK issues were definitely very short lived. In 1970 the economy was still doing OK. The industrial unrest and power cuts of 1972 onwards would have decimated budgets allocated to UK Blue Note shenanigans. Major own-goal. :rolleyes:

Edited by sidewinder

The Huckle-buck & Robbins' Nest - A Buck Clayton Jam Session (Columbia CL-548). I do like these jam sessions a lot. This music has slowly become one of my favorite Mosaic box sets. As great as these LP cuts are, hearing the unedited tunes with the full alternate takes on the Mosaic set is even better.

Buck Clayton - Huckle-buck and Robbins' Nest - Amazon.com Music

On a Buck Clayton kick... Buck Clayton with Buddy Tate - Buck & Buddy Blow The Blues (Stereo Swingville SV 2030). This is an unusual LP for the times as it has a regular purple Prestige/Swingville label but a textured cover, which I've not seen on an older Prestige release. As for the music, I do dig those blues, so what's not to like here?

Buck & Buddy Blow the Blues - Wikipedia

Clifford Brown's Study In Brown, Nippon Phonogram pressing from 1971.

This was one of the first jazz albums I heard at home when growing up, so I know it well and there is obviously some nostalgia involved. However, I haven't listened to it for some years, and I am probably hearing some things today that were beyond me in the past. 

The interplay in the band is just superb, and to me, Harold Land is the ideal partner for Brownie. Great tunes, too; the perfect hard bop album. 

13 hours ago, bresna said:

The Huckle-buck & Robbins' Nest - A Buck Clayton Jam Session (Columbia CL-548). I do like these jam sessions a lot. This music has slowly become one of my favorite Mosaic box sets. As great as these LP cuts are, hearing the unedited tunes with the full alternate takes on the Mosaic set is even better.

Buck Clayton - Huckle-buck and Robbins' Nest - Amazon.com Music

That Clayton Mosaic is a corker - love the way it captures the 30th St studio ambience. My CD version was obtained from the ‘Horse’s Mouth’ i.e. M. Cuscuna.

Paul Quinchette, Like Who (United Artists)

Bobby Hutcherson, Natural Illusions (Blue Note)Image result for Paul Quinchette lie whoImage result for bobby hutcherson natural illusions

On 6/2/2020 at 11:54 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

hampton hawes is excellent on rhodes- blues for walls and northern windows.  this is not "throwaway fusion"- these are very thoughtful albums and hawes has a good rhodes sound

I rather like the solo album, Universe.