• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Peter Gabriel/Various Artists - Scratch My Back And I'll Scratch Yours (Real World). In concept, this should have been a great album... and it might have been 20 years earlier, when Gabriel was in his prime. Instead, PG's sides are kind of boring. He only seems to be able to sing in one pitch and the tempos all lag, which gives his versions a sameness that takes away from the songwriters' intent. If you don't pay attention, you might miss a song change. They're that similar.

R-5482662-1394504034-4372.jpeg.jpg

QUESTION:

is  R-7233236-1436759130-7006.jpeg.jpgas good as the les strand baldwin records?   Is he as crazy on Hammond as he is on Baldwin.  The Yamaha demonstration record is pretty out there, but so was that instrument.  This one definitely is harder to find than the others, but was wondering if anyone has heard it, thanks

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

2 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

R-4127647-1386795860-9086.jpeg.jpg

New BN Anniversary Series. The cover isn't luxury stuff, but the records is perfect with its Kevin Gray's sound.

BTW First time I listen to this one, now fellow BN fanatics let's start throwin' stones :D

I have a NY USA stereo so I will resist that title. Oh almost forgot - and a ‘Wally’. :excited:  Tempted to check it out !

Edited by sidewinder

3 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

R-4127647-1386795860-9086.jpeg.jpg

New BN Anniversary Series. The cover isn't luxury stuff, but the records is perfect with its Kevin Gray's sound.

BTW First time I listen to this one, now fellow BN fanatics let's start throwin' stones :D

Very nice. This is a great record, as is it's horrible sound quality follow up Turkish Women. 

9 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I have a NY USA stereo so I will resist that title. Oh almost forgot - and a ‘Wally’. :excited:

"Wally" is five letters word in some vinyl clubs in LA, I wouldn't say that word, they are allowed to carry guns over there.

Edited by porcy62

12 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

You wouldn't post it on SH Forum...

BTW Basra is great music, how could I have lived without it until now.

Another one by Pete (LaRocca) Sims to check out his his ‘Swingtime’ on Blue Note. A more recent recording and only on CD I think.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, porcy62 said:

"Wally" is five letters word in some vinyl clubs in LA, I wouldn't say that word, they are allowed to carry guns over there.

Wally Traugott's Blue Note cuts are fine. There's always someone wanting to complain somewhere. I bet the ones complaining are back to the "All Wally LPs are cut with a digital master" stuff. I've talked at length with Ron McMaster about the cutting system there are he says that LPs are not cut digitally unless they are only supplied with a digital master by the label. Blue Note did not do that. They always cut Blue Note LPs with master tapes. Nowadays, that might not be true, as they now store the Blue Note masters at an Iron Mountain facility but back when Wally was cutting, the masters were close by.

FWIW, if you're into Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" at all, the Wally cut is the only cut you should be looking for.

16 minutes ago, bresna said:

Wally Traugott's Blue Note cuts are fine. There's always someone wanting to complain somewhere. I bet the ones complaining are back to the "All Wally LPs are cut with a digital master" stuff. I've talked at length with Ron McMaster about the cutting system there are he says that LPs are not cut digitally unless they are only supplied with a digital master by the label. Blue Note did not do that. They always cut Blue Note LPs with master tapes. Nowadays, that might not be true, as they now store the Blue Note masters at an Iron Mountain facility but back when Wally was cutting, the masters were close by.

FWIW, if you're into Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" at all, the Wally cut is the only cut you should be looking for.

I was joking about RVG fetish, personally I like Wally’s work.

Edited by porcy62

Just now, kh1958 said:

Oddly the LP omits the actual title track.

Damn - now I’ll have to get the CD as well. Typical ! :(

Sounds great on the vinyl though.

9 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Great record; first and only copy I've ever had is a Japanese King stereo pressing bought in the early aughts...

Sure to be good. :tup

9 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Damn - now I’ll have to get the CD as well. Typical ! :(

Sounds great on the vinyl though.

Sure to be good. :tup

Actually, two tracks are omitted--it would have been a three sided LP if complete. The LP does sound great, like being at the Jazz Standard.