What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

On 12/06/2020 at 11:13 PM, optatio said:

38771314ab.jpg

Hazel Scott: Relaxed Piano Moods: Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-1702-2 [1992]

Note: The Nordeutscher Rundfunk in Hamburg has honored Hazel Scott in a one-hour broadcast tonight!                                                                                    Audio: https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/info/sendungen/jazz/Jazz-Special-Hazel-Scott,audio695012.html                                                                                Playlist: https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/info/sendungen/jazz/Titelliste-Jazz-Special-,playlist72878.html

The BBC World Service also recently did a good Hazel Scott bio programme, which can be found via their Sounds app I think.

That Debut session with Mingus and Roach is excellent !

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

That Kenji Mori record is really good.

Totally agree. It had been on my wishlist for a while and when a copy in the US popped up a couple weeks ago I jumped on it. Picked up Tatsuya Nakamura's Rip-Off too just because of combined shipping but haven spun it yet.

Spinning Pete LaRoca's "Basra" off the recently released 80th Anniversary LP. This is a very nice sounding LP. Kevin Gray seems to be able to coax the right sounds out of these master tapes. Side 1 actually has what looks like the right amount of dead wax too. :) Side 2 is back to the typical inch and half of dead wax though.

Basra (album) - Wikipedia

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Spinning Pete LaRoca's "Basra" off the recently released 80th Anniversary LP. This is a very nice sounding LP. Kevin Gray seems to be able to coax the right sounds out of these master tapes. Side 1 actually has what looks like the right amount of dead wax too. :) Side 2 is back to the typical inch and half of dead wax though.

Basra (album) - Wikipedia

Wish they would put that one out in the TP series though (if only for what would be a definitive sleeve). I guess though that they did a MM 2x45 - forgetting that I have that one somewhere. We are spoilt !

R-4366699-1455499367-9374.jpeg.jpg

Jon Hassell - Aka/Darbari/Java: Magic Realism [Editions EG, Japan]

R-1571034-1267738628.jpeg.jpg

Keith & Julie Tippett - CoupleIn Spirit [Editions EG]

R-1791099-1243685681.jpeg.jpg

Charig, Tippett, Winter - Pipedream [Ogun]

R-14829759-1582922195-9863.jpeg.jpg

Grant Green - Nigeria [Blue Note, Tone Poet]

R-11896683-1524361280-4609.jpeg.jpg

Grant Green - Funk In France [Resonance] LP1

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-3927197-1507484598-9814.jpeg.jpg

Dollar Brand/Abdullah Ibrahim - Ode to Duke Ellington (Inner City, originally West Wind)

A powerful tribute.  Very personal, nothing rote about it.

Was listening to that yesterday! Beautiful tribute indeed. The version of In A Sentimental Mood is beautiful and show some signs of the style he played in in his later days.

Edited by Pim