Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a0863735146_16.jpg

Luke Winslow-King - I'm Glad Trouble Don't Last Always.

This was a bandcamp purchase when they waived artist fees. I've spun it twice since getting it yesterday, but the B side 4 times in total. This got me thinking how uncommon it is to enjoy a B side more than an A side, given most albums are constructed to be front heavy, or at least that used to be how you constructed albums.  

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Played that yesterday, very much like it

Are you on commission from the BN Tone Poet dept?  If not, you should be :lol:

Yes, it is very good. Never heard a version of this one with Blakey’s drums so crisp.

The trouble with this series is that buy one, it grows on you then threatens to take over your house like Day of the Triffids. They are not exactly small. :wacko:

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, it is very good. Never heard a version of this one with Blakey’s drums so crisp.

The trouble with this series is that buy one, it grows on you then threatens to take over your house like Day of the Triffids. They are not exactly small. :wacko:

13 here. 

3 hours ago, porcy62 said:

282847021377.jpg

Liberty Pressing, stereo.

I will be doing a UK Liberty vs. Tone Poet check this weekend.

I was going to include the French Pathe Marconi version but think I can safely discount that one from the mix. :)

Grant-Green-Born-To-Be-Blue-album-cover-

Enjoying this one.

5 hours ago, porcy62 said:

71CK5JwR1NL._SS500_.jpg

Anniversary reissue.

Thoughts?

Edited by sidewinder

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Warne Marsh, with Lee Konitz: Jazz Exchange Vol. 1 on Storyville

C6283822-3419-4602-8D31-116A837E0E06.jpeg

I have it too!  

On 6/16/2020 at 9:50 AM, sidewinder said:

ZvndHvrZ6oshqkk1H-xWEghxDJ4N9Sc7NzSpMekq

Another winner in this series.

are you saying definite upgrade from LT series?

On 6/10/2020 at 5:11 AM, sidewinder said:

DrLonnieSmith-AllInMyMind_Cover_FINAL_10

BN Tone Poet

My BN collection is offically not up to date!  You know usu I pass on the new releases, Nora Jones.......this looks, well you know how it looks.....(awseome)

On 6/12/2020 at 8:13 AM, sidewinder said:

Baby-Face-Willette-Face-To-Face-album-co

Tone Poet version. Not the ‘in your face’ excitement or sonic saturation of the DG original version but a bit more detail is apparent. Pretty damn good !

@sidewinder

So are you saying I need it in addition to the classic.  I am very interested.  you say a bit more detail is apparent- how do you mean, in regards to the B3 Organ.-\\\\\\\\\\\\ Guitar?  Yea- B3 on rvg record, i mean these records are to the max. 

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Chewy - point 2: yes. It even sounds a bit better to me than the King Records ‘The Collector’ although a I will have to check on that point. Definitely better than the LT, clearer and with extended range both ends.

point 4: I would definitely give it a try. It is more ‘polite’ than the 47w63rd original but as my original does have a few clicks, the virtues of crisp and clear sound become apparent. My verdict is that it is good to have both. Always nice to have Baby Face on an original !

PS - you definitely also need that Lonnie Smith. :D

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Chewy - point 2: yes. It even sounds a bit better to me than the King Records ‘The Collector’ although a I will have to check on that point. Definitely better than the LT, clearer and with extended range both ends.

point 4: I would definitely give it a try. It is more ‘polite’ than the 47w63rd original but as my original does have a few clicks, the virtues of crisp and clear sound become apparent. My verdict is that it is good to have both. Always nice to have Baby Face on an original !

PS - you definitely also need that Lonnie Smith. :D

Dammit, I forgot I have a King copy of "The Collector". Now I have 3 versions on LP too. I agree that the Tone Poet of "ETC" is much better than the LT LP, as I did a listening comparison when I got. Unfortunately I now add the caveat that my hearing isn't the best days, so take this with a grain of salt, especially if my "winner" ends up have way too much treble, which is what I don't hear as well these days.

I have to say that with the exception of Andrew Hill's "Black Fire" and Lee Morgan's "Cornbread", these Tone Poet LPs sound great. Hill's record has that warbly piano that I just can't get by and the Morgan was not much better than my old Liberty RVG pressing. But the rest, particularly the Kenny Burrell & Lou Donaldson's "Shing-a-Ling", are very good.

I wish they weren't so damn expensive.

And now I have to go get that Lonnie Smith. :)

Yes, the Lonnie Smith sounds really nice. It doesn’t have the vocals but that’s probably good as it helps the ‘flow’.

I will take your advice about ‘Cornbread’. I have that one in NY mono pressing (Liberty era). The only issue with that one, at least on my copy, is the lop-sided guillotine cut used on the cover :rolleyes:. The ‘Black Fire’ I have in NY USA mono and stereo issues so well covered on that one - both sound lovely.

’Mr Shing-a-Ling’ beckons.. Just too bad that the BN shop doesn’t have it.

Also hoping that Joe Harley brings out a 3 LP Lee Morgan ‘Live at the Lighthouse’ per the Hoffman board report/rumour. Or maybe that is wishful thinking ?