• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember sitting in Hal's apartment with the whole crew -- musicians, families, girlfriends, etc. but not Joe Daley himself -- as they reacted to the then brand new album. A high-spirited, rather prickly, touchy gathering.. Joe's contributions did not escape criticism IIRC.

2 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I remember sitting in Hal's apartment with the whole crew -- musicians, families, girlfriends, etc. but not Joe Daley himself -- as they reacted to the then brand new album. 

Where was his apartment then. I later spent time in him and his wife at their home in Lyons circa 1980.

MelosMusik GS 702 - Siegfried Schwan " Guitaristics" - rec. 2000 - Engineer: Gert Markert
German guitarist and composer.
Born August 5, 1940 in Ludwigshafen, mostly known as Sigi Schwab.
Active in jazz and classical music, he also published several books about guitar playing styles.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:
ABC Paramount ABC 186 [Japan 1986] - Quincy Jones " Go West, Man" - rec. 1957 ? -
Featuring different West Coast groups on 3 sessions with different instruments on each session

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Last edited: A moment ago

Pleasant dates, though Quincy did no writing for them. I prefer the alto and tenor-baritone dates to the trumpet one. Good to hear Walter Benton; he didn't get showcased enough. Nice to hear Art Pepper and Benny Carter in tandem.

42 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Pleasant dates, though Quincy did no writing for them.

So I'm thinking, uh-oh, this is going to be one of those alleged records where Quincy Jones takes credit for somebody else's writing, but no, full and proper credit is given right there in plain black and white where nay even semi-literate fool could read it if the wanted to. And the cover says "supervised by", not arranged by! And the liner notes say that he was "commissioned to produce" the record, and then give full credit to who did the actual writing!

DESPICABLE!!!!! :g

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

So I'm thinking, uh-oh, this is going to be one of those alleged records where Quincy Jones takes credit for somebody else's writing, but no, full and proper credit is given right there in plain black and white where nay even semi-literate fool could read it if the wanted to. And the cover says "supervised by", not arranged by! And the liner notes say that he was "commissioned to produce" the record, and then give full credit to who did the actual writing!

DESPICABLE!!!!! :g

I was making no accusation -- merely pointing out that QJ's name should not lead one to think that he did anything but supervise the project, as I assume he honorably did. BTW, the Johnny Mandel who wrote "Keester Parade" strikes again here, coming up with "London Derrierre."

Actually some of the album's originals are IIRC quite nice -- Giuffre's "Dancin' Pants" and "Mariano's "The Oom is Blues" in particular, maybe more. Aside from the sheer quality of the playing, one thing that makes the alto date nice is how distinctive each of the soloists is. One might be hard pressed nowadays to find four guys as specifically themselves and as topnotch as Pepper, Carter, Mariano, and Geller were. In fact, I get the sense that for these guys playing with each other was a rather moving experience (though there was little love, or even respect, lost between Geller and Pepper, Herb having stated more than once that he thought Pepper was very overrated and that he was the much superior player).