• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lamine  Konte, The Kora Of SenegalImage result for Lamine monte kora of senegalImage result for Jazz at the Philharmonic in europeImage result for atilla zoller beyond the horizonImage result for terry Gibbs orchestra swings

Jazz at the Philharmonic in Europe (Dizzy Gillespie, Leo Wright, Stan Getz, J.J. Johnson, Lalo Schifrin) (Verve)

Atilla Zoller Quartet, The Horizon Beyond (Emarcy)

Swingin' with Terry Gibbs and his Orchestra (Emarcy)

Edited by kh1958

2 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

You know what you're getting with the Trammps. 

Damn right!

That's why when that's what you want, nothing else will do, and if that's not what you want, hey, don't blame them or yourself, just don't go there.

Jimmy Ellis!!!! And check it out - two basses live, making the point, built from the bottom up!

The best Disco is Liberation Music. The rest is Enslavement Music, but make no mistake, there is a difference!

1 hour ago, porcy62 said:

Yes, I have two more records of Threadgill Sextet, all excellent.

I agree, that was a great band, all of their albums are worth listening to in depth

meanwhile...

R-14701646-1581090488-7052.jpeg.jpg

Rashied Ali Quintet - First Time Out, Live at Slugs 1967 [Survival Records]

Just finished:

R-1705790-1301962819.jpeg.jpg

Stanley Turrentine - Nightwings (Fantasy, 1977)

IMO, the pairing of Turrentine with Claus Ogerman's arrangements works really well.  Of course, you gotta approach albums like this with ears for music rather than "jazz."  ... I'm enjoying Nightwings so much that I just ordered Turrentine's next collaboration with Ogerman, West Side Highway.

Now:

R-682329-1220489318.jpeg.jpg

Stanley Turrentine - Everybody Come On Out (Fantasy, 1976)

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember I saw this in the 70´s when those double Albums came out. But then I was not ready for it. 

But the two BN Albums Cecil did are great "Unit Structures" and "Conquistador"...….

I mainly got this one back in the day for the “Love For Sale’ album. Great session !

I think I have all of this ‘brown bag’ twofer series apart from the Sam Rivers.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I mainly got this one back in the day for the “Love For Sale’ album. Great session !

I think I have all of this ‘brown bag’ twofer series apart from the Sam Rivers.

The Sam Rivers stuff was great. One disc his great 1967 album and the other a before unissued session with Andrew Hill, wonderful.

46 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

The Sam Rivers stuff was great. One disc his great 1967 album and the other a before unissued session with Andrew Hill, wonderful.

Yeah - It’s all on the Rivers Mosaic and Hill Mosaic Select. Good stuff.

Edited by sidewinder

This album contains 2 interesting groups with Bill Potts on piano playing his own compositions with the leader Freddie Merkle (dr)

a) a 5 piece band
b) a 11 piece band (3 saxes, 5 brass & 3 rhythm) featuring former Woody Herman bandmember Earl Swope (tb) & his brother Rob.

RCA Victor NL-45957 [FSR 1984] - The Freddiy Merkle Group " Jazz Under The Dome" - rec 1957

38958807gl.jpg

38958848kn.jpg

38958808gs.jpg

Collin Wolcott, Grazing Dreams (ECM)Image result for collin walcott grazing dreamsImage result for eberhard weber teh following morningImage result for ralph towner batikImage result for Gary Peacock voice from the pastImage result for steve kuhn non-fictionImage result for ralph towner john abercrombie five years laerImage result for ralph towner diaryImage result for steve kuhn ecstasyImage result for jan garbarek placesImage result for jack dejohnette new directions

Eberhard Weber, The Following Morning (ECM)

Ralph Towner, Eddie Gomez, Jack DeJohnette, Batik (ECM)

Gary Peacock, Voice from the Past (ECM)

Steve Kuhn, Non-Fiction (ECM)

Ralph Towner, John Abercrombie, Five Years Later (ECM)

Ralph Towner, Diary (ECM)

Steve Kuhn, Ecstasy (ECM)

Jan Garbarek, Places (ECM)

Jack DeJohnette, New Directions (ECM)

Edited by kh1958

7 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Collin Wolcott, Grazing Dreams (ECM)Image result for collin walcott grazing dreamsImage result for eberhard weber teh following morningImage result for ralph towner batikImage result for Gary Peacock voice from the pastImage result for steve kuhn non-fictionImage result for ralph towner john abercrombie five years laerImage result for ralph towner diaryImage result for steve kuhn ecstasyImage result for jan garbarek placesImage result for jack dejohnette new directions

Eberhard Weber, The Following Morning (ECM)

Ralph Towner, Eddie Gomez, Jack DeJohnette, Batik (ECM)

Gary Peacock, Voice from the Past (ECM)

Steve Kuhn, Non-Fiction (ECM)

Ralph Towner, John Abercrombie, Five Years Later (ECM)

Ralph Towner, Diary (ECM)

Steve Kuhn, Ecstasy (ECM)

Jan Garbarek, Places (ECM)

Jack DeJohnette, New Directions (ECM)

ECM like Sunday morning (sorry!).

On 7/19/2018 at 4:00 AM, bresna said:

I saw that too. Ben just e-mailed me about the availability. Ordered my copy.

I've wondered about the viability of Newvelle Record's business model. If all it takes is waiting a couple of years and to get a CD version with extra tracks for about 25% of the cost of the Newvelle LP version, I would think many will wait. I can't see them gaining too many more subscriptions now that this is happening.

Now, if they had launched their service with a much more reasonable price, I'd be a subscriber already.

I don't think many of the Newvelle releases have been reissued. Its a shame, I finally got the two Preminger releases after about a year of waiting for them to show on the second hand market, and for reasonable prices, around $40. They are beautifully done records but I wish you didn't have to get 6 LPs to get the 1 LP you may want. I'm still looking for the Jason Palmer release on the second-hand market. They seem to be sticking to their business model though. I was relieved they didn't have anything I really wanted in the 5th season, which is so sad, though if I found the Patrick Zimmerli I'd buy it, I'm not looking for it. They have a New Orleans Collection up for pre-order, 4 LPs for $200. I'm strongly considering it. Irma Thomas/Little Freddie King/Ellis Marsalis/Jon Cleary.