What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

On 7/22/2020 at 6:44 AM, Dan Gould said:

This seems like a pretty obscure LP and discogs indicates never had a CD issue? Strange history to the sessions too, there are three tracks with James Clay that were recorded first week of 1980 and four tracks with Harold Land recorded in April 1986 and the LP was issued in 1987. Cedar and Billy are on all tracks, bass is Dumas with Clay and Buster Williams with Land. No other information on the back.

So how come only three tracks were recorded with Clay and seven years before release? Was there a plan for a James Clay record and he wasn't having a good day? And did they just record enough Land in order to get the record out? It's all very confusing but I am glad to have some more James Clay to enjoy.

Also confusing: Discogs shows a normal full label on the Clay side but mine is a plain Contemporary label, no info on the tunes on the side.

https://www.discogs.com/Billy-Higgins-Bridgework/master/1545388

Higgins.jpg

I got your answer Dan - the label appears to have the Contemporary label printed up beforehand, but the inner album info appears to be a hand stamp. So someone forgot to stamp yours. But I have to add that you getting me to look at this has me noticing that the Side 1 info is very faint. It's look like whoever was stamping these labels was a bit of a slacker.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, bresna said:

I got your answer Dan - the label appears to have the Contemporary label printed up beforehand, but the inner album info appears to be a hand stamp. So someone forgot to stamp yours. But I have to add that you getting me to look at this has me noticing that the Side 1 info is very faint. It's look like whoever was stamping these labels was a bit of a slacker.

He was definitely a slacker because you're stamp is faint while mine is A) very dark and B) non-existent.

:g

The Concert Jazz Band* - Gerry Mulligan Presents A Concert In Jazz ...

listening to mulligan concert band for the 1st time- so its pianoless like his prior famous combos, but big band, i was suprised they arent his arangements though  are the other concert band lps his arrangements- he was known as a big band arranger i was suprised its like gary mcfarland and george russell not mulligan.  not completely sold on it as a keeper yet but its ok, do we all like this lp?  

maybe a scan of the mosaic notes would or a summary will give me a greater appriciation?

maybe its a keeper but its not like grabbing right out at me.  You know lately ive really got into anything with Mel Lewis.  He knows how to do it

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-5167715-1439386216-3708.jpeg.jpg

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Gypsy Folk Tales (Roulette, 1977)
Young Bobby Watson tearing it up . . .

Always found the sound of that LP a bit on the thin side - it was issued here in the UK by Pye.

A welcome return to recording by Blakey though, back in the day.