• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next up:

R-1411952-1449860523-6489.jpeg.jpg

Stanley Turrentine - West Side Highway (Fantasy, 1978)
Arranged by Claus Ogerman.  This was Turrentine's second collaboration with Ogerman, after Nightwings (Fantasy, 1977).  These are two of the strongest LPs in Turrentine's run on Fantasy, IMO. 

"The Dixie Sound of Jack Teagarden" Roulette stereo LP. I need to find the mono of this one of these days as the Roulette mono LPs I have are fantastic. (This stereo is really good).

I had this still lying around since I last played it and just seeing it made me pick it up. Don Goldie is so good on trumpet here, and Jack both does the tailgate thing perfectly and also is a back-seat driver. . . always such a great sound and feel! And Don Ewell on piano. . . man that cat could play.

066.jpg

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

McCoy Tyner - Time for Tyner (Blue Note, 1969)
with Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis, and Freddie Waits

For whatever reason, I haven't listened to this LP in years.  I'd forgotten how good it is.

:tup:tup

15 hours ago, sidewinder said:

R-6758069-1426006835-6693.jpeg.jpg

Here is the "brother" LP

39097859df.jpg

6 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

:tup:tup

Here is the "brother" LP

39097859df.jpg

Looks like a CD ! :D

R-2517718-1526780605-8462.jpeg.jpg

The 2LP version from this ‘40th Anniversary’ set. It definitely benefitted from a VPI clean. Sonics would pass muster against an original issue (it is from the same analogue master as the original, apparently).

Edited by sidewinder

A couple of new arrivals...

R-2531827-1289192510.jpeg.jpg

Dennis Budimir - Sprung Free! [Revelation]

A Second Coming - Dennis Budimir | Paris Jazz Corner

Dennis Budimir - A Second Coming [Revelation]

now wondering if I should get the other Revelations

And onto an old favourite

R-2132099-1558314819-2823.jpeg.jpg  

The Chico Hamilton Quintet - With Strings attached [Warner Bros]

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

R-11105130-1509924392-3473.jpeg.jpg

Joseph Jarman, Anthony Braxton - Together Alone [Delmark]

R-2012638-1269974736.jpeg.jpg

Lol Coxhill, Andrea Centazzo, Giancarlo Schiaffini - Moot [Ictus]

What are these like? I've never heard of the existence of either, but the players look great.

Edited by Rabshakeh

7 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

What are these like? I've never heard of the existence of either, but the players look great.

Well, I'm never particularly confident in describing music especially when it was only my second listen to 'Together Alone' and my first to 'Moot' and I know there are other board members a lot more qualified to speak about the Delmark and probably the Ictus.  I was struck by how apparent it was that both came from different improvising 'traditions' but how there was a connection between them. 

The Jarman/Braxton is is some ways denser than I'd imagined - they both play a number of different instruments and switch within tracks, there's some electronics on one track too. Lots of musical information to absorb but maybe not as much silence as I'd suspected. Some great flute playing from Jarman, contrabass and piano from AB. It's definitely an album of two distinct musical characters coming together sometimes harmoniously sometimes in a degree of oppostion. The sides are split between one of Jarman compositions and one of Braxton's which may go some way to highlight the contrasts.  I think it's going to reveal much more with more listens and can't quite believe it's taken me this long to acquire it, missed along the way of collecting AACM recordings. If you like early AACM I can't see you not enjoying this.

Initial impressions of 'Moot' is that it's top notch European improv, carefully chosen contributions from all the players leading to a revealed logic in the interactions. Nothing very loud or raucous, some swingingly unswinging trombone interjections, lovely percussion shades and Coxhill as pin-sharp as ever.  I'm looking forward to getting to know this more.

In the same batch, i purchased 'Clangs' by Centazzo and Lacy, that's for later after some gardening...or just sitting in the garden thinking about doing it

15 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks for the very detailed descriptions. An interesting set. Clangs is good too - it will be a nice post gardening treat.

A pleasure.  Gardening and 'Clangs' sidelined by a very good Byron Wallen stream from Ronnies, someone who I think is under recorded and possibly underappreciated, at least by me