• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

All album covers should look like this. 

:D  

Looking at the cover, you might expect the music to be a "righteous blast of full-on funk" à la Alphonse Mouzon -- but it isn't.  Not at all.

NP:

R-2545769-1331134035.jpeg.jpg

On my short-list of favorite soul jazz records.

Edited by HutchFan

R-5042176-1391449861-1840.jpeg.jpg

Superb.

I wish Mosaic would do something with Fischer's Revelation recordings.  Talk about music that deserves a wider hearing!

Mosaic scooped up Fischer's early Pacific Jazz releases, but his stuff on Revelation is on an entirely different level.

It's likely not at all financially feasible.  Oh well.  I'll leave the bean counting to others and continue to hope.

R-1183111-1254568734.jpeg.jpg

Freddie Hubbard - Outpost (Enja, 1981)
Excellent. 

And the audio fidelity is outstanding too.  IMO, lots of Enja LPs from right around this time sound really, really good. ... Along with Outpost, I'm thinking of records like Chet Baker's Peace and David Friedman's Of the Wind's Eye.  A last gasp of all-analog, German-pressed vinyl before the digital revolution?

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-3178422-1336276894.jpeg.jpg

"Groove" Holmes - Shippin' Out (Muse, 1978)
This record has been in heavy rotation at my house.  ...  I remember The Magnificent Goldberg recommending it highly.  Good call! 

I saw this and said, "There is no way MG recommended a David Schnitter record" but a google search shows he did:

He plays some extremely UN-Coltranish stuff on Groove Holmes' "Shippin' out" on Muse; the best of Grooves excellent Muse albums.

MG

Guess I will keep an eye out for this if you both like it and Schnitter isn't being his usual Schnitter self (guess I should be thankful he saved me from purchasing quite a few Blakey records from the 70s - can you tell I am not a fan? :)

the thing that holds this record back is that on the surface its an Earl Klugh lp, its very similar style to his albums of the time and of course its the man himself.  But the soundtrack director writes all the songs, not Earl Klugh, that is what seperates it from really being an earl klugh album, its more like a session he was on, that still sounds like his style, but you know if he wrote the album it would of been better

Just Between Friends by Earl Klugh on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

11 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Nice to see that this is now getting a spin. 

Yes, thank you. I'd not heard it for a while (I'd forgotten it is cut at 45rpm which led to a moment's confusion). Marsh really standing out on this listen (at correct speed)