Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, optatio said:

I've bought a lot of LPs at Mole Jazz and I fondly remember Ed Dipple's written greetings ...

Ed and I were at Leeds University together where he cut his jazz entrepreneur's teeth by getting Ronnie Scott to bring Freddie Hubbard to the campus.

Later we lived in the same house in Manchester after which our paths diverged, I staying in Manchester while he, as you know, moved to the London area.

4 minutes ago, BillF said:

Ed and I were at Leeds University together where he cut his jazz entrepreneur's teeth by getting Ronnie Scott to bring Freddie Hubbard to the campus.

Later we lived in the same house in Manchester after which our paths diverged, I staying in Manchester while he, as you know, moved to the London area.

Wow !

Somewhere, I’ve still got what I think was his very first mail order mailshot, sent out from his home several years before the Mole Jazz shop even started. If I remember correctly, I bought a second hand copy of the Miles Davis ‘Green Haze’ twofer from it. Will have to check but I think it lists some Tubby Hayes Fontana’s at £2 a shot !

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Wow !

Somewhere, I’ve still got what I think was his very first mail order mailshot, sent out from his home several years before the Mole Jazz shop even started. 

His record selling started when his ever-increasing collection got so big that it fell off the end of the sideboard in the Manchester house on which it was displayed. :lol:

The date would be about 1967.

1 hour ago, BillF said:

His record selling started when his ever-increasing collection got so big that it fell off the end of the sideboard in the Manchester house on which it was displayed. :lol:

The date would be about 1967.

Things got worse. That radio programme said the most of his vinyl had outgrown the house and was stored in a garage somewhere in outer London. Then there’s also the stuff that was in Mole’s basement (inner inner sanctum).

Edited by sidewinder

Yes - it has been for sale on Bandcamp.

I had my suspicions on source as the John Thurlow book mentioned that the tapes were believed destroyed. This LP sounds to be from a master though - impeccable sound. Good news !

Cadillac have done a great job - flipback laminated sleeve  as well.:tup to them !

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I had my suspicions on source as the John Thurlow book mentioned that the tapes were believed destroyed. This LP sounds to be from a master though - impeccable sound. Good news !

Cadillac have done a great job - flipback laminated sleeve  as well.:tup to them !

Mine arrived too, yet to partake but heartened by your reports. "Free Mrs Beckett" :D

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Thanks for this, ordered....although it'll take over a fortnight to reach Scotland.....border quarantine perhaps?

26 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Thanks for this, ordered....although it'll take over a fortnight to reach Scotland.....border quarantine perhaps?

Within 2 days to my location. Two weeks - ridiculous !

They did mention by email today that the first press was about to run out and second press lined up. Suspect that is the reason.

Edited by sidewinder