Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-12332244-1533103074-2133.mpo.jpg

‘Paz at Chichester’ - this copy by the British fusion band of the 70s/80s signed by Dick Crouch, Ray Warleigh, Geoff Castle and the rest of the band. Plus by one other musician who I never associated with Paz but who gigged with them in the early 80s - Alan Holdsworth.

Edited by sidewinder

a tape of Paz with Holdsworth was recently issued by JazzInBritain, it's download only / name your own price (and today is bandcamp friday)... played it once and liked what I heard but it was also my first exposure to Paz so I'm not really in a position to judge...

https://jazzinbritain1.bandcamp.com/album/live-in-london-81-the-ron-mathewson-tapes-vol-2

Edited by Niko

Just now, Niko said:

a tape of Paz with Holdsworth was recently issued by JazzInBritain, it's download only (and today is bandcamp friday)... played it once and liked what I heard but it was also my first exposure to Paz so I'm not really in a position to judge...

https://jazzinbritain1.bandcamp.com/album/live-in-london-81-the-ron-mathewson-tapes-vol-2

Thanks for that - and had only just noticed it on that site.

I only today worked out that that signature was Holdsworth’s!  Quite thrilled with the discovery - LP was bought by chance some years ago and they have all signed it on the back. I saw Paz at Ronnie Scotts around 1981 so Holdsworth might have been in the band but can’t remember. I do remember Crouch, Castle and Warleigh at that gig though. They were actually support act to one of the US visitors.

Bobby Hutcherson, The Kicker (Blue Note/Tone Poet) (rather wonderful sound)

The Real Earl Hines (Focus)

Buddy Rich, The Last Blues Album, volume 1 (Groove Merchant) (stellar small group outing with Jimmy McGriff, George Freeman, Illinois Jacquet, Kenny Barron, Bob Cranshaw)Image result for Bobby Hutcherson the kckerImage result for the real earl hines focusImage result for Buddy Rich the last blues album volume 1

Generic rebuttal to praise of Tone Poet LP sound (cut and paste as appropriate):

The recording was shelved by Alfred Lion because it was an early experimental digital recording and hence cannot possibly sound good on vinyl.

Rudy was on vacation that day and the session was recorded by his 12 year old nephew.

Someone left a beer can in the piano which can be distinctly heard by golden ear audiophiles at the 4:33 point on Bedouin and may be mistaken for a piano warble.

Buddy Rich does not sound right on Blue Note.

Edited by kh1958

8 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Charlie Parker, Jazz at Midnite (Blue Note)

Machito, Asia Minor (Forum/Roulette)Image result for Charlie Parker jazz at midnight blue noteImage result for Machito asia minorImage result for Cannonball Adderley them dirty blues

Cannonball Adderley, Them Dirty Blues (Riverside)

How do you like the Bird?  Comments on performance, sound quality.  Still a little pricey on ebay ...

51 minutes ago, Eric said:

How do you like the Bird?  Comments on performance, sound quality.  Still a little pricey on ebay ...

The performance is great. Hyperspeed Bird. Sound is decent. Probably not worth it if you have the CD The Washington Concerts.

Edited by kh1958