• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now spinning on my 'table:

R-4016233-1426548990-6585.jpeg.jpg

The Pee Wee Russell Quartet - New Groove (Columbia, 1963)
Another LP from a recent dollar bin haul.  It was covered in dust when I found it, but -- after a couple spins on the record vac -- it sounds great.  The audio fidelity of the mono LP really is astonishing -- especially since I'd only heard the music previously via YouTube.  (There aren't any production credits on the cover.  Fred Plaut, I wonder?) ... Music-wise, it's not typical Pee Wee.  The quartet is more reminiscent of a Mulligan piano-less group -- or Jimmy Giuffre with Bob Brookmeyer -- than anything you'd normally associate with Pee Wee.  But it's always fun to hear Russell's clarinet -- in any setting.  ;) 

12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Another LP from a recent dollar bin haul.  It was covered in dust when I found it, but -- after a couple spins on the record vac -- it sounds great.  The audio fidelity of the mono LP really is astonishing -- especially since I'd only heard the music previously via YouTube.  (There aren't any production credits on the cover.  Fred Plaut, I wonder?) ... Music-wise, it's not typical Pee Wee.  The quartet is more reminiscent of a Mulligan piano-less group -- or Jimmy Giuffre with Bob Brookmeyer -- than anything you'd normally associate with Pee Wee.  But it's always fun to hear Russell's clarinet -- in any setting.  ;) 

I’ve got an old mono pressing of that one and I agree, it sounds great.

This one from a past RSD. Good stuff.

71kJfrnhyFL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Lords listed the following + some more tracks as seen on your cover. The reissue has a different title obviously

'Round midnight
[R7128-15] Pee Wee Russell
New Groove: Pee Wee Russell Quartet:
Marshall Brown (v-tb,b-tp) Pee Wee Russell (cl) Russell George (b) Ron Lundberg (d)
New York, November 12, 1962
CO76992    Taps Miller    (unissued)
CO76993    'Round midnight         -
CO76994    My mother's eyes         -
CO76995    Pee Wee's blues    Col CL1985, CBS (E)SBPG62242, I Grandi del Jazz
        (It)GDJ-07, Time-Life STL-J17, Solar (Sp)4569938
        [CD]
CO76996    Moten swing    (unissued)

Edited by jazzcorner