What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

avant-pop1.jpg

German ECM

Great memories of seeing this band in performance around the time of this release and they played some of the material - truly a group of all stars. Sadly, quite a few no longer with us (Lester, Malachi Thompson, Philip Wilson) but good that Frank Lacy, Steve Turre and others are still very much active musically.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/5/2020 at 0:07 PM, kh1958 said:

Bobby Hutcherson, The Kicker (Blue Note/Tone Poet) (rather wonderful sound)

Image result for Bobby Hutcherson the kcker

Generic rebuttal to praise of Tone Poet LP sound (cut and paste as appropriate):

The recording was shelved by Alfred Lion because it was an early experimental digital recording and hence cannot possibly sound good on vinyl.

Rudy was on vacation that day and the session was recorded by his 12 year old nephew.

Someone left a beer can in the piano which can be distinctly heard by golden ear audiophiles at the 4:33 point on Bedouin and may be mistaken for a piano warble.

Buddy Rich does not sound right on Blue Note.

I am finally spinning this Tone Poet LP and I think I get a feeling for why this was shelved. The first track, "Mirrors", has a very odd-sounding stereo sound. Basically it's two extremely separated mono channels, with vibes, piano, bass and drums in the right channel and Joe Henderson's tenor isolated in the left channel. The sound is wonderful but it sounds weird. The second track, "For Duke P.", in contrast, sounds much more "normal".

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

The only other example I can think of off the top of my head is Third World by Abdul Al Hannan, which uses them prominently.

Othello Molineaux is the only other steel drum player I know who plays jazz. He's worked with Jaco and Monty Alexander.

Edited by HutchFan

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

The only other example I can think of off the top of my head is Third World by Abdul Al Hannan, which uses them prominently.

That sounds very interesting.  Just checked Discogs :excited:

I'm also surprised they don't pop up on UK Jazz recordings more.  I think Orphy Robinson may have played them in the past

On 17/09/2020 at 3:38 PM, jazzbo said:

Sun Ra "Solar Myth Approach, Vols. 1 and 2" Corbett v. Dempsey 2 cd set, disc 1

R-2858779-1574705892-5420.jpeg.jpg

Hard to describe how transformed this release is by the new mastering. . . it never sounded half this good before.

Damn. I saw this in a shop today and passed it up in a "rational" moment.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

That sounds very interesting.  Just checked Discogs :excited:

Yep. I have it on my wantlist, but purely out of interest. Seeing that price tag would keep anyone grounded. 

This evening's work:

Clinkers by Steve Lacy (Hat Hut 1978)

The Heatin' System by Jack McDuff (Cadet 1972) 

R-1672955-1305426452.jpeg (2).jpg

R-1230464-1281663795.jpeg (1).jpg

Then: 

Constellation by Sonny Stitt (Cobblestone 1972). 

Fly or Die by Jaimie Branch (International Anthem 2017), with Tomeka Reid in full flight. 

R-2260174-1584896704-1094.jpeg-1 (1).jpg

R-10212529-1514501558-7823.jpeg (1).jpg

Edited by Rabshakeh

8 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Oh, I haven't listened to that one in a long time. Seem to recall it was unusually pop-ish in style (Stevie Wonder tunes etc). 

No, it was the real stuff. If Stevie Wonder was used it was transformed. Top class Jones/Lewis album IMHO.

47 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Oh, I haven't listened to that one in a long time. Seem to recall it was unusually pop-ish in style (Stevie Wonder tunes etc). 

36 minutes ago, BillF said:

No, it was the real stuff. If Stevie Wonder was used it was transformed. Top class Jones/Lewis album IMHO.

I guess I was thinking of this:

It's good, though!