Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Roland Kirk and Al Hibbler, A Meeting of the Times (Atlantic)Image result for roland kirk and al hibbler meeting ofth e times

Bizarrely, a new  CD of this album is available from amazon in the range of $191-$217. The Collectibles version, oddly paired with Ornette, is a mere $118.

Edited by kh1958

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Oh, I haven't listened to that one in a long time. Seem to recall it was unusually pop-ish in style (Stevie Wonder tunes etc). 

I think this one is a really excellent - and under-rated - Thad & Mel album.

The Motown stuff on it works out pretty well I think. Surprised just how good the vinyl sounds - I think this one is a UK pressing, done by CBS.

The back cover with Thad, Mel and the older guys such as Cliff Heather wearing kaftans is a bit of a ‘period piece’ though !

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

Bizarrely, a new  CD of this album is available from amazon in the range of $191-$217. The Collectibles version, oddly paired with Ornette, is a mere $118.

I have the Warner Jazz SHM-CD which sounds really nice. This is a great session! A meeting of the minds indeed.

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I think this one is a really excellent - and under-rated - Thad & Mel album.

The Motown stuff on it works out pretty well I think. Surprised just how good the vinyl sounds - I think this one is a UK pressing, done by CBS.

The back cover with Thad, Mel and the older guys such as Cliff Heather wearing kaftans is a bit of a ‘period piece’ though !

SuiteForPops_ThadJonesMelLewis.jpg

Bought it at much the same time as this, which is also excellent.

Two great sessions: 

On side one you have Roy Eldridge with Flip Phillips, really great, and I Always said that Roy Eldridge was so much ahead of his time, his Generation. He went as far as playing the strictly boppish "Ornithology" Theme on the Outing of "How High the Moon". And "Flip and Jazz" is really hot stuff.

The second side is famous mostly for the participation of the great Fats Navarro, but all the others , Allen Eager, Charlie Ventura, Ralph Burns, Bill Harris, Chubby Jackson and Buddy Rich with his great solo on "Sweet Georgia Brown" are also great. 

I purchased this "America" LP in 1978 and still like it very much.

Unbenannt.png

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Two great sessions: 

On side one you have Roy Eldridge with Flip Phillips, really great, and I Always said that Roy Eldridge was so much ahead of his time, his Generation. He went as far as playing the strictly boppish "Ornithology" Theme on the Outing of "How High the Moon". And "Flip and Jazz" is really hot stuff.

The second side is famous mostly for the participation of the great Fats Navarro, but all the others , Allen Eager, Charlie Ventura, Ralph Burns, Bill Harris, Chubby Jackson and Buddy Rich with his great solo on "Sweet Georgia Brown" are also great. 

I purchased this "America" LP in 1978 and still like it very much.

Unbenannt.png

Roy, Fats Eager - outstanding!!!

Terumasa Hino--------Journey to air---------(Love/Ultra Vybe)

Pretty wild workout. I'll need to give this a few more listens to establish if the star studded band actually make it airborne. I know nothing about this reissue program other than it being part of RSD2020. For anyone interested pressing seems very good but then again I've got nothing to compare it to. Printing quality of the sleeve is adequate , about the same standard of the Blue Note 80 LP series. 

19 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Pretty wild workout. I'll need to give this a few more listens to establish if the star studded band actually make it airborne. I know nothing about this reissue program other than it being part of RSD2020. For anyone interested pressing seems very good but then again I've got nothing to compare it to. Printing quality of the sleeve is adequate , about the same standard of the Blue Note 80 LP series. 

Interesting - I saw it advertised in the forthcoming RSD batch, along with another Hino reissue. Not my thing but good to see this stuff is at least being reissued.

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

Good one -- have the original silkscreen private press that Hino did for his "Love" imprint. 

9 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now listening to this LP, courtesy of a generous fellow board member:

R-5301284-1390004029-3784.jpeg.jpg

Nick Brignola - New York Bound (Interplay, 1979)

Thanks again Dan!

Hope you enjoy it ... I did keep a burn for myself just didn't feel like I had to hang on to the vinyl so I passed it on ...

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Listening to this LP again:

R-2403805-1474409275-7545.jpeg.jpg

Such moving music, shimmering with Life.

The CvsD reissue is very good with a slightly different personnel. Also has some steel drum action.

I bought the CD version. 360 Degree Experience is the title

Edited by jlhoots

All of the Beaver Harris leader dates are really good.  A good number have steel drums.

Meanwhile, I decided it was time to plug some Gato sized  holes in the collection. Today's arrival

R-9230106-1479867154-9505.jpeg.jpg

Gato Barbieri - Chapter One: Latin America [Impulse]

I knew some of this from a CD compilation. It's good to have it in its entirety.

Chapter Two's in the post. So until that arrives it's this

R-633896-1141245242.jpeg.jpg

Oliver Nelson - Swiss Suite [Flying Dutchman], featuring Gato Barbieri & Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Meanwhile, I decided it was time to plug some Gato sized  holes in the collection. Today's arrival

R-9230106-1479867154-9505.jpeg.jpg

Gato Barbieri - Chapter One: Latin America [Impulse]

I knew some of this from a CD compilation. It's good to have it in its entirety.

Such a great record!

Gato had an astounding run in the first half of the 70s with Flying Dutchman and Impulse.  I love all of them!  :g