• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Milford Graves - Percussion Ensemble.

R-1451172-1226737105.jpeg.jpg

Easily my favourite solo percussion album from before the later 70s. 

Sonny's Time Now - Sunny Murray

R-1532940-1226565163.jpeg.jpg

A great first side: one of the best Ayler records out there, albeit it's under Sunny's name. I've never been all that happy with the second side. 

Clifford Jordan - In The World.

R-4444957-1434442803-3210.jpeg.jpg

This is one of my favourite straight ahead dates (if you can call it that) from the 70s. It has a real epic quality to it, with great compositions and good solos from a cracking group of musicians. In hindsight it seems crazy the sort of star quality that could be called upon at the time for a record that I believe sunk more or less without a trace commercially.

Sadly, I don't have the original sleeve but instead a rather dopey Polydor version. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

Motion by Lee Konitz. 

R-712333-1470095707-5643.jpeg.jpg

This is certainly one that I prefer in the original vinyl mix, where Lee and Sonny Dallas are right up front.  The digital versions correct that and bring the drums forward, but at the same time makes it harder to follow. Konitz is beautiful throughout, and I love Elvin on "All of Me" in particular. 

15 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Milford Graves - Percussion Ensemble.

Sonny's Time Now - Sunny Murray

R-1532940-1226565163.jpeg.jpg

A great first side: one of the best Ayler records out there, albeit it's under Sunny's name. I've never been all that happy with the second side. 

Clifford Jordan - In The World.

R-4444957-1434442803-3210.jpeg.jpg

This is one of my favourite straight ahead dates (if you can call it that) from the 70s. It has a real epic quality to it, with great compositions and good solos from a cracking group of musicians. In hindsight it seems crazy the sort of star quality that could be called upon at the time for a record that I believe sunk more or less without a trace commercially.

Sadly, I don't have the original sleeve but instead a rather dopey Polydor version. 

I'm a big fan of that Jordan too, like it more than the hallowed 'Glass Bead Games'. Also own the 'dopey but considerably cheaper' Polydor version, the art department must have been on holiday or on something that day.

I need to get the Murray out again soon too

R-2781478-1300805142.jpeg.jpg\

Illinois Jacquet - How High the Moon (Prestige)
Compiles cuts from Jacquet's Prestige releases, 1968-69

Check out the final sentence from Dan Morgenstern's liner notes: "... don't pay attention to any history of jazz tenor that doesn't have Jacquet's name in bold type."  Bob Porter feels the same. In his book on soul jazz, Porter repeatedly discusses Jacquet's influence and importance. 

Even so, Jacquet does tend to get overlooked, doesn't he? ... Speaking for myself, I know that I "missed the boat" -- until relatively recently. 

But better late than never.  I've had a great time digging into his music over the last year or two.  :) 

On 8.10.2020 at 6:16 PM, sidewinder said:

R-9146040-1548584695-3303.jpeg.jpg

My record!

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

R-3138016-1568099002-5874.jpeg.jpg

Blue lable

My record!°

On 8.10.2020 at 7:15 PM, bresna said:

Curtis Counce - You Get More Bounce With Curtis Counce (Analogue Productions 33 rpm). This is a nice, swinging date that I've always liked. This Analogue Productions LP sounds incredible. Butler's drums sound particularly crisp. They really did a nice job with the tapes.

R-4765432-1374805004-2191.jpeg.jpg

My record!

Now:

R-2422835-1296310616.jpeg.jpg

Art Pepper - Artworks (Galaxy, 1984)
Outtakes from the So In Love sessions -- with George Cables, Charlie Haden and Billy Higgins

Coming up next:

R-4492543-1476523088-1137.jpeg.jpg

Art Pepper - Roadgame (Galaxy, 1982)
The first of three Galaxy LPs from Pepper's engagement at the Maiden Voyage nightclub in L.A. -- with George Cables, David Williams and Carl Burnett

horrible cover pic on discogs there- i am keeping it   Its different enough to be unique and it sounds good, not really a phil woods guy but the two guitars, barely credited by name even though guitar is prominently featured in the lp title & art / concept.  you have to read the liners and somewhere in the middle of paragraph 4 sentence 2 it says the guitar players.  phil woods gets his name on the lp next to the pics of the guitar below, very strange. anyways, now i will type the names of the two guitar players- they are:

-Barry Galbraith

-Jimmy Rainey