Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, optatio said:

Dewey Redman was the reason to buy the LP. But Mark Helias' debut as a leader is convincing. See Robert Palmer, paragraph 7 https://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/17/arts/top-bassists-are-the-bottom-line-in-jazz-ensembles.html. But there is no reissue on CD http://www.enjajazz.de/artist.htm#h

Yep .... Mark Helias still underrated ....

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

Tell me more, please?

On 5/7/2015 at 6:37 PM, bresna said:

Roy Eldridge - Richie Kamuca Quintet - Comin' Home Baby (Pumpkin Productions) - Recorded live at the Half Note August 22, 1965 & March 25, 1966 but remained unissued until 1978.

Eldridge - trumpet

Kamuca - tenor

Dick Katz - piano

Tommy Potter - bass*

Eddie Locke - drums

* Potter replaced by Don Moore on the 2 tracks recorded on March 25, 1966.

This is an interesting date that I bought much more Kamuca's presence than Eldridge's. It almost seems like they alternate songs for who's featured. The pianist-turned-producer plays a decent piano, if a little out of tune in places. The earlier stuff is in better sound. I wonder if there is more somewhere? I'd really like to hear it. What I have here is very good.

BTW, I've been looking for this for some time.... :)

Herbie Mann and Bobby Jaspar, Flute Flight  (Prestige/Status)

Earl Hines/Teddy Wilson/Ellis Larkins/Marian McPartland, Jazz Concert in Argentina (Halcyon)Image result for Herbie mann bobby jaspar flute flightImage result for jazz concert in argentina halcyon

Le Tout Puissaint Orchestre Poly-Rhythmo (Strut)

Dick Johnson Quartet, Music for Swinging Moderns (Emarcy)Image result for tout puissaint orchestre poly rhthymo strutImage result for dick johnson music for swinging modernsImage result for sidi toure toubalbero

Sidi Toure, Toubalbero

Edited by kh1958

52 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

MI0002070631.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Woody Herman - The Best of the Decca Years (MCA)

That looks interesting, kh.  What do you think of it?

Well recorded double album with one side to each pianist. All solo piano. Marian McPartland is the producer. Earl Hines and Teddy Wilson sides are  superb. There are perhaps too many medleys, if that bothers you. Definitely a feast of fine solo piano.  

Edited by kh1958

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

Well recorded double album with one side to each pianist. All solo piano. Marian McPartland is the producer. Earl Hines and Teddy Wilson sides are  superb. There are perhaps too many medleys, if that bothers you. Definitely a feast of fine solo piano.  

Thanks! 👍

R-8028332-1471478226-5675.jpeg.jpg

Illinois Jacquet - The Message with Kenny Burrell (Argo/Chess)
Jazz Stop series reissue

and

R-5773756-1402708427-6310.jpeg.jpg

Art Pepper Quartet - The Maiden Voyage Sessions, Vol. 3 (Galaxy)

a1760079193_10.jpg

Laurie Pepper:  "These 3 nights at the Maiden Voyage in L.A. with George Cables, David Williams, and Carl Burnett were some of the most memorable nights of my life. This was Art's road band at the end of his life. They'd been touring nonstop for about a year, and they were tight."

Edited by HutchFan

38 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

A1aDVIiqF0L._SX425_.jpg

Picked up the RSD release today along with the Squirrel (haven't spun yet, probably will get to it tomorrow). Mighty fine indeed. 

Grabbed the two Gordons as well.  I have the Squirrel on a Blue Note CD, but this one was new to me.  Gave it a spin - very solid! 

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Grabbed the two Gordons as well.  I have the Squirrel on a Blue Note CD, but this one was new to me.  Gave it a spin - very solid! 

Agreed! Almost passed to wait for the cd which included two more songs but figured i would just check on Apple Music. I don’t have the Squirrel so I decided to splurge. 

559655.jpg

Purple label. Stitt on Varitone.

R-2293073-1407868526-6595.jpeg.jpg

11 hours ago, Eric said:

I think only ‘The Squirrel’ of those Dexter’s was available over here. Even that wasn’t on offer at my usual outlet. On the other hand, they did have 2 copies of ‘Stonebone’.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

559655.jpg

Purple label. Stitt on Varitone.

I think only ‘The Squirrel’ of those Dexter’s was available over here. Even that wasn’t on offer at my usual outlet. On the other hand, they did have 2 copies of ‘Stonebone’.

I didn’t see Stonebone on the list at my shop. 

how is that Sonny? I’m not as familiar with his Varitone stuff.